Author Topic: CCW Application and Friend References  (Read 1598 times)

Delguy

CCW Application and Friend References
« on: August 25, 2020, 06:45:17 PM »
Hello all,
While I have had my CCW license for about 5 years, some of my close friends have been taking their time getting theirs.
I have one guy in my group of close friends who I would help out any way I could.
I have known this guy for most of my life and he is a true friend who has always been there through the good times and the bad.
I trust him completely around my family, he was even in my wedding.

Here's my problem. I have seen him around guns in the past and I don't feel comfortable around him when guns are involved.
I don't believe that he is a bad person and he's not someone who would intentionally hurt someone, but I feel that he is careless with guns. 
Ex. pointing them at people for "fun", storing them in an unsafe manor and no trigger discipline to name a few.
He does own a few guns but without a CCW they stay at his house.  I also don't invite him to the range when I go.

He recently asked me if he could use me as a reference for his CCW license.
I've been struggling with this for a few days now and I am leaning towards telling him, sorry but no.
Odds are, this may affect our friendship and that would be a shame but I just don't feel comfortable putting on paper saying that I think he is a good candidate.

Here's my questions:
1. Has anyone ever had to deal with a similar situation and how did you handle it?
2. Does anyone know if there are any repercussions for people who are used as references and the person ends up doing something dangerous or careless?  I don't believe there is but just trying to get as much information about this as I can.

Thanks.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
Re: CCW Application and Friend References
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 07:54:06 PM »
This WILL BE a true test of friendship.  I personally would not be a reference.

In reading it until you listed the particulars, was thinking someone I could train (I offer the CCDW course). After reading your post, dont know if I would have taken him on as a student.

If he came to shoot AP with us, he would have been asked to leave with the safety violations.....

Also, your "gut" has already answered what you should (NOT) do....
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 07:55:45 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 08:39:54 PM »
Agree with Radnor.  Two criteria necessary: skill/aptitude, and mindset.  Your friend has demonstrated a deficiency in mindset.  In a self-defense ‘critical dynamic incident’, judgment is a critical factor.  A lack of mindset is a recipe for disaster.  Whether or not you could be legally liable, you must consider your mental trauma if he commits an unreasonable shooting.  You may be able to coach him to a better mindset but some folks just never ‘get it’.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 08:43:32 PM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 09:31:28 PM »
We have a larger duty to the public. Hard no.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

RLS

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 09:39:55 PM »
Perhaps if your friend successfully completed the required firearms class prior to submitting his application, your view may be different. The instructor will hopefully change your friend's casual attitude to safety.

Rick

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 09:54:51 PM »
I would gently have to decline.  You can’t teach common sense and handling a small killing machine definitely requires it.  Beyond that is the training. 

You will have to be honest with your friend.  Explain your concerns and that by signing the affidavit you would be legally attesting to his character.   If something were to happen the fact that you have now expressed your concerns on a public forum could put you in legal jeopardy.

DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 09:56:50 PM »
We have a larger duty to the public. Hard no.
To OGG:

Agree 100%

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 11:51:06 PM »
I've been training NEW GUN owners that treat it with more respect that what you described.
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 12:28:52 AM »
I would imagine it’s easier to train a new gun owner than a “know it all” who has been mishandling guns for 30 years.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 01:40:35 AM »
Yep!

I just trained 2 teenagers.  Started them on a 22.  Moved to their dad's 9.  Then moved them to my 45. Gave them 1 ea of my +p 45s (carry ammo) after shooting a number of 45 rounds.
They wanted to keep shooting my 45......  The girl out shot her brother.

Then we moved back to 25 yds  and shot 22 rifle.  She out shot him there too.

Girls LISTEN!