Author Topic: Cost to reload 9mm  (Read 106 times)

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
Cost to reload 9mm
« on: January 06, 2020, 12:38:03 PM »
OK, let make some ammo!

I had a great conversation with a friend yesterday who is new to reloading.
Prices are from Cabelas web site since they are here in Delaware.  Sure if I shopped I could find better prices.

What I priced up was 9mm 124gn qty 1,000
This is just for the consumables VS new ammo.  It assumes you HAVE press, dies, and accessories need to load.

New ammo $11.99/50 so 20 boxes.... $239.80

Bullets I found 1,000 on their site for $93.98
Powder chose Tightwad (I personally use W231) 14oz @ $19.99
The UPPER end is 3.4gns so we can load 1,800 rounds from this can.
Primers $32.99/k

So to make a round of ammo would be...
Bullet       .0939
Powder    .011
Primer      .033
Total        .1379 per rounds or 137.90/k

A savings if $101/k LESS your TIME.  At todays prices it's not so bad looking at the investment cost of that machine.

I made this post because of my conversation yesterday and a post on DGR today.

And a reminder while reloading NO DISTRACTIONS! Jake, NO FOOTBALL on.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor, CRSO
Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In The Home,
Personal Protection Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety,
and Reloading

Also offer Delaware CCDW training.  PM me for details.

Just Bill

• Life Member
Re: Cost to reload 9mm
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 07:31:39 PM »
?????  did I put powder in that one?????  Did I double load it?????  Yikes!!!!!

But you can do experimental loads for your particular type of shooting, and its soothing way to spend an afternoon/evening.  You can't buy custom ammo, or put a price on a load well done.  Just READ the charts for the powder/bullet you are using and DO NOT exceed!!!!  Oh yeah, I can replace that barrel for you but blown up frames/slides/cylinders are harder.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 07:37:29 PM by Just Bill »
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dadís shoulder patch
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 07:36:06 PM »
Great breakdown on prices and the distraction caution while reloading.  Two additional cautions: no food or drink, and handle used primers with care to avoid spreading residue.

My supplies and procedure differ from Radnor.  First my reloading is manual, i.e., no motorized equipment.  Second, I use a slower burning powder.  On the Hornady burn rate chart where lower numbers are faster, Titewad is #3 while my choice is Power Pistol at #25.  Other favorites include Bullseye #2, Red Dot #5, and Trail Boss #17. 

For bullets, I use the Hornady Action Pistol (HAP) 125 gr bullet which is the same as my commercial carry load, Hornady 124 gr XTP, except for the bullet expansion serrations, with a muzzle velocity of 1100 fps.

Loading the 125 gr HAP with a near max load of 5.6 gr of Power Pistol yields a nominal 1100 fps which means that my range ammo closely matches my carry ammo. 

Conversely, per the Brian Enos forum at Maximum Load of 3.4 Grains Titewad yields a Velocity of 942 fps.

My personal preference is to use a powder that nearly fills the cartridge case so that an inadvertent double charge is immediately obvious.

Comparing Radnorís cost with mine. Costs a nickel more but more closely matches carry reality.
           Bullet    Primer   Powder   Cost
Radnor 0.0939   0.033   0.011   $0.1379
Mine    0.133   0.031   0.021   $0.185
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God, country, and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 10:04:32 AM »
Two additional cautions: no food or drink,
I'm guilty of this.  Frequently have a soda and maybe a pack of crackers between batches of 100 rds.

Second, I use a slower burning powder.  On the Hornady burn rate chart where lower numbers are faster, Titewad is #3 while my choice is Power Pistol at #25.
My powder of choice is W231or HP-38 (same powder). Burn rate of 36 & 35.  The reason I went with 231 is...  When I started reloading I was loading 9 & 45.  Wanted a powder I could use in both so I only needed 1 type of powder on hand.

My personal preference is to use a powder that nearly fills the cartridge case so that an inadvertent double charge is immediately obvious.
A double of 231 is quite a bit of powder. Fills the case about 2/3 of the way so it is noticeable if I drop a double.  Looking at the CURRENT load data, they've revised it DOWN since the last time I looked....  Based on that, I'm now into +P area.  When I first started reloading I went with Berrys plated bullets.  Contacted a lady there and asked for a recipe which I currently use.

I shoot a very heavy load for the SAME reason CB does.  I want something that performs like my carry ammo.  Can I save even more money by dropping the powder down, YES!  But I pray I NEVER have to use my defensive loads I want to train with a load similar.  Currently carry Underwood .45(s) traveling at 1100fps.

This post was created for a new to reloading friend and a question that came up on DGR that I directed here. 

I went to Cabelas for the original post 2 reasons. 1. I could surf for current prices. 2. They're local and I "could" go there to get the supplies.  I actually get bullets from Precision Delta.  Powder & primers from a FFL in the club or if I can find an even better price on the net.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 10:08:45 AM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor, CRSO
Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In The Home,
Personal Protection Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety,
and Reloading

Also offer Delaware CCDW training.  PM me for details.