Author Topic: This is Why You Should Practice with Both Hands  (Read 4796 times)

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
This is Why You Should Practice with Both Hands
« on: September 20, 2018, 07:34:13 PM »
Well gang, there really is a lot of value added for spending a little time with each range trip shooting with your main gun hand and with your support hand.  For about the last month, I've been forced to carry wrong handed due to having broken my gun hand in a golfing accident that will require surgery.  Since this has happened, I've been carrying my P99 on the left side, and I must say, I feel much more comfortable doing this than I would were I someone that never bothered to shoot left handed on my range trips.  Now, I'm not a great shot left handed, but I can at least hit a man sized silhouette target at the critical defense distances I need to own... the width of my car at about a yard and a half, the length of my car at about 6 feet, the length of my car at about 15 feet, the distance from the far wall in my house to my front door by line of sight at around 74 feet, the distance from the side of my bed to my bedroom door at about 18 feet, and the distance from the bottom of my basement stairs to the door out to the patio at about 74 feet.  Being able to hit my target and group decently makes me much more comfortable carrying lefty until my right hand is back to 100%.  Bottom line, develop some proficiency shooting with either hand. 

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: This is Why You Should Practice with Both Hands
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 12:19:56 AM »
I would stop playing that dangerous game of golf lol. But yes thank you for the reminder . I know I certainly could use more off hand practice.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 12:31:20 AM »
While he's thinking, a newsboy goes by shouting about the Waterbury trial. This leads [Walter] Mitty into another fantasy. This time, he's a great pistol shot being interrogated in a courtroom. His defense lawyer argues that Mitty could not have killed the victim, since his right arm was in a sling on the day the murder took place. But Mitty interrupts his lawyer and shouts that he could have killed the man with any gun of any make with his left hand from three hundred feet away.
https://www.shmoop.com/walter-mitty/detailed-summary.html

No innuendo. Just a funny memory.  
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 01:29:34 AM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 11:48:46 AM »
I will add to that practice magazine swaps ONE HANDED.  We have a COF at action pistol, if
you run dry weak handed that is the ONLY hand you can use to reload.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 04:10:33 PM »
I remember back when I did my CC training we had to shot with both hands at moving and still targets. Being a right hander all my life I was surprised at how good I did with my left hand. The other hand eye co-ordination is tricky, but can be overcome with a little practice.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

topper

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 12:49:14 AM »
I've been forced to carry wrong handed due to having broken my gun hand in a golfing accident that will require surgery.  

I've always suspected golf to be a dangerous game.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 01:05:48 PM »
I've been forced to carry wrong handed due to having broken my gun hand in a golfing accident that will require surgery.  

I've always suspected golf to be a dangerous game.

Golf is a massively dangerous game, but at least an alligator didn't bite my hand off.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 01:59:03 PM »
I have a new Kydex holster, the V3 Stingray, coming this week from Clinger holsters. It can be used by left or right handed shooters by just moving the belt clip to the preferred side. I also use a Ruger SR9 which has the safety on both sides of the gun for left or right handed shooters. This will be a great combo.

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 06:45:45 PM »
I actually have holsters for both sides — since I am highly accident prone. 

Also, if you ever go shopping on Black Friday, it’s impossible to have too many guns strapped onto your body.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 10:15:45 PM »
I don't shop. I buy what I need from a store I like and at the most reasonable price I can get it. You won't find me out of the house on Black Friday. Never have, never will.

Black Friday is a merchandising scam!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 01:49:11 PM by SturmRugerSR9 »

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 12:18:59 PM »
Im going to continue being left handed for purposes of carry for at least the next couple of weeks as I'm now in a post-op cast.  As for leaving the house on Black Friday, the only reason I'd be venturing out is for my annual post Thanksgiving round of golf with my dad.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 06:58:40 PM »
Im going to continue being left handed for purposes of carry for at least the next couple of weeks as I'm now in a post-op cast.  As for leaving the house on Black Friday, the only reason I'd be venturing out is for my annual post Thanksgiving round of golf with my dad.
Driving, chipping, and putting left-handed?
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 12:03:01 PM »
Driving, chipping, and putting left-handed?

Couldn't hurt anything, but at it looks like I should be back to being proper handed by mid November