Author Topic: Home defense shotgun  (Read 145 times)

FreakShow

• Life Member
Home defense shotgun
« on: January 14, 2020, 09:40:18 PM »
Ok, so i'm looking for a home defense 12 gauge shotgun. I like the Mossberg 590 and or the 590 A1. I do know with the 590 that the trigger guard is polymer and after extensive use can break. But i also know you can order the housing of an A1 and swap them out. The parkerized is ok, but i like the Mariner.But the 590 A1 comes with a Picatinny rail which would be great to mount a light or red dot I also like the idea of an 8+1, but the 6+1 is fine too. I also like the Remington 870 Marine.. With all three, come with either 18 1/2 barrel or a 20 inch. I'm just trying to figure out which would be best suited. I know someone will say get the Kel Tec G25, but i don't like the Bulpup. Also don't want a pistol grip gun Trying to stay in and around 800.00 and under.

So my question is, what do you like, or which would you prefer?
I got the fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell

NRA Member

Just Bill

• Life Member
Re: Home defense shotgun
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 07:03:30 AM »
Actually, I prefer my Colt 1911 w/hollow points.  Much easier to control and hide.  Have you ever fired a 12 ga without it being up to your shoulder??  That can be difficult for someone that is unaware of what is coming when you pull the trigger, and can be very uncontrollable for a second shot.  That said, the 870 has been around for a long time and is very reliable.  And often, just the sound of cycling that pump action is enough to scare anyone away.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 01:23:13 PM »
Trying to find advice on shotguns. I have a a bunch of guns in the house, not going into specifics. Hunted as an adult, so i get it.

NRA Member

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 03:44:09 PM »
Shotguns are suggested for home defense all the time, but I think they don't really understand the recoil, or as we instructors call it, PUSH.  Even Biden suggested a shotgun, stick it out the window and fire a shot...yeah right. 
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 05:01:08 AM »
Shotguns are good for home defense, depending on where home is.
I have the Mossberg 500 Field + Security combo. Came with 2 barrels and a pistol grip.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 09:08:25 AM »
if they made the 20 gauge in a short barrel,  id say it, with those big expanding slugs.     but 1911, really makes sense
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 09:40:32 AM »
In some states 18" is as short as you can have a shotgun barrel.  But there are places to buy shotguns as short as 14".
 I'd still prefer a 12 ga. to a 20 ga. myself.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/firearms/shotguns/pump/20-gauge/
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1st and 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Kent County
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my Gun

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 01:28:56 PM »
we have 20 gauge now but i prefer that just be used for hunting, plus have a smaller hand held CD Defender Honcho 12 gauge, but i want to move that to a vehicle. So i'm going with the Mossberg 590 Mariner. Going to put a heat shield on, plus another forend forearm that has rails on it so i can attach a light. I'd like to have the trigger guard replaced also with one from from a 590A1, since that one is metal.

NRA Member