Author Topic: Condition of Readiness for a NEW CCDW holder?  (Read 13372 times)

trevor

Condition of Readiness for a NEW CCDW holder?
« on: December 13, 2009, 10:30:08 AM »
I know most of the folks around here are seasoned CCDW-ers. I know some are even firearm safety educators, so I'm looking for your expert opinion.  I just recently got my CCDW, and although I've taken the requisite training, and have spent many hours at the range of late, I am by no measure experienced. I do my best to be safe and responsible, but am just as liable to make a mistake as the next person--and I don't want a 'newbie' mistake to translate into an AD.  I am trying to be safe, and learn. I am not afraid of my gun, and am carrying it, concealed and holstered,  everywhere the law (and the business owners) allows. I'm getting to the range almost every weekend.

That said, I am wondering if you have an opinion and advice (yes, I'm opening THAT can o worms) as to what condition you think is either smartest, safest, or both to carry. I've only got a Glock, so I can either have one in the chamber or not, which (and correct me if I got it wrong) implies either condition 1 or 3.

So, what makes sense, from your perspective, as the condition (see Older thread: http://deccw.com/index.php?topic=142.15 )for a developing CCDW to carry in? I've started off carrying  a full mag with an empty chamber (Israeli Carry) understanding the trade off of speed-vs-add'l margin of safety from an AD. At what point would it make sense for me to carry 15 + 1? I understand I own the choice, but what do you think?

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
Re: Condition of Readiness for a NEW CCDW holder?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
First and formost go with what makes you most compfortable and practice with it. If its condition 3 get used to drawing and racking the slide so that it becomes second nature. I personally would not feel compfortable carrying a Glock in condition 1 either (I know they're safe, it is 110% my own mental goofyness) I carry my xd in condition 1(I know there isnt a huge difference but the grip safety is my pacifier) with practice racking the slide will only add a second or so to your draw time but my fear is that in an armed confrontation, seconds count.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 01:36:21 PM »
I carry my Glock in condition one and feel 100% safe with it this way. I can also can attest to their trigger safety saving my butt once when my finger slipped off the frame when I went to remove my Glock from its holster and caught the side of the trigger with my finger. But like GunEnvy said carry the way you feel most comfortable. I personally feel one in the chamber can be a life saver when seconds count.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Grebnehtor

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 03:29:02 AM »
I'm waiting on my permit but I can say honestly that I don't see how you could carry it without the gun chambered and ready to go.  God forbid the need ever arises you need to draw and fire the weapon, but it needs to be ready to go if you carry it.

Another thought I had was if you ever did shoot someone and got sued.  I can't believe it'd bode well for you if they found out you had time to draw the weapon, chamber it, take aim and then fire.  They may look at it as you had time to do all of that, there was another way to defuse the situation.  I just think that would hurt your case as justified as you may have been.  I personally as a juror wouldn't hold that against someone at all, but I know how it could be construed that it was almost premeditated.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 12:29:10 PM »
I carry Condition 1 at all times.  I do agree with Sig and GunEnvy... carry the way you feel comfortable.  That being said, ready to rock and roll is the only way I feel comfortable carrying.  Carrying a firearm does take on a whole new set of responsibilities.  My husband laughs and says that he can tell when I'm carrying just by the way I act.  I have a natural hightened sense of awareness.  When I'm carrying, it becomes even more so. 

What makes you more comfortable carrying without having anything in the chamber?  Just curious.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 01:09:36 PM »
Locked, cocked, ready to ROCK!
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

trevor

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 05:51:45 PM »
Thanks, Sig, Gun, Greb. I definitely agree that condition one is the most efficient, that seconds can count, and that having to rack means having both arms available and uninjured. Unchambered is slower and adds some risk when seconds count.

I'm sure that I'll get there, but as a young lad learned a hard lesson about overconfidence. I was new to motorcycling, and didn't have the skills I thought I did. The road curved sharper than my speed and newbie skills could accommodate. Fortunately it was a single bike accident and the road rash covering my back and shoulder didn't go significantly deeper than my (then) young ego!

Radnor: I suspected all that!  ;)

Moosie:

Thanks for your thoughts. The spouse thing is kind of funny for me - she's still asking me, "are you carrying right now?"  Usually followed by "why?" I tell her that my intent is to carry wherever the Law and my employer allows...but I think she's still not convinced this isn't a phase or something!  ::)

Well, I'm going from not carrying anything at all 3 weeks ago-- so carrying condition 3 is a large improvement in terms of self-defense.  I'm still trying to work out what works in terms of a holster, and so I don't have huge confidence in re holstering without incident just yet. I'm OK at the range in terms of accuracy, but brand new at drawing. I've seen cautionary tales of AD's due to clothing snags. I'm confident in my muzzle control, trigger control, etc. I suspect once I settle down with a holster location and type that works, and once I get in a good amount of draw and re-holster practice, condition one will become my norm.

I think you have and like a supertuck, and it is on my short list. But I'm just using a cheap nylon bulldog  (I do have a serious 1 3/4 inch belt)  right now to get used to the presence of the 19. My next step would be to get a holster that works in the location that seems best. Once I know the way to carry, I will be investing in a good quality holster, but can't afford to buy several good holsters. Once Christmas is over, I'll be able to think about the $100 for my new holster.

I guess once I gain confidence in my draw and reholster, I'll go to condition one. I'm just happy to have it on my hip instead of in the safe.  ;)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 05:55:59 PM by trevor »

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 10:00:35 PM »
No worries Trevor, you'll get there. I know for me it took abit of time to get safely compfortable with having a loaded weapon on my hip and or in my pocket. We're taught (atleast I know I was) that a loaded weapon is dangerous and should only be handled at the range. It most certainly took me some time to get used to it.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 04:41:14 PM »
I carry condition 1. Locked and loaded with the safety on. No one can say what is right for you and you have to go with what you are comfortable with.  We try to imagine the worst case scenario and think about what we will do and how we will do it.  One thing you need to think about is will you have 2 hands available to chamber a round?  You could be injured in one arm or have the other arm controlled by one or more assailants.  Can you draw and fire with just one hand?  I prefer the safety engaged to give the weapon a proprietary element.  I know the safety is on and how to disengage it, the bad guy does not.  In a recent study on shootings of police officers who were shot with their own guns, it was shown that those that had a manual safety engaged had a time frame of 17 seconds to react as compared to 3 seconds to those with no safety engaged. 

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 06:32:57 PM »
Speaking of being ready for things around us, I realized this morning as I exited my house that my gun was buried in my purse, my hands full, and fumbling for my keys to get in my car.  NOT GOOD!!!!  For some reason, I asked myself where my gun was and how quickly I coudl get to it RIGHT THEN..   I quickly went back in the house, rectified the situation and then went on my merry way.

We can all get comfortable with how or what we're carrying, but just keep your "readiness" in the back of your mind, please. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Hank

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 07:33:27 PM »
Hi all.
I don't like the what If's, but I will take a run at It.
As many said before , what ever you are most confortable with. 3 seconds In a must do,right now world can be a life time, you will not have the time to think! all bets off, hopefully your training should kick In, and that's why you must train for this " How do you get to Carnegie Hall, Practice, practice, practice " It sounds like a joke, but It's very true!!! If one Is new to the self defence shooting and you take a course and pass everything, that's good but you are not ready, NO Then one will say, are you ever really ready, I say no again, but better trained. There are to many , what If's

There Is no easy answers to this, If you do not train, you will have nothing to fall back on, and In a state like PA. they have no training required, It's a must issue state, I had my CCW from there for 10 years, but I at least had my military training, U.S.M.C. but others did not, just like my wife, she had none. Am I ready now, NO, better trained, Yes.

I hope this Is not taken the wrong way, I'm not saying people should not be able to defend them selves and with any means thay can, I say carry the biggest weapon that you are able to handle. But get all the training that you can handle, and then some!!!Please remember that the bumbs have no rules, and also there are no rules In a gun fight. The good news is, the bumbs don't train, but they do have surprise going for them!!! Good luck to you, and Semper Fi to all. Hank.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 09:22:19 PM »
Hank,  What if that I didn't take that the wrong way?  haha ;D  sorry but I had to.
I think you hit the nail right on the head. Many of us (us as in CCCWers) myself included get lulled into a false sense of security because we carry a gun or we took ONE class however many years ago. we go to the range once or twice a month (some I know not that often) load five rounds in a mag, take a deep breath bring the gun up and slowly sqeeze off five rounds at a time and declare ourselves ready for anything. I know I'll go to the range with the intent to practice things such as clearing jams, reloads, weak hand shooting and half way home I realize I did none of those things.

Hank

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 12:32:51 PM »
Hi again, I'm back!!!
Gun Envy I like your sense of humor, many more need It.
Trevor I wanted to answer your question about how to carry your Glock, but I got a littled carried away with my what Ifs. Remember what I had said about training, and how that hopefully kicks In when needed. Also you do not want to have to much to remember, you are not going to have the time!!! If you don't have a bullet In the chamber, you are going to have to put one there, If not, you may be bettter off If you had a baseball bat. Why give yourself just that much more to do when you don't have the time In the first place, or chould be the last place???

In a remote way It's like having laser sights on a combat weapon, I say, NO, Mommy I can't do my homework, my batteries are dead!!! Just some thing else to think about. Call 911, the police are only minutes away, when seconds count!!! I know another can of worms. Just way too many " What If's for me. I have been shooting for a very long time ever sinse the early 50s and I don't know it all by a long shot. For every question there are always 10 or more answers. So you have to find what works best for you, and not me, or anyone else, just you!!!

Good luck to you and keep shooting. Semper Fi all. Hank

Póg Mo Thóin

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2009, 01:55:09 PM »
well as everyone stated, its all on comfort. Let me slide another tidbit of info regarding carrying conditions. whether you use colors or numbers its all the same. but the biggest thing i can say is your carrying for a reason... your carrying to defend yourself, family , or property. when bad things happen there isnt alot of time to react, seconds matter. if you have any military or police training you think that alot of the steps they teach are brilliant until you have to use them. any event that takes gross motor skills to use is not something you want to depend on. simple tasks become complex in a stressful situation. thats why the term practice like you fight. muscle memory is not something that comes easy thousands of reps it will but if you stop training you will lose the muscle memory. so from my training and expierence i always carry hot, round chambered and "safety" off since i carry a pld school P229 and doesnt have a safety. and rememer this for a defination for a safety a mechanical device thats desitined to fail. so with that being said, the only real safetys you have are your brain and your trigger finger. with those in place you will never have a negligent discharge. and btw there term accidental discharge is long gone.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009, 05:22:57 PM »
HAHA....Just had a memory from Fire 1 pop into my head, There is no such thing as a rekindle! Just a poorly extinguished fire.