Author Topic: New to Sussex County (Millsboro) from Houston TX  (Read 3015 times)

Thantis

New to Sussex County (Millsboro) from Houston TX
« on: June 17, 2020, 02:11:42 PM »
Hi y'all

My family just moved here from Texas where I've been a permit holder for 5 years and I've got a question in regards to the "references" section on this permit application.  The use of family would that only apply for "immediate family"  or would I be able to use my wifes cousins/distant relatives on her side as reference?

Just Bill

• Life Member
Re: New to Sussex County (Millsboro) from Houston TX
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 11:11:46 PM »
How long have you been here?  Big difference from Texas.  That could be a problem if you mean 'just' moved.  Radnor is better at that than I am, wait for him to chime in.

But welcome aboard!!
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

robberbaron

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 11:44:02 PM »
At least you are in Sussex County. You will have much less culture shock than New Castle County. Best of luck with your quest.

Thantis

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 11:31:27 AM »
Just moved as in close on a house in July so the only people we know are on my wife’s side that’ve lived in Delmar DE their whole lives and my work is across the line in Ocean city MD so I plan on getting that permit as well

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 12:06:31 PM »
Delaware is a may issue state, but rarely turns you down.  Forget Md, unless you know people in high places.
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 01:22:32 PM »
Welcome!

From the reference questionnaire, "REFERENCE MAY NOT BE RELATED TO APPLICANT"
https://courts.delaware.gov/forms/download.aspx?ID=33218

Since you are new to the State, you will also need a FULL NOTARIZED driving record.

Don't know what the process is for TX, but here there are a few hoops to jump through.

As said earlier, GOOD LUCK with Maryland.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Thantis

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 01:31:32 PM »
Thanks, TX application is very straight forward just take a 8hr class do a shooting test and get your permit in 2 weeks. 

I think the references is the "hardest" part of this DE permit but I appreciate the information and hopefully I can meet some folks at the range!

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 02:22:25 PM »
Well, we have a class requirement too.  Prices range from $125-$250. And time 3-12 hours.
For me personally, it takes me 3 hrs to cover De & Fed laws alone.  Laws I have is (I think) 37 pages.

We have a shooting requirement too that states discharge a minimum of 100 rounds.  Doesn't say you
have to hit anything....  I will not issue a certificate if they're off the paper without additional work.

2 WEEKS!!!!  Be thankful you're in lower slower Delaware...  Up here in NCC it will be 6 MONTHS!
Down there I'm guessing 2-3 months.

Delaware has reciprocity with other States, TX being one of them.  IF you've changed your residency (drivers license)
to DE, you MUST HAVE DE CCDW to carry concealed in De.  TX permit no longer valid to carry in De.

De you can also OC too if you wish.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 02:24:50 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 10:40:10 PM »
As Just Bill said, as far as Maryland, I wouldn't hold my breath. I was raised in Maryland an couldn't get one if I tried. Maryland is a very left-wing state and the Governor is a Rino. Ran and got elected as a Republican, but sides with the Democrats. Eastern Shore is kind of Conservative, that is only 1/5 of the state.
Oh and did I say, welcome to Delaware.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 10:20:25 PM »
By the way, Delaware is a purple/blue state.  Sussex is still red, Kent has turned purple from red, New Castle is way blue.  I am one of 3 republicans in NCC, maybe a couple more.

Bill.
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 11:08:13 PM »
By the way, Delaware is a purple/blue state.  Sussex is still red, Kent has turned purple from red, New Castle is way blue.  I am one of 3 republicans in NCC, maybe a couple more.

Bill.

And there is at least one actual Communist here on the site (but I'm more of a DemSoc). The others seem to tolerate me OK, if only because I have a comparatively attractive Russian wife.
Since I'm in NCCo, my leftish-ness is unnoticed by the sheeple.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 03:29:04 PM »
Welcome to Sussex county, the only conservative county.
I live in Bethany Beach so not far away.
If you want more local info you can email me as my email is open.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2020, 09:17:19 PM »
Hi y'all

My family just moved here from Texas where I've been a permit holder for 5 years and I've got a question in regards to the "references" section on this permit application.  The use of family would that only apply for "immediate family"  or would I be able to use my wifes cousins/distant relatives on her side as reference?

Welcome.  You are at the right place.  We respect each other on this site.  No personal attacks and no foul language.  We do have that “commie” on here Old Gray Geek but we not only tolerate him, we respect and treasure him ( and hope to convert him).

The 5 references are a real problem for new residents.   For some, like the wife and I it was 20 minutes one morning at work but to newbies it is a problem.  Don’t blame the current politicians for this though, it has been the law since 1911 as well as the newspaper ad.  In fact until about 20 years ago the references had to be in your election district. 

« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 09:19:53 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Thantis

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2020, 01:19:04 PM »
Thanks! I look forward to being in the state and am thankful that the county we chose is conservative :D  I read that a new range is supposed to open in the near future close to where I bought my home so definitely looking forward to that