Author Topic: New member from Wilmington  (Read 3368 times)

sprue

New member from Wilmington
« on: September 08, 2020, 01:43:36 AM »
Greetings from Wilmington! I've been shooting recreationally for many years (mostly rifles) and have recently decided to look into getting a concealed carry permit. Back in late 2018 (within months of moving here) I was attacked by a group of teen aged kids while walking home from a store. No serious injuries, just some kids punching strangers I think. But it took me this long to get a feel for the area and decide that I want to carry a weapon to protect myself and my family.

I'm self employed so at the moment my only references would be my neighbors. I'd be interested in hearing your recommendations about local shooting clubs or places where I could make some pro 2A friends.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
Re: New member from Wilmington
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 02:29:56 AM »
Welcome.

As the welcoming email stated,  I offer the course.

You'll need 5 references. You mentioned neighbor. If married, that's 2. Since you've been here less than 5 yrs,  you'll need a FULL NOTARIZED driving record from the state you came from.

Look under training section and see if action pistol would be of interest. Thst would be a great way to meet ppl.

If you should have any questions,  my phone number is in my profile.

Todd
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

sprue

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 02:55:32 AM »
Thanks Todd, On the subject of driving records, prior to moving to Delaware I spent about 3 months in upstate NY (new job, decided it wasn't a good fit) but before that I lived in Florida. My NY driving record would be a very thin file. Should I submit it anyways or get my records from Florida?

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 10:56:01 AM »
Welcome aboard!!  Todd is a wealth of information on training and just plain shooting for fun in our area.

Bill
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 12:57:00 PM »
Thanks Todd, On the subject of driving records, prior to moving to Delaware I spent about 3 months in upstate NY (new job, decided it wasn't a good fit) but before that I lived in Florida. My NY driving record would be a very thin file. Should I submit it anyways or get my records from Florida?

In the 3mos in NY, did you change your license from FL to NY?  If YES, I'd say you need both. Extra hoop for new transplants to the State.
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

sprue

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 01:05:18 AM »
Good news! I now have 3 references in hand and 2 promised. This was a lot easier than I thought. I guess I was just really nervous about peoples' reaction to a request for reference.

DelawareGold

• We the People
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 05:21:02 PM »
Congratulations on taking the step to exercise your 2nd Amendment right.
Since Wilmington is in close proximity to Pennsylvania, I have found it
beneficial to obtain my PA (Out of State) Permit as well. While you are
having your digital finger prints taken for Delaware, for a small fee you can
have an FBI Print Card rolled in case you want an Out of State Florida
Permit, as well. I believe Radnor can assist you with this. With these three
Permits, you currently get reciprocity in 31 states. It's also a good idea to
find out why, under any circumstances you would NOT want to concealed carry
in either New Jersey and Maryland, and what steps you must take to bring
a fire arm across those state lines.
Do what is right.
Love what is just.
Walk in humility with GOD.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 06:50:29 PM »
I cannot roll em for FLA.

I CAN roll em for AZ. I have packets for AZ with me and offer it to my students when they take DE from me, I issue the 2nd certificate of training.

Gets about the same in states you can carry in.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 06:54:02 PM by Radnor »

sprue

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 08:22:50 AM »
Well with everything going on I slacked off and put the permit on the back burner and in that time one of my references moved to Philly and is no longer a NCC resident. I'm going to have to hit up some of the guys at the shops I go to regularly. On the bright side I've now been in Delaware past the 5 year mark.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 11:34:48 PM »
If I were you I'd find a replacement to sign for you and get your DECCW anyway. It will save you a lot of trouble later and will only cost a little more that what the state will charge for the new purchase permit they just passed.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 12:00:48 AM »
... little more that what the state will charge for the new purchase permit they just passed.

Ummm... it only passed in the Senate. Now must go to the House. Then signed into law.

In my opinion, WILL happen.

sprue

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 05:39:48 AM »
If I were you I'd find a replacement to sign for you and get your DECCW anyway. It will save you a lot of trouble later and will only cost a little more that what the state will charge for the new purchase permit they just passed.
Yeah It's gonna be awkward hitting up store employees but those are my only acquaintances at the moment outside of family members and people I've known less than a year.

I had to take a polygraph and go through a background check in the military. For some reason a CCDW permit is more difficult.

sprue

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 11:55:15 PM »
I got my references! I talked to some old co workers and convinced one of them to apply for his own CCDW. I'm going to have him get in touch with you @radnor

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2021, 11:53:50 AM »
Great you are moving forward with the process.  After you apply, it's a long wait, but worth it.

If you would when you get time, a few words good, bad, indifferent here please.
http://deccw.com/index.php?topic=5006.0

And THANK YOU for the referral.

sprue

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2023, 03:05:44 PM »
How is the process moving along for you? I received mine this week, am I’m sure it’s different for every application when factors are considered, but it was not a very long wait for me. I’d prefer to not disclose the exact timeframe from submittal to receiving the permit, but it was shorter than three months/
I got mine a year or two ago. It took a full six months. Congrats on getting your license! I'm glad they've improved the processing time. Getting the PA license was very quick and easy. I haven't done the MD license yet.