Author Topic: Walther PPS recoil spring  (Read 3723 times)

Cutter

Walther PPS recoil spring
« on: January 06, 2019, 10:04:12 AM »
Good morning...I continue struggling to rack the slide on my PPS 9mm. I thought it would loosen up after a while but now with over 1000 rounds fired, it seems to be about the same. I unfortunately don’t have much grip strength and I’m wondering if installing maybe a spring with less strength would help without effecting the performance of the weapon. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Packing_Nine

Re: Walther PPS recoil spring
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 02:39:59 PM »
The PPS is not an especially large sidearm. The weight of the spring needs to be correctly matched to the power of the load, otherwise you may risk timing errors or excessive wear to the pistol. I would trust that Walther has correctly sized the spring from the factory, and resist the temptation to experiment. Remember you are holding 400 to 600 joules of energy in your hand. I like my fingers.

Have you tried different techniques to rack the slide? The slingshot method is popular, but requires a fair amount of strength to pinch the slide between the thumb and index finger. Instead, try an overhand release. Racking the slide ought to be about technique, not strength.

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 03:08:23 PM »
As my carry gun I'm well aware it does not get any easier racking over time and rounds. I also own a Glock 43 and it is easily racked. I think your grip strength would appreciate an new pistol. Maybe you should go see Chris and try a few. I'm sure there is a market for trade with the PPS. It is well made and shoots straight.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 06:27:44 PM »
... Have you tried different techniques to rack the slide? The slingshot method is popular, but requires a fair amount of strength to pinch the slide between the thumb and index finger. Instead, try an overhand release. Racking the slide ought to be about technique, not strength.
In the overhand racking technique, push with the strong hand while holding the support hand rather than pulling back with the support hand. 
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Cutter

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 10:49:41 PM »
Thanks for comments gentlemen.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 10:26:15 PM »
What they said, but many people have trouble with semi-auto pistols.  Consider a revolver??
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 04:04:35 PM »
The PPS is an outstanding handgun but it’s spring is strong for sure. I’ve seen a number of people try replacing it and they have all stated it causes issues. If the spring weight is an issue for you then selecting a different carry piece would be wise. As stated above, I’d suggest dropping by Chris’ place and handling a few to find what works best for you.

Have you looked at the larger Walther PPQ? This is my choice in an MTAC holster and matching belt. Wife carries the PPS. Both the classic versions with paddle release.