Author Topic: DE: "3 gun bills to be heard in Senate committee today"  (Read 3809 times)

Paladin4CA

DE: "3 gun bills to be heard in Senate committee today"
« on: May 08, 2019, 04:41:57 PM »
3 gun bills to be heard in Senate committee today
May 8th, 2019 · by · Comments:

DOVER — A Senate committee is set to hear three highly controversial gun bills this afternoon.

The Senate Executive Committee is scheduled to convene at 2:30 today to listen to testimony and vote on legislation that would create a permitting process to buy a firearm, ban “assault weapons” and prohibit magazines capable of holding more than 15 rounds.

The measures have generated significant debate since being introduced last month, with supporters arguing they can reduce gun violence while others counter they are unconstitutional and would do more to burden law-abiding gun owners than to stop would-be criminals.

Because Democrats have a four to two majority on the committee, the three bills are expected to be released to the full chamber. But even if they pass through the committee as expected, a floor vote will be a different proposition.
More at: https://delawarestatenews.net/government/3-gun-bills-to-be-heard-in-senate-committee-today/
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA-ILA supporter

Just Bill

• Life Member
Re: DE: "3 gun bills to be heard in Senate committee today"
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 10:58:02 PM »
Soooooo, I am just a short session or two away from becoming a criminal..... ??? >:(
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 12:27:43 PM »
Up until I left, I do not believe the backer has been signed.  Could they have done some BS after the public left - possible.

There was a great verbal beat down of Sen Sturgeon by Sen Hocker.  PRICELESS!
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 02:05:26 PM »
Up until I left, I do not believe the backer has been signed.  Could they have done some BS after the public left - possible.

There was a great verbal beat down of Sen Sturgeon by Sen Hocker.  PRICELESS!

Did Sen Hocker mention the $3M/yr cost to administer this permit goat rope during the verbal lashing?
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 02:26:33 PM »
Yes.
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 02:52:50 PM »
DSSA just sent out this email.  All the bills are still in committee.

SECOND AMENDMENT ACTION ALERT NETWORK

(Just as a reminder, you are receiving this Alert because you have asked to be informed)

ACTION ALERT
!! ACTION NEEDED NOW TO PRESERVE AMERICAN FREEDOMS!

STATUS REPORT  - LEGISLATIVE HALL
May 9, 2019
Hundreds of freedom-loving Constitutional Activists responded to Legislative Hall in opposition to the
Carney-Townsend Gun Ban Trifecta - Senate Bills 68, 70 & 82.
Good Job! Thanks for being there! Your participation was very important.
Although only a fraction of the 100+ were allowed to speak, the message was clear - LEAVE US ALONE!
Now it's time to keep the heat on - don't let up - let your voices be heard!

At the end of the hearing, the Executive Committee did not release any of the three bills - we still have work to do!

STOP THE CARNEY/TOWNSEND GUN BAN TRIFECTA

SENATE BILL 68
 ANOTHER SEMI-AUTO BAN 
SENATE BILL 70
STANDARD CAPACITY MAGAZINE BAN
- 15 ROUND LIMIT
SENATE BILL 82
PURCHASE PERMIT REQUIRED
 SEARCHABLE DATA BASE CREATED

1.SB 68 -  Semi-Auto Ban  - would outlaw thousands upon thousands of semi-auto rifles, pistols and shotguns owned by 10's of thousands of law-abiding Delawareans - including America's favorite rifle the Colt AR-15 and many pistols used by thousands of Delaware home-owners as home and personal defense firearms. Unlike SB 163, this bill contains a registration provision.
The Synopsis of SB 68 is full of lies, half-truths and falsifications - all designed to make your Senators and Representatives believe that it is both necessary and constitutional. They know better.

2. SB 82 - The Permit to Purchase Bill  - not only requires a permit to purchase a firearm it also creates a 30 day waiting period, a buyer registration database and a firearm database for each and every firearm purchased - and many other draconian, unreasonable and unnecessary requirements - very similar to the system used in Connecticut.It is also discriminatory economically and socially.
SB 82 is discriminatory. These permits and the process to get the permits are not free - they will adversely impact the poor who will thus be deprived of their right to defend themselves, their homes and their families -

3. SB 70 - The Ban on Standard Capacity Magazines limits magazine capacity to 15 rounds and contains a confiscation provision. Like SB 69, this bill will adversely impact the poor by rendering existing firearms useless by outlawing the standard capacity magazine that originally came with the firearm when legally sold to the buyer.

