Author Topic: Depressing news for people waiting on new permits  (Read 10783 times)

Grebnehtor

Depressing news for people waiting on new permits
« on: January 13, 2010, 04:25:54 AM »
I called the Prothonotary today for an update on my application.  I talked to a nice lady there who informed me she can't give me an update on my app since it isn't at the Prothonotary's office right now, it's at the Attorney General's office.  When the apps come in, they get sent right to the AG's.  The AG has only a "handful" of people working on them I was told doing the background checks and reference checks.  Everything must be checked.  When the AG gets done with the app, they will send it back with their recommendation on what to do and you will receive a letter in the mail.  This can take MONTHS.  When I explained I mailed my packet off on the 5th of October (3+ months ago), she laughed and said some people have been waiting since JUNE.  I asked how long is it typically taking for the AG's and she told me it depends on the person and how long it takes to do the background check and verify references.  This is no good, meaning it can take longer then 6 months for some and they have no way of telling you where you are in the queue.  When the app makes it back to the Prothonotary's office, only one person there works on them and it takes another 3-4 weeks.  She also informed me that they are getting an INCREDIBLE amount of applications and that's causing the backup partly. 

If anyone wants to call the specific lady handling CCW stuff, her number is 302.255.0690.  Don't expect her to tell you anything different though, it's just taking a LONG time right now.

Steve

norwood

Re: Depressing news for people waiting on new permits
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 10:56:11 AM »
if it were any other type of application you know they would get more staff to process the paper work. but im sure issuing ccw permits is not high on the states priority list. something should be done about how slow they process this simple background check.

i think what bothers me most about this is that with in this sudden high demand for a ccw you have tons of people applying for it who really do not intend to really use it, they are just doing it because and most will not even carry their firearm with them. i have talked to many people who have told me they don't really intend on carrying their firearm just want to ability to do so.

glock9

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 11:48:10 PM »
weather thy carry every day or not, its still there rite to carry. we shouldnt need a permit to exercise our rite to carry. but since we do every one who can, should apply. they may have a life changing experiance and need it.there  and when they do they willbe ready.

Hank

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 04:15:35 PM »
Hi everyone.
What may help?, when you people do get your permits, please tell everyone when you put In for It, and when you got It, and If It was a renewel or the first time around, maybe this will lesson the waite for the others??? I don't think the County matters because they all go up state now!!!
Good luck to all, Hank.

norwood

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 10:24:22 PM »
now why couldn't a group lobby to the right person to have them hire more people for this process so the process goes faster?

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 12:46:50 AM »
Well, this IS a state run system.  I just got my real estate license reinstated (took a break from the biz for a year) and let me tell you about how EASY it was to get my GUN permit, and how much hassle, red tape, and SCREW UPS it was getting my real estate license reprinted essentially. 

Bottom line is, the folks who are processing this paperwork are over worked, under paid, and have no incentive to work any faster than neutral gear. 

I'm glad that I got mine when I did.  Took me roughly 3 months start to finish. 

Hang in there folks.

Rebecca

Oh, P.S., If you're in need of a real estate agent, I know just who to call! LOL 
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 01:23:36 PM »
Oh, P.S., If you're in need of a real estate agent, I know just who to call! LOL 

And when you're ready for your CE credits, let me know.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.