Author Topic: continued progress in advancing CCWs in California in 2018 - '19!  (Read 2784 times)

Paladin4CA

Another year and more CCW progress in CA. On Jan 1st, a new sheriff took office in Riverside Co who campaigned on accepting merely "self defense" as a sufficient Good Cause requirement. That moved Riverside Co from light green to dark green on the CA CCW GC map.

In Sonoma Co, 1 of the 9 SF Bay Area counties, new sheriff Mark Essick has said he'll liberalize CCW issuance like neighboring counties, so that moves Sonoma Co from light red to light green.

Yolo Co, that island of light red in a sea of green in NorCal, has said he'll maintain current policy but wants to hear from the community to decide, so it remains light red for now.

San Luis Obispo reverts back to yellow from light green due to the sheriff requiring city applicants to go through their city's PD first. Plus, they, like Napa Co SO, have always been on the border between light green and yellow, so while this is a change in color, it's not really a change in practice.

ETA: In Los Angeles Co, new sheriff Alex Villenueve promised to issue more CCWs, but not accept "self defense" as sufficient Good Cause, so we conservatively changed it to light red from dark red.

All in all, slow, steady progress with no real losses. There are fewer and fewer non-green counties. Hopefully, by 2019 Dec 31 we'll break 120,000 CCWers in the state for another record.

So, until SCOTUS declares we have a Right to Bear Arms (openly? concealed? either?), we, behind the enemy lines in CA, continue the fight, county-by-county.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 04:08:39 PM by Paladin4CA »
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA-ILA supporter

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: continued progress in advancing CCWs in California in 2018!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 09:46:16 PM »
I don’t reckon that Gov Newsom will direct his AG to grant reciprocity at the county level.  Then again, I won’t be Painting My Wagon so, machts nicht.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 10:44:27 PM »
Big problem with Californians is that they leave and keep voting the same way contaminating other states like Nevada, Idaho and Arizona. 
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 11:03:07 PM »
Actually, I was surprised to see that much green in CA.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Paladin4CA

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 01:00:09 AM »
I don’t reckon that Gov Newsom will direct his AG to grant reciprocity at the county level.
CA CCWs, while issued by either a county's sheriff or a city's PD, are good throughout the state.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 03:54:41 PM by Paladin4CA »
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA-ILA supporter

Paladin4CA

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 01:03:11 AM »
Big problem with Californians is that they leave and keep voting the same way contaminating other states like Nevada, Idaho and Arizona.
More people are into CCWs than are into AWs. CCWs are the "gateway drug" to becoming gunnies and 2nd A RKBA defenders. More of those, esp in CA, is good for the whole nation.
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA-ILA supporter

Paladin4CA

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 01:05:13 AM »
Actually, I was surprised to see that much green in CA.
We're getting down to only a handful of hardcore anti major population centers and a few others. While we'll still push ahead, our best bet is for SCOTUS to take a Carry case, esp if RBG is replaced....
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA-ILA supporter

Paladin4CA

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 04:08:16 PM »
Brief update:

I see I forgot to mention that Contra Costa County switched from light red to yellow last year. That is a small, but important change given that it is 1 of the 9 SF Bay Area counties and is a major population center too (1M). We've already won 3 others SFBA counties: Sonoma, Napa and Solano. CoCoCo isn't considered a "win" yet since it is not a shade of green yet.

Speaking of Sonoma County, it appears new Sheriff Essick has kept his word, CCWs are being issued. Dittos for Riverside Co.

Los Angeles County, under new sheriff Villanueva, so far has been a disappointment. No news of positive change despite his campaign promise to issue more CCWs. Virtually identical CCW policy on their website as under previous sheriff. We'll keep watching it.

We're getting initial reports that the new sheriff in Yolo Co (the north most red county), Lopez, has liberalized issuance. We should know in 1 to 3 months whether it deserves a change to at least light green.

That's it for now. Yet again, continued progress with no losses.

FYI the map embedded above automatically updates to show the latest version.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 04:13:33 PM by Paladin4CA »
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA-ILA supporter

Paladin4CA

Re: continued progress in advancing CCWs in California in 2018 - '19!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 07:54:30 AM »
For context and comparison, this is what CA was like re. CCWs 10 years ago, in 2009.

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA-ILA supporter