ALL THREE BILLS -
SB 68 and SB 70  and SB 82
are
UNCONSTITUTIONAL

Contact the Senators on the Committee today and politely ask them to keep these bills in Committee.
CALL OR EMAIL

Senator Harris B. McDowell (D) SD#1- 302-744-4286 - Harris.McDowell@Delaware.gov.
Senator Catherine Cloutier (R) SD#5 - 302-744-4048
Catherine.Cloutier@Delaware.gov
Senator Bryan Townsend (D) SD#11 - 302-744-4286
Bryan.Townsend@Delaware.gov
Senator Nicole Poore (D) SD#12 - 302-744-4286
Nicole.Poore@Delaware.gov
Senator David B. McBride (D) SD#13 - 302-744-4286
David.McBride@Delaware.gov
Senator Gerald W. Hocker (R) SD#20 - 302-744-4048
Gerald.Hocker@Delaware.gov

You can locate your legislator at the General Assembly's main web page:
http://legis.delaware.gov/
(Look in upper right corner of the page under "Who is My Legislator"

This announcement is being provided to you as a public service to the members of our Action Alert Network

YOUR VOICE IS IMPORTANT - LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD

NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 03:24:01 PM »
I just received an action alert from NRA-ILA to email.  I did.  But changed the body from their response to one of my own.

Made sure I included how MD is scraping their database after 15 years and NO results as a result of keeping it.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-bullet-casings-20151107-story.html
"Maryland scraps gun "fingerprint" database after 15 failed years"

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 03:48:17 PM »
My e-mail to the Senate Executive Committee with cc to my senator and representative.  Received nothing more than automated responses.

Problem Identification:  what identified problem is the focus of the legislation?  The legislation summaries describe the intention but not the problem.  

Intended Consequences:
Reduce mass shootings? Achieve gun registration?  Nikolas Cruz used 10 round mags. Ostensibly lesser capacity magazines would allow victims to rush the shooter when reloading. How often has that happened? NZ shooting went on for 1/2 hour. Coach Aaron Fies did rush Cruz and died protecting his students; prognosticate the result if Aaron Fies had been armed.  Florida is passing additional guardian legislation to correct that tragic error.  In my opinion, it would better to emphasize the FIGHT in “run, hide, fight” through training and providing offensive weapons in the hands of trained capable staff. The  Appo School District ALICE program will have better results than this legislation will achieve.  

Unintended Consequence-Non-compliance:
   New York and Connecticut AW registration didn’t achieve the desired results. As reported by Forbes, of the 350,000 estimated CT gun owners, only 41,347 registration applications were received. The numbers for NY are 44,485 of an estimated 976,153. (See https://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminiter/2015/06/24/nearly-one-million-new-yorkers-didnt-register-their-assault-weapons/#494f4f4e702f ).  Does Delaware anticipate a better result?  
   Average gun owner is going to be bent out of shape in that having done nothing wrong, they are now subject to prosecution due to the acts of others who don’t follow the law.
   Criminals don’t care what the law is.  Unless Delaware can be part of a total elimination of “assault” weapons, the terrorism mantra applies:  law enforcement has to be right 100% of the time, the terrorist only requires one success”.  So one shooter just needs to acquire an “assault” weapon and the fight is on.  

Enforcement:
Any size magazine is easily concealable.  Colorado sheriffs have refused to enforce magazine size limits.

Don’t vote these ineffective laws out of the Senate Executive Committee.  
New Castle County

Paladin4CA

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 05:56:13 PM »
Delaware gun bills stall in committee
May 10th, 2019

DOVER — Three controversial gun bills will not be released from committee, meaning they are essentially dead.

The measures, which were discussed before a packed house in the Senate Executive Committee Wednesday, would have prohibited a variety of semi-automatic firearms classified as “assault weapons,” criminalized magazines capable of holding more than 15 rounds and established a permitting process to buy a gun.

While the bills faced an uphill climb to become law, defeat in the first real test of the legislative process is a surprising outcome and a big blow to gun control advocates. Opponents on the committee still could reverse their decision and send the bills to the entire Senate, but the odds of such a change of opinion appear slim.

In order to release a measure from committee, a majority of members on the panel must sign on, and despite having a 4-2 majority on the Senate Executive Committee, Democrats could not push the bills to the floor for a vote before the full Senate.

