Author Topic: State Police interaction yesterday while armed  (Read 3430 times)

airman1968

State Police interaction yesterday while armed
« on: April 07, 2019, 08:34:52 PM »
Yesterday I was returning from Georgetown on 113 when a tractor trailer passed me on the left and kicked up a huge piece of plywood. The object went up about 20 ft in front of me so I tried to avoid it with no success. The wood hit the front of my car imp-ailing several large pieces in my bumper and headlight assembly. I pulled over I was fine. Now i needed to get a Trooper out to the scene for a report. I am ARMED and have a CCW. Now I know we don't have to notify BUT I think Police have a tuff job as it is and I felt  I Would inform the trooper when he got on scene. I was thinking what if I bend over and print or whatever. When the Trooper showed up I shock his had thanked him for coming and handed him my ID stating I was armed. His response "I appreciate you letting me know" he handed my CCW card back to me "No problem" he said. We then continued with the report he gave me all the information and incident report and I was on my way. I think that was the right thing to do and all worked out well.
U.S. Air Force Vietnam Veteran
CCDW Delaware, CCW from Ut,Fl,Az,Ma.
NRA Life member
Life Member VFW
Life Member DAV

Just Bill

• Life Member
Re: State Police interaction yesterday while armed
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 09:32:06 PM »
It's always a good idea if they don't have to second guess the situation.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 10:57:58 PM »
Well done.

A Wilmington cop explained it to me like this:
"If your gun is a surprise to me, I WILL blow your f***ing head off."

If I had to patrol the streets of Wilmington, I would likely have the same attitude.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 11:53:19 AM »
1st, good to hear you re ok.

Would have done the same thing in notifying him (or her).
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

navitimer806

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 09:23:45 PM »

Police need to be aware that there are a larger number of people with CCDW permits  out there and that those are the good guys.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 12:12:56 PM »

Police need to be aware that there are a larger number of people with CCDW permits  out there and that those are the good guys.

Think it's who you encounter.  Wife and I were walking at the riverfront along the Jackass Markell walk.  She stopped to take a photo.
A group of 4 on bikes were on the bridge too.  Asked if we'd take their photo.  I said sure.  Saw my DSPC hat and I'm sure printing on right hip.
Asked if I was "retired".  I said no.  I knew it was the hat and print.  They wished us well.  And I said to them be safe.  Off they went.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

navitimer806

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 05:48:23 PM »
I’m hoping that the statement referred to in the previous post (…WILL blow your f***ing head off) was really an exaggeration as there is nothing in the statute regarding the justifiable use of deadly force that includes the element of surprise.
I’m old enough to have known a number of police over the years, DSP, NCCPD, Philadelphia PD, and WPD. Some I’ve known better than others but none of the police I knew would have never made the statement referred to in the previous post -they were very professional and honorable people who took a lot of pride in doing a difficult job well. I think that is probably still true today.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 04:41:57 AM »
I’m hoping that the statement referred to in the previous post (…WILL blow your f***ing head off) was really an exaggeration as there is nothing in the statute regarding the justifiable use of deadly force that includes the element of surprise.

I took it as advice: she was telling me to notify the police officer for my own safety. I was grateful for her advice, and I still follow it.
However, there is a justification for use of force in your own dwelling (not what we were talking about, but here it is) that includes the element of surprise:

§ 469 Justification — Person unlawfully in dwelling.

In the prosecution of an occupant of a dwelling charged with killing or injuring an intruder who was unlawfully in said dwelling, it shall be a defense that the occupant was in the occupant's own dwelling at the time of the offense, and:

(1) The encounter between the occupant and intruder was sudden and unexpected, compelling the occupant to act instantly; or

(2) The occupant reasonably believed that the intruder would inflict personal injury upon the occupant or others in the dwelling; or

(3) The occupant demanded that the intruder disarm or surrender, and the intruder refused to do so.

I made sure my wife is well aware of that particular item in the law. If she has a sudden and unexpected encounter with an intruder in our home, I want her to act instantly.
In related news, the new Magpul 50-round drum for her AR-10 just came in today. It'll hold a whole lotta "instantly."
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

navitimer806

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 12:34:13 AM »

However, there is a justification for use of force in your own dwelling (not what we were talking about, but here it is) that includes the element of surprise:

§ 469 Justification — Person unlawfully in dwelling.

In the prosecution of an occupant of a dwelling charged with killing or injuring an intruder who was unlawfully in said dwelling, it shall be a defense that the occupant was in the occupant's own dwelling at the time of the offense, and:

(1) The encounter between the occupant and intruder was sudden and unexpected, compelling the occupant to act instantly; or

(2) The occupant reasonably believed that the intruder would inflict personal injury upon the occupant or others in the dwelling; or

(3) The occupant demanded that the intruder disarm or surrender, and the intruder refused to do so.

[/quote]

Thanks for this.

Wayne15464

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 05:06:15 PM »
I’m old enough to have known a number of police over the years, DSP, NCCPD, Philadelphia PD, and WPD. Some I’ve known better than others but none of the police I knew would have never made the statement referred to in the previous post -they were very professional and honorable people who took a lot of pride in doing a difficult job well. I think that is probably still true today.

I agree, that was a very unprofessional statement to make.

I have known and worked with hundreds of Officers, in the Tri-State area and can only think of a handful that might make such a statement, and trust me when I tell you they are not thought of very highly by anyone I know.

Sparky313

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 02:50:02 PM »
 I was in an accident yesterday. Where I was rear ended and it rang my bell pretty good. I staggered my way to side of road leaving my EDC firearm and wallet in my lunch box between seats.  The responding officers arrived ,NCC and State troopers. I informed them that I was CCW holder and my weapon was still in vehicle. They couldn’t have been more professional and said they would secure it for me while I was taken to hospital in ambulance. When I was released latter in night. Officers return my firearm and asked how I was doing. I just wanted tell my little story and say there are a lot of good LEOs out there