Author Topic: Rigby v Jennings  (Read 3760 times)

sprue

Rigby v Jennings
« on: January 11, 2022, 03:45:53 PM »
Firearms Policy Coalition has brought a case against the DE Attorney General over HB 125 (law banning self made firearms and sharing of 3D files)

You can follow the case here: https://www.firearmspolicy.org/rigby

As someone who uses design software every day and has a passion for firearms and accessories design I really hope this lawsuit proves successful. 2022 was supposed to be the year I start making AK and Glock accessories.

Just Bill

• Life Member
Re: Rigby v Jennings
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 08:34:52 PM »
I like that someone is doing it, but not holding my breath...
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

sprue

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 12:29:45 AM »
The most recent letter (2/14) in response to the evidence put forward to by the state about the ban is absolutely awesome. I'm lovin' it

sprue

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 02:43:46 PM »
We won! The judge struck it down.

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 03:12:18 PM »
Soooo,,,,  link?

Seems like some, but not all?  My scatterbrained got lost
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 03:22:58 PM by TwistedKarma »
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 09:15:17 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 11:00:05 PM »
Soooo, my 80% AR's are legal, except that they are AR's, which are not legal in Delaware.  Hope we get more Constitutional judges!!!
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

sprue

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2022, 11:56:38 PM »
Soooo, my 80% AR's are legal, except that they are AR's, which are not legal in Delaware.  Hope we get more Constitutional judges!!!

It would be an interesting case for sure since they have no way of proving you did or didn't own them prior to the date of the law going into effect. Or if you registered one unserialized rifle with the state but you have 5 more identical lowers stashed away you've got an "I'm Spartacus" situation going on with your rifles.  Would they even let us register an unserialized rifle?

This also means my dream of drilling AR pockets into a 2x4 can still come true.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 12:04:49 AM by sprue »

sprue

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2022, 12:00:02 AM »
Next to fall.....  awb & mag ban?

I haven't heard any news on this other than it was filed. Been hoping for an update.

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2022, 11:43:36 AM »
So now, i have to get scuba gear,  and dive all those boat accident sites?
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2022, 03:45:55 PM »
Next to fall.....  awb & mag ban?

I haven't heard any news on this other than it was filed. Been hoping for an update.

While we haven’t completely won yet, it’s not looking good for Kathy Jennings and King Karney as instead of dismissing the lawsuit as Jennings requested, a preliminary injunction was granted to stop enforcement of it pending a full court hearing. She did so because owners of these guns could be “irrevocably harmed” by being arrested for a crime that is “likely” unconstitutional.   

A beautiful thing is the judge, Maryellen Noreika is a Democrat that Biden is hoping to elevate to the circuit court.
Here it is on AP:

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiM2h0dHBzOi8vYXBuZXdzLmNvbS8zOWNjMmE0MzZiYTBkZjA5NGU5NDc0ZWJkOGQzZDc1ZNIBAA?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

It was also a top news item on WBOC-TV this morning.

Here is the order.  ( ouch Kathy ). https://assets.nationbuilder.com/firearmspolicycoalition/pages/6315/attachments/original/1663969170/Rigby_v_Jennings_Order_on_MPI.pdf?1663969170
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 10:15:37 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

slsharp

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2022, 12:40:04 PM »
It also looks legal to 3D print a gun or parts, as long as you don't share "code" with others, which I assume means an .stl file.  A model is not code, so you could share a .sldprt or .inv file.  And, show someone how to convert it to code.  That's how I see it.
-Simon

sprue

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2022, 01:53:04 AM »
It also looks legal to 3D print a gun or parts, as long as you don't share "code" with others, which I assume means an .stl file.  A model is not code, so you could share a .sldprt or .inv file.  And, show someone how to convert it to code.  That's how I see it.
-Simon

Delaware is a tiny state. You could drive outside it, hit send, and go home without breaking any laws.

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2022, 05:03:44 PM »
-Simon

Delaware is a tiny state. You could drive outside it, hit send, and go home without breaking any laws.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple as then you'd have to watch out for what either Federal (i.e. 18 U.S.C. § 922) law or other non-Delaware law you would be running afoul of.  Something else to watch out for is federal charges under the guise of using interstate commerce as a means of violating any other law.  Bottom line when it comes to the quite touchy subject of anything gun regulation related BE CAREFUL.  If in doubt, consult an attorney before doing anything.  I'm happy to provide referrals, or if you have specific Delaware statute related questions, I'm happy to answer via PM.

sprue

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2022, 01:26:45 AM »
-Simon

Unfortunately, it's not that simple as then you'd have to watch out for what either Federal (i.e. 18 U.S.C. § 922) law or other non-Delaware law you would be running afoul of.  Something else to watch out for is federal charges under the guise of using interstate commerce as a means of violating any other law.  Bottom line when it comes to the quite touchy subject of anything gun regulation related BE CAREFUL.  If in doubt, consult an attorney before doing anything.  I'm happy to provide referrals, or if you have specific Delaware statute related questions, I'm happy to answer via PM.

Hmmm. Isn't that a bit like saying you can't travel out of state to get an abortion?