Author Topic: Wait Until Next Year!  (Read 1386 times)

MarkB

• Life Member
Wait Until Next Year!
« on: July 03, 2019, 10:48:35 PM »
This is part of an email I received from the House Republican Caucus.  I underlined the firearms related bills.  We will fight again!

Wait Until Next Year: Controversial Bills Await Further Consideration in 2020

Legislative leaders were in no mood to court controversy in the closing days of the 2019 legislative session, leaving many provocative bills in a holding pattern.  All bills not worked this year will still be active and eligible for consideration in the second half of the 150th General Assembly in 2020.  

Among some of the more hotly debated measures still in the legislative pipeline are the following bills:

House Bill 110 -- This measure seeks to make recreational marijuana legal in The First State.  (Status: Pending action in the House Appropriations Committee).  

House Bill 165 -- Known as the Extreme Crimes Protection Act, this bill seeks to restore capital punishment in Delaware.  (Status: Pending action in the House Judiciary Committee).  

House Bill 140 -- This bill seeks to create a process that would allow terminally ill Delawareans, with less than six months to live, to obtain and self-administer a lethal dose of medication.  (Status: Pending action in the House Health & Human Development Committee).

Senate Substitute 1 for Senate Bill 68 -- This bill seeks to ban the sale of dozens of specific makes and models of semi-automatic rifles, shotguns, and handguns in Delaware, as well as weapons with a combination of specified functional or aesthetic attributes.  Those features include a folding stock; a grenade or flare launcher; a flash suppressor; and a pistol grip that "protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon." (Status: Pending action in the Senate Executive Committee.)

Senate Bill 70 -- Also known as the Delaware Large Capacity Magazine Prohibition Act of 2019, this measure seeks to ban the sale and ownership of any firearms' magazines in Delaware with a capacity of more than 15 rounds of ammunition.  The bill would establish a buyback program for non-conforming magazines, at $10 per magazine.  (Status: Pending action in the Senate Executive Committee.)

Senate Bill 82 -- Under this proposal, Delawareans would need to acquire a "handgun qualified purchaser card" to purchase a handgun, or a "firearms qualified purchaser card" to buy rifles or shotguns.  Obtaining the appropriate card would require applicants to complete a firearms training course.  The bill would also create a database of all firearm sales and transfers that would be accessible by law enforcement agencies and the court system.  Individuals with concealed carry permits would be exempt from the bill's requirements. (Status: Pending action in the Senate Executive Committee.)

House Bill 200 -- This bill seeks to divert a minimum of $25 million annually from revenue generated by four specific taxes for a new water project trust fund.  Those funds would be spent on programs related to water quality, water supply, drainage, stormwater management, and flood control.  The Carney administration has expressed reservations about the bill based on its revenue earmarks.  Some legislators maintain the proposal cannot achieve its goals because, as a simple statute, it cannot legally bind the actions of a future General Assembly.  (Status: Pending action in the House Appropriations Committee).

House Bill 39 -- This bill would allow citizens to register to vote on the same day as the election at the polling place. Proponents claim the bill will encourage voting.  Opponents say it opens the door to fraud.  In Delaware, a potential voter needs only to show a utility bill or bank statement with their home address to establish residency.  (Status: On the House Ready List.  Available to be placed on the House Agenda.)

Senate Bill 105 -- The bill seeks to make annual hikes to the state's minimum wage, topping out at $15 per hour on January 1, 2024.  The wage would be automatically raised after that in concert with increases linked to a specific consumer price index.  (Status: Pending action in the Senate Finance Committee.)

« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 01:07:47 AM by MarkB »
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Just Bill

• Life Member
Re: Wait Until Next Year!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 10:59:57 PM »
Between this and the dems , I am fed up with the whole bunch.  The repubs are not much better.  They all think we are a bottomless pit of tolerance and money, well I am short on both.  They pass these brilliant bills with no thought or consideration of what happens after they pass them.  Then they say, well we never expected that, etc., etc.  Most of these bills are not Constitutional, either state or federal, but once they pass the bill it will takes years and piles of $$$ to get it corrected, they could not care.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Wayne15464

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 06:59:13 PM »
Gettin' time to consider leaving the First State...…..

robberbaron

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 01:16:23 AM »
I have had enough, also. I am planning to leave the First State in about 3 years and heading south. Probably Florida. Delaware is rapidly becoming New Jersey.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 10:03:27 AM »
I have had enough, also. I am planning to leave the First State in about 3 years and heading south. Probably Florida. Delaware is rapidly becoming New Jersey.
......and Florida is becoming California.  We need to stand and fight.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

robberbaron

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 11:31:23 AM »
Florida is not becoming California. Maybe Texas is.