Author Topic: SB 6 rewritten  (Read 2059 times)

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
SB 6 rewritten
« on: June 25, 2021, 01:35:23 AM »
Apparently fears that the mag ban is unconstitutional have caused a rewrite of the bill.  The new legislation will only ban “after market” devices and devices over 20 rounds for a handgun and 30 rounds for rifles.  This bill does grandfather current owners and eliminates the carve out for concealed carry licensees.  First offense is now a felony

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ctpost.com/news/amp/Rewrite-of-Delaware-gun-magazine-bill-focuses-on-16272667.php

I have been unable to find the exact text.  Stay tuned

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 01:49:27 AM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
Re: SB 6 rewritten
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 12:13:30 PM »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 12:36:50 PM »
So, they have passed the budget bill, if I heard correctly.  Gave the Guv more that he asked for, money is no object with Joe handing out our money like candy.  Now they can get down to the really important stuff, like violating our constitutional rights.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

sprue

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 08:45:56 PM »
This is a big improvement. The wording of 1643 however does not take into account pistols that are designed to accept rifle caliber rounds. They'd avoid a lot of confusion if they say 20 round max for pistol caliber rounds and 30 round max for guns designed to accept rifle caliber ammunition. The reason for this is that people may go to a gun store and purchase a 30 round magazine for their AR rifle (perfectly legal) which could then also be put into an AR pistol. So the gun store and the purchaser could both be slapped with felonies.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 09:28:27 PM »
I argue that there should be no wording.  The Second Amendment is quite clear,  "....shall not be abridged."  The more they nibble at your our freedoms, the more we lose.  If we agree to some word today, next session they will add or change another word.
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits

sprue

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 10:59:53 PM »
The law is fairly unenforceable unless you're going to try to use it to entrap gun store owners. They'll probably have to make customers signs a piece of paper saying that the magazines are for rifles. It doesn't prevent anyone from buying magazines out of state. IMO this is just a gesture to make it appear that they're trying to do something for their constituents. I do share your concerns that they might down the road say they need to tighten them up because they're ineffective at thwarting criminal behavior.

The issue I have is that they can't point to a recent crime where a large capacity magazine made it easier to commit the crime or where the casualties would have been fewer without the magazine capacity. They can only point to crimes where large capacity magazines were used, and I would argue that they're only used because they're more widely available than small capacity magazines.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 11:13:39 PM »
Please excuse me for being blunt, but if you think these bills have anything to do with reducing crime, you are a misled fool!!

Bill
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 11:16:02 PM »
This is a big improvement. The wording of 1643 however does not take into account pistols that are designed to accept rifle caliber rounds. They'd avoid a lot of confusion if they say 20 round max for pistol caliber rounds and 30 round max for guns designed to accept rifle caliber ammunition. The reason for this is that people may go to a gun store and purchase a 30 round magazine for their AR rifle (perfectly legal) which could then also be put into an AR pistol. So the gun store and the purchaser could both be slapped with felonies.
Don’t see how having our rights flushed down the toilet is an “improvement”.   We should concede nothing. 
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

sprue

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 12:28:04 AM »
Please excuse me for being blunt, but if you think these bills have anything to do with reducing crime, you are a misled fool!!

Bill

I don't take offense. This is a place for debate as far as I'm concerned. I don't think these officials writing the laws are bad or have malicious intent but I do think they are pandering to a group of people who are misguided by the media, ignorant of how guns work and the current laws surrounding them, and how new laws would affect gun owners. People can fall into two categories when it comes to safety. You're either willing to do what is necessary to protect yourself or you want other people to do it for you. And in general a lot of people don't want that responsibility so they feel like other people shouldn't be allowed to either and that's where bad intent starts to creep in.

These laws aren't going to reduce crime by any measurable amount. I doubt criminals will care about an extra felony charge. But it lets politicians go back to their voters and say "We passed some gun control legislation, vote for me again next election and I'll continue to fight for you" So they get those points without actually having done anything meaningful to stop crime. And since there's more of them in office right now they get to do that. The law basically amounts to "We don't care where you got them but you didn't get them here." Which in itself could still be fought in court depending on how other cases go. This is probably as far as they'll be able to get with it if the CA magazine ban goes to the supreme court.

Also bear in mind that more new people are buying guns than ever before and great deal of them are women and people of color which is a large portion of the democratic electorate. I think the gun control argument is losing steam in the face of real world realities where people realize you can't count on the police when it really matters and police are taking a more cautious approach in the face of heightened media scrutiny. If the police can't fight crime effectively then owning a gun is the best way to stay safe.

Our job is to inject some common sense into the discussion and counter their statistics with our own. We could do a much better job at educating people about gun violence and countering the narrative that more guns equals more death. The next few years should prove that even with all the new guns out "on the streets", the murder rate should drop as people's lives become more stable. 2020 was a hell of a year.

Don’t see how having our rights flushed down the toilet is an “improvement”.   We should concede nothing. 

I don't think we're conceding anything just yet. I don't see these new developments as another attack. I think this is a huge success that the force of our arguments has caused them to rethink their bill to the point where it's almost meaningless. Hopefully in the next election those running for office will be able to reach all those new gun owners.

slsharp

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 09:15:59 PM »
I agree with "educating people" sprue; how do we do that?
Bill boards up and down the state stating the real problem? (like 72% walk free after committing a crime with a gun)
I might not have the % correct, but you get the picture.
-Simon