Author Topic: Moving to Delaware  (Read 6129 times)

Jz1

Moving to Delaware
« on: January 13, 2019, 12:26:24 AM »
Wondering if anyone has experience as a new resident applying for a permit? I currently have one in Pennsylvania. Trying to figure out how to get references from people in the county when I am a new resident and do not know anyone. In PA, just need 3 references and can live anywhere. Any comments would be great, thanks.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: Moving to Delaware
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 01:57:08 AM »
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 02:03:59 AM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Wayne15464

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 12:18:26 AM »
Jz1, I wish you much luck, when I moved to Delaware (many years ago), I also had my PA CCW (obtained in 1985) and found the DE process difficult and very, very time intensive (not even to speak of the money involved).

The process has become somewhat easier over the years (from my understanding), but if I remember the paperwork correctly, the DE references need to have known you at least a year (and be happy that you no longer need them to be in your voting district AND registered voters, and then have them checked and confirmed).

All I can tell you is good luck and do NOT let the process get you down, as that is the true purpose of it (the process), to get you to not complete it.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 12:12:59 PM »
Welcome Jz!

If you have questions, please feel free to ask at anytime.
It's not a hard process, just LOTS of hoops.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 07:01:10 PM »
... but if I remember the paperwork correctly, the DE references need to have known you at least a year ...
11 Del C. 1441 a2 reads:
(2) At the same time the person shall file, with the Prothonotary, a certificate of 5 respectable citizens of the county in which the applicant resides at the time of filing the application. The certificate shall clearly state that the applicant is a person of full age, sobriety and good moral character, that the applicant bears a good reputation for peace and good order in the community in which the applicant resides, and that the carrying of a concealed deadly weapon by the applicant is necessary for the protection of the applicant or the applicant's property, or both. The certificate shall be signed with the proper signatures and in the proper handwriting of each such respectable citizen.

Based solely on the above, there appears to be no restriction on relationship or duration of acquaintance.  In the past, IIRC, the AG website excluded relatives as references but no longer addresses references by only referring to the DE law (above).  I don’t remember where the one year requirement came from.  In my early 2013 initial app, I had lived in DE five months after escaping from MD.  Two references where friends on my son who I had met with occasionally over previous years.  The other three were people are met while residing in DE and saw regularly.  Previous background and age may play into the approval process, so I might be an outlier.  YMMV.
@jz1, stay the course; the resulting permit is worth the effort.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 07:08:43 PM by Cbmarine »
New Castle County

Jz1

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 12:29:13 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Going to get a Utah permit to allow carry in Delaware until I can apply for a Delaware permit.

RLS

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 01:12:03 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Going to get a Utah permit to allow carry in Delaware until I can apply for a Delaware permit.

A Delaware resident can only legally carry concealed with a Delaware CCDW.

Rick

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 01:20:29 AM »

Rick

Rick is absolutely right, and this is a very important point that bears repeating in bold type:
From the moment you become a Delaware resident, you will not be able to carry a concealed firearm until you get a Delaware CCDW permit.

A Delaware driver's license + any non-Delaware permit + a concealed firearm = one or more felony charges.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 03:48:54 AM »

Rick
@RLS and @OGG are correct.
DE DOJ Criminal Justice Division, Concealed Weapons Reciprocity
Delaware Resident Permits To Carry Concealed Deadly Weapons

A Delaware resident desiring to carry a concealed deadly weapon in this state must have a Delaware license to do so. A Delaware resident is someone who carries or is required to have a Delaware driver’s license and/or is registered to vote in Delaware.
New Castle County

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 09:05:18 AM »
 Yep. The Utah ccw is a workaround for out-of-staters who wish to carry here. And that may have changed.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 06:43:49 PM »
Yep. The Utah ccw is a workaround for out-of-staters who wish to carry here. And that may have changed.
Current reciprocity unclear.  AG’s website lists reciprocity effective 15 Jan 2018 to 14 Jan 2019.  

Then again, as is typical with DE governmentese. It says further down.
There are currently no notices of pending removal that would take effect January 15, 2019.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 06:51:58 PM by Cbmarine »
New Castle County

RLS

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 10:31:19 PM »
From 1441:

This is in section (j)

The Attorney General shall publish on January 15 of each year a list of all States which have qualified for reciprocity under this subsection. Such list shall be valid for one year and any removal of a State from the list shall not occur without 1 year's notice of such impending removal. Such list shall be made readily available to all State and local law-enforcement agencies within the State as well as to all then-current holders of licenses issued by the State of Delaware pursuant to this section.

Rick

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 11:09:27 PM »
From 1441:

This is in section (j)

The Attorney General shall publish on January 15 of each year a list of all States which have qualified for reciprocity under this subsection. Such list shall be valid for one year and any removal of a State from the list shall not occur without 1 year's notice of such impending removal. Such list shall be made readily available to all State and local law-enforcement agencies within the State as well as to all then-current holders of licenses issued by the State of Delaware pursuant to this section.

Rick
Good catch, @RLS.  Haven’t seen any notification of a pending change.  AG website does not distinguish between resident and non-resident permits, therefore @lynch’s comment on Utah permit is correct and there is no change.  
New Castle County

kepion

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 10:05:39 AM »
I used to live there and 7 years ago the process wasn't easy and I had to do lots of paperwork. I am sure now it's more organised. Now I live in this property in Greece as I had to move out for 3 years due to my work but I still have a house in Delaware.