Author Topic: Anti-gun Justice Stevens article in The Atlantic  (Read 1678 times)

MarkB

• Life Member
Anti-gun Justice Stevens article in The Atlantic
« on: May 16, 2019, 04:25:52 PM »
I found this article that was published in The Atlantic magazine on May 14, 2019.  It shows the bias and false reasoning about the Second Amendment by most liberals.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/05/john-paul-stevens-court-failed-gun-control/587272/?utm_source=pocket-newtab
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Just Bill

• Life Member
Re: Anti-gun Justice Stevens article in The Atlantic
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 05:02:39 PM »
As with most liberals, he does not understand the definition of a 'militia' as it applied then.  The militia consisted of citizens that were armed with their own firearms, and so they were individuals, not a formal group.  Over time, many countries have considered invading us, but rethink it when they understand that probably half the population is armed.  And as repeated often, there are over 300million firearms and a trillion rounds of ammo in the hands of the citizens.  That is why the libs don't like us, but we are not the problem...we are more likely the solution.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 05:06:17 PM »
I found this article that was published in The Atlantic magazine on May 14, 2019.  It shows the bias and false reasoning about the Second Amendment by most liberals.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/05/john-paul-stevens-court-failed-gun-control/587272/?utm_source=pocket-newtab
A quote from the above referenced article in the left-wing Atlantic magazine counters Senator Townsend’s allegation that we shouldn’t have AR-15 type firearms in that semi-automatic firearms do have a “reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia“.  Firearms proficiency (efficiency) requires access to the firearm and its regular use.

After reviewing many of the same sources that are discussed at greater length by Scalia in his majority opinion in Heller, the Miller Court unanimously concluded that the Second Amendment did not apply to the possession of a firearm that did not have “some relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia.” And in 1980, in a footnote to an opinion upholding a conviction for receipt of a firearm, the Court effectively affirmed Miller, writing: “[T]he Second Amendment guarantees no right to keep and bear a firearm that does not have ‘some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia.’”

The Delaware Constitution Article I, §20 does not mention the militia but does refer to “defense of ... State”.  Granted that my view of defense of the State may differ from Sen. Townsend’s view.

§ 20. Right to keep and bear arms.
Section 20. A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use.
WE DECLARE THAT EVERYTHING IN THIS ARTICLE IS RESERVED OUT OF THE GENERAL POWERS OF GOVERNMENT HEREINAFTER MENTIONED.

The final sentence above is routinely ignored by our current liberal legislators.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 05:08:13 PM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 10:46:01 PM »
The biggest problem the left leaning liberals have with the AR-15 is , to them it looks scary. They are such a bunch of wish washy wimps. The AR-15 is no more of a danger that most semi-automatic hunting rifles.
Well I guess they are going to have to dry their wittle eyes and get a pair. Or maybe they are going to have to find a chill pill to calm their wittle feelings.  Boo Hoo!
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun