Author Topic: Moving to DE from WV, any odd laws/restrictions I need to know about?  (Read 1531 times)

SicSemperTyrannis

About to buy a LWRC 14.7 rifle and pin a Griffen flash suppressor to get to 16" in preparation for a silencer.  After looking at DE laws I see silencers are illegal, but with some paper work and hand shaking (Chief of Police) it may still be possible to to own?  Can anybody clarify that? Any counties have friendlier Chiefs that I should consider moving to instead? Is pinning and welding to attain 16" barrel length legal in DE?

Also saw some strange legislation that was proposed that would potentially turn DE in NY/NJ, I'm assuming that was all squashed?

Anybody have any recommendations for membership in gun rights groups in DE?  I need to learn more and become more active, what's going on anymore is truly insane.

I've got my CO CCW permit, AFAIK that's reciprocated in DE so that's good.

First post!  Nice to meet you all!  Looks like a good active forum.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 05:16:23 PM by SicSemperTyrannis »

NormH3

• Life Member
Re: Moving to DE from WV, any odd laws/restrictions I need to know about?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 04:10:57 PM »
Not an expert, but I don't think a wink, wink, nod, nod from anyone will make it legal for you to own a suppressor in Delaware. Probably best to just can that idea. In Delaware the DSSA, Delaware State Sportsmen Association, is the NRA affiliate. Theses are the guys that have helped keep some of the stricter laws off the books. Welcome to De.

EDIT: As a resident of Delaware, your out of state conceal carry permit will not be legal here. You must apply for a resident permit. Not impossible to get, but does require a few hoops to jump through.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 04:14:14 PM by NormH3 »

SicSemperTyrannis

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 04:57:23 PM »
Good to know, thanks.

I was asking about silencers because of this thread: http://deccw.com/index.php?topic=1174.msg7063#msg7063

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 08:31:13 PM »
For now suppressors not happening. Law needs to be changed.

Once you establish residency here your out of state permit is no good.

If you can pick another state to move to, give it serious thought. We lost big in November and b.s. is on the way. I would not be surprised if in the first 30 days an AWB, magazine limit, and permit to purchase get introduced.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 08:34:21 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.