Author Topic: Are suppressors "CCW Equipment"?  (Read 3032 times)

slsharp

Are suppressors "CCW Equipment"?
« on: January 21, 2022, 11:53:56 AM »
There has been 'discussion' here on the forum lately about the importance of being able to own suppressors.
So, my question is how many of us would carry (concealed) your pistol with a suppressor if allowed?
I've never owned or tried shooting with one, so I'm neither for or against them.
-Simon

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
Re: Are suppressors "CCW Equipment"?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 11:58:05 AM »
I don't necessarily want to cc one. I'd like to have one for in the house (like what hearing I have). 

Someone asked what can they do?   IMHO  the best option is a HAND WRITTEN letter to elected officials.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

sprue

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 06:16:08 PM »
I wouldn't cc with it but I would definitely use it for home defense. Having a gun go off inside a small space like your bedroom or living room is incredibly damaging for your ears without hearing protection. It would also make training more enjoyable. Imagine a shooting range where everything is suppressed. It'd be like skipping rocks on a calm lake. Kidding, but it would be a lot easier to focus on the training.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 10:12:45 PM »
BINGO!
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

slsharp

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 11:36:58 AM »
Ok, I can see the training aspect.  Also the home defense reason to protect the hearing- but how often does one have to fire a gun in the house?  Hopefully never.
Another factor I can think of is that in the case of home intrusion, the unsuppressed loud blast scaring the poop out of the intruder so as not having to kill him or her.
-Simon

sprue

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 02:35:03 PM »
It would still be pretty loud, even suppressed, just not permanent hearing loss loud.
Another factor I can think of is that in the case of home intrusion, the unsuppressed loud blast scaring the poop out of the intruder so as not having to kill him or her.
-Simon
If you're hoping to scare them off with the sound of a gun shot then you're missing the target. That's not ideal. I'd rather they say, Oh feces I've been hit, and have them book it out the door than have shots flying into God knows what.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 06:25:31 PM »
Had someone get into my house while we were here at 430AM Labor day weekend 2011.  Young kid.  LUCKY young kid.
Had a 2yr old sleeping between us. Couldn't wake him to gun fire.  So there was a time I could have used it.

Suppressor will drop it 25-30db.  So at least it will be below 140db but STILL loud.  About 135 or so.  Can you say jack hammer?

slsharp

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 11:31:18 AM »
All good stuff from you guys- just one more thing (as Columbo would say) -public perception.  In the movies, it's pretty much the bad guys that use suppressors to hide their crimes.  I'm pretty sure most uninformed people will be against them even more so than they are with guns in general.
What say?
-Simon

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 03:20:10 PM »
Agreed. And tv makes them silent. It only reduces the noise 25-30db....

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 11:29:48 PM »
The only suppressors legal in Delaware are called "Noise Cancelling Headphones".
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 10:17:20 PM »
You can't own one in Delaware, go directly to jail.  I am not sure if you can buy one out of state.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2023, 10:07:22 PM »
Oh yeah, you can buy one, but you can never come home with it.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Libertarian5