President Pro Tempore David McBride, D-New Castle, and Majority Leader Nicole Poore, D-New Castle, opted not to join Majority Whip Bryan Townsend, D-Newark, and Sen. Harris McDowell, D-Wilmington, in signing the bills out of committee. Minority Leader Gerald Hocker, R-Ocean View, and Minority Whip Cathy Cloutier, R-Arden, also did not sign on.
More at: https://delawarestatenews.net/government/delaware-gun-bills-stall-in-committee/

So that you DE folk don't have to depend upon a CA member, here's where I look for these stories: https://www.nraila.org/news/in-the-news/
ETA: News article links for the day are put up about noon (Eastern time) that day.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 06:11:05 PM by Paladin4CA »
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA-ILA supporter

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 06:08:54 PM »
Delaware gun bills stall in committee
May 10th, 2019

DOVER — Three controversial gun bills will not be released from committee, meaning they are essentially dead....
More at: https://delawarestatenews.net/government/delaware-gun-bills-stall-in-committee/

So that you DE folk don't have to depend upon a CA member, here's where I look for these stories: https://www.nraila.org/news/in-the-news/
The above news was posted in a different thread. Our members tend to start new threads while overlooking existing threads on the same topic.
Unfortunately, paraphrasing Mark Twain, SS1 to SB 68 née SH 68 is saying “the reports of my death are greatly exaggerated”.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 07:16:13 PM by Cbmarine »
New Castle County

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 10:09:44 PM »
Delaware's state Senate leader says support for strict gun control measures proposed by fellow Democrats is "almost non-existent."

http://www.wboc.com/story/40466135/senate-leader-no-support-for-delaware-gun-control-measures
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 02:47:46 AM »
Senator McBride made a statement to the media today.  A member of DGR posted the full statement.  Here it is.

Senator McBride:

Today, I released the following statement to the media regarding the three gun-related bills heard Wednesday in the Senate Executive Committee:

“In recent days, I have understandably received a number of questions about Senate Bills 68, 70 and 82, which all relate to the sale or possession of firearms and their accessories.

As it stands now, none of these bills will be coming out of the Senate Executive Committee. After several hours of public debate, these measures simply lack the support they need to pass on the Senate floor.

At the start of this session, I had intended to have a floor vote on all legislation related to firearms. But, at this time, support in the Senate to move SB 68, 70 and 82 forward is almost non-existent.

It is my hope that holding this legislation in committee will allow the sponsors to build a consensus that does not currently exist. To achieve that support, the proponents must, in my view, effectively address at least three issues raised in committee: the effectiveness of this legislation in achieving its intended purpose; the constitutionality of these bills; and the criminalization of what are now legal activities. (my bold)

I believe these are issues that should be resolved through negotiation, if possible; they will not be resolved by protracted debate on the floor of the Delaware Senate.

Unless and until that happens, the Senate will proceed with other important business in the limited number of legislative days that remain.”
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 11:53:45 AM »
Translation:   We will sneak them out when no one is looking!!   

I love the part about ...do they meet expected goals.   They don't and never will.  They only infringe of law abiding citizens.  They will not alter criminal behavior at all.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 04:29:04 PM »
Let’s just keep encouraging those Democrats who at least are willing to listen and not just roll over.  I have no problem looking for solutions that do not infringe on our rights. 

Face it, this is now a democratic state. A one party state. We cannot dismiss every Democrat out there or we will lose in the long run.

Thank God for Delaware gun rights and a DSSA.  As Senator McBride said there is no stomach for this in the Democratic caucus now. It’s just not worth the fight for them right now. So let’s not let our guard down and let’s keep fighting.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 02:09:23 AM »
Well stated, @clarence.  Stephen Covey in his 7 Habits of Highly Effective People describe the Circle of Infuence each person maintains.  We should strive to gain access to our legislator’s circle of influence with our rationally and logically expressed positions but understanding that some people ‘feel’ rather than ‘think’.  

Dr. Sarah Thompson in her Raging Against Self Defense presents the anti-gun mindset.  In the section Communicating with anti-gun people, the recommended approaches are; Anger and Attacks Don’t Work, Be Gentle, Use the Mirror Technique, What Would You Do, etc.
Be patient and gentle. If you are arrogant, condescending, hurtful or rude to the anti–gun person, you will only convince him that gun owners are arrogant, hurtful people — who should not be trusted with guns!

Unfortunately, she concludes with this paragraph so pick your legislator with an attainable circle of influence carefully or do you best to get them voted out of office.
You will also not be successful with the anti–gun ideologues, people like Charles Schumer and Dianne Feinstein. These people have made a conscious choice to oppose firearms ownership and self–defense. They almost always gain power, prestige, and money from their anti–gun politics. They are not interested in the facts or in saving lives. They know the facts and understand the consequences of their actions, and will happily sacrifice innocent people if it furthers their selfish agenda. Do not use these techniques on such people. They only respond to fears of losing the power, prestige and money that they covet.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:00:05 AM by Cbmarine »
New Castle County