Author Topic: Delaware's AG Partly Responsible for Gun Crime  (Read 2321 times)

MarkB

• Life Member
Delaware's AG Partly Responsible for Gun Crime
« on: August 24, 2019, 03:09:33 PM »
Here is a copy of the email I sent to Senators Sturgeon, Townsend, Poore and Mcbride with a copy to my Reps, Sen Lopez and Rep Smyk.

Senators,

Delaware's Attorney General's Office has consistently plead down gun crimes to a lesser crime.  This sends the strong message to criminals that it is alright to us a gun in a crime.  Use a gun and you will not be charged with a gun crime in Delaware.  The AG's refusal to prosecute gun crimes is a slap in your faces.  You pass laws prohibiting gun use during a crime and then the AG ignores your efforts making the laws impotent.

Richmond, VA, in 1997, started Project Exile in conjunction with the Federal Government.  All gun crimes were transferred to a Federal Court where there were mandatory sentences, no bail and no early release.  As a result Richmond realized a reduction of 22 percent yearly in gun related crimes.

You can read about it here: https://www.crimesolutions.gov/ProgramDetails.aspx?ID=413

If Delaware were to adopt a similar program of actually consistently punishing gun crime then there would be a significant reduction in gun crime particularly in New Castle County and the City of Wilmington.  In addition, Delaware would get a no nonsense reputation in prosecuting gun crimes which would tell criminals not to dare to use a gun in Delaware.  I know of some people who refuse to go to Wilmington because of the crime, with or without guns, there.

You have a chance of making a good reduction in the crime in Delaware which will make it safer for everyone and should increase the number of people visiting Delaware because it is a safe place to go.  A significant reduction in crime would also help Wilmington to rebound and become a good place to visit.

Sincerely,

Mark Beam

Now is the time to start pushing against anti-gun bills and to push for good gun laws..  We should not wait until January.  It may be too late if we do.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

seniorgeek

• Life Member
Re: Delaware's AG Partly Responsible for Gun Crime
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 02:04:07 AM »
It will be interesting to see if you receive a response and if anything willl come of your letter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 02:18:45 AM »
I'll let you know if I get any responses.  I resisted the urge to tell them that they should pass bills that work against crime and not to pass bills that punish law-biding citizens.

That said, more similar letters from other members may help to get some response.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 04:02:31 AM by MarkB »
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 11:08:45 PM »
What he said, get the mail flowing!!!
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 12:17:49 PM »
I want to believe Sen Sturgen is coming around. (NO, I dont have rose colored glasses)
She took a CCDW class. Said she loved firing a Sig as a part of the class.

I extended an invitation to take her silhouette shooting which she accepted.  I dont know if she's looking for knowledge
so she does not get spanked again in committee or if she's changing a little. 
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 01:05:46 PM »
I want to believe Sen Sturgen is coming around. (NO, I dont have rose colored glasses)

I extended an invitation to take her silhouette shooting which she accepted.  I dont know if she's looking for knowledge

I sure hope you are right as we definitely need more support.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 02:27:53 PM »
I'm going with she's changing until she proves me wrong.....
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Wayne15464

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 03:26:37 PM »

Certainly sounds like an excellent opportunity!

Best of luck with this!

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 11:21:10 PM »
I can hear it now...this guy forced this gun on me made me enjoy this...I have been brainwashed!!!!!  He will pay for this!!!
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 12:15:55 AM »

Curious .....which Sig did you introduce her to?

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 12:26:27 PM »
I didn't get a chance to take her the the range yet.  It was someone else. I think it was a Sig 229.
When I take her to silhouettes (soon), will extend the offer to come to scout camp and use rifles and shotgun.

This is a quote from her....

"I wanted to learn more about guns and gun safety. I wanted to spend time with people on the other side of the gun control debate to try to better understand their point of view. I wanted to show I was willing to listen and learn in hopes that even if we don't end up seeing eye to eye, there could be some basis for mutual respect. And mostly, I wanted to see if there was any common ground from which we could work toward solutions to the problem of everyday gun violence and the rare but extremely disturbing mass shootings that seem to have been on an uptick in the past couple decades. Research, really. I found it a very valuable experience. I hope I can help build bridges between the gun rights community and the gun control community. That wouldn't be possible if I only spent time with one of them."

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 09:12:09 PM »
I didn't get a chance to take her the the range yet.  It was someone else. I think it was a Sig 229.
When I take her to silhouettes (soon), will extend the offer to come to scout camp and use rifles and shotgun.

This is a quote from her....

"I wanted to learn more about guns and gun safety. I wanted to spend time with people on the other side of the gun control debate to try to better understand their point of view. I wanted to show I was willing to listen and learn in hopes that even if we don't end up seeing eye to eye, there could be some basis for mutual respect. And mostly, I wanted to see if there was any common ground from which we could work toward solutions to the problem of everyday gun violence and the rare but extremely disturbing mass shootings that seem to have been on an uptick in the past couple decades. Research, really. I found it a very valuable experience. I hope I can help build bridges between the gun rights community and the gun control community. That wouldn't be possible if I only spent time with one of them."

I applaud that she has decided to educate herself and experience both sides of the aisle. It is certainly more than Townsend has ever done. The proof will be in the pudding...

del elec

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 11:35:41 AM »
It's difficult to bridge the gap between the gun control community and the pro 2nd amendment community when every piece of legislation targets the law abiding gun owner and not the criminals.
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 01:41:25 PM »
It's difficult to bridge the gap between the gun control community and the pro 2nd amendment community when every piece of legislation targets the law abiding gun owner and not the criminals.

True and if I recall her campaign was vastly pro ban. Makes you wonder if someone close to her was a victim of crime. She is also a teacher. Perhaps hiding behind a bullet proof backpack no longer appeals to her. I'll be watching.