Author Topic: Handgun laws in other states  (Read 2831 times)

Packing_Nine

Handgun laws in other states
« on: January 23, 2019, 11:06:13 PM »

I understand this is a Delaware oriented forum. However, with several of the recently introduced bills getting based on existing Maryland law, I do not think it inappropriate to study these laws of our neighboring states. Maryland's position on handgun ownership is quite restrictive. They have an "Approved Handgun Roster". If it isn't on the roster, you are not permitted to purchase said handgun in Maryland. I believe it is only illegal to purchase (or offer for sale, or manufacture) handguns on the list. I don't think it is illegal to possess them, such as might happen in a grandfather or a new resident type situation. But, I am not a lawyer. Do your own research.

Approved Handgun Roster:
https://licensingportal.mdsp.maryland.gov/MSPBridgeClient/#/home

One might think that an "Approved Roster" would be sufficient, but Maryland goes as far as to publish a "Banned List". You would assume this is for what they consider to be the truly serious offenders, those firearms so nefarious that they must be outlawed, regardless of the circumstances (grandfather, new resident, etc). Instead, the Banned List states that these handguns are those which are specifically excluded from the Approved Roster. Kind of like, "We're tired of you asking about this one. No, it's not on the list. No, we won't add it. Don't ask us again."

Banned List:
https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Documents/Banned%20List.pdf

So, my question is this. In reviewing the Banned List, I couldn't help but notice that many (but not all) are small caliber, small frame, deep concealment type class weapons. Things that hold five or six rounds at most, and generally .25, .32, or .380 auto. Pocket guns, or mouse guns, or whatever you might like to call them. Is this devised to prevent you from purchasing a handgun ideally suited for concealed carry, in the extremely unlikely event that one actually manages to have such a license issued?

And what's more, certain guns are notably missing from the Banned List. For example, the Kel-Tec P32 is banned. Fair enough, it's a mouse gun. We already figured this out. Also, the Seecamp LWS-25 is banned. Another mouse gun. But, the Seecamp LWS-32 is not on the banned list. How does this make any sense? It's the same size as the LWS-25, same caliber as the P32. In fact, the LWS-32 is specifically on the Approved Roster. And Smith & Wesson J frames? Also not on the banned list, and specifically on the Approved Roster.

Do the politicians drafting these laws have any expertise in the field of firearms whatsoever? These lists and rosters make no sense at all.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: Handgun laws in other states
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 02:24:14 AM »
The banned list looks like a compilation of weapons confiscated on the streets of Baltimore. The number of .22 caliber weapons is surprising. Maryland is worried about the Mossad? Also, how much does the maintenance is these lists cost the MD taxpayer? My worry bead is the copycat DE legislators will make another run on ‘assault’ weapons this year based on the MD list followed by the handgun folly.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 02:52:01 AM »
The banned list is "Saturday Night Special" legislation. The common factor among all those guns is... they are (or were) cheap.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Wayne15464

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 09:23:07 PM »
My memory may be going, BUT, I do not remember Seecamps EVER being cheap?