TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
Laser?
« on: January 20, 2023, 11:09:29 AM »
Green vs Red?
 Can they be seen?
 Or low light only?
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Oaklandopen

Re: Laser?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 11:23:18 AM »
It's really shooter's preference.  I don't use a laser, but I did get a red/green dot sight that I leave on green at a low level for indoor. To me it's easier on the eye and it ends up being a more crisp dot. Red, to me, ends up being a little blurry

However,  in a real world scenario with having a laser on a handgun your focus would be on the full target with the dot only going "noticed" where you want the shot to go,  so maybe the full detail of the dot is not important

At the same time,  there is some science to why green would generally be better.  The human eye is able to differentiate more shades of green than any other color

Any specific applications in mind?

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 11:44:28 AM »
On a replica black powder, thats on a sled, mounted, minimal shots per year, i dont want to picany rail it.
  Tring to keep the look original
Put it in the bore, move, aim, pull out and shoot

Oaklandopen

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 12:07:58 PM »
Either color can be very bright,  but I would say for your target be mindful of your bullseye color.  Black might just absorb both,  while either would show up on white

Green laser also generally costs more than red for the same device.

I would go to a shop and ask to play around with whatever laser they have on display with the targets they have. I'd say most will have both examples. 

If you're looking for a bore laser I feel like those are only online,  but at least you can get a feel for the end result at a dealer,   which is the dot

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 10:49:48 PM »
Thanks

RetCapt1994

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 03:51:57 PM »
Here is a vid and IMHO is a fair comparison on red or green laser beams. I have a Shockwave with Opsol 2.0, CT Laser Saddle (red) beam and a Nightstick SFL-11WL. This weapon is sited in for 7 yards and is always used with 12ga mini shells. This is my range for home defense. With these accessories IMHO the Shockwave is one fine home defense weapon. After viewing this vid, I decided the red beam would be good for home defense. The green beam is very good for distance, but the Shockwave is not a distance weapon. At 7 yards shooting Federal Shorty Buckshot (15 pellets of #4 buck) I get a 4" group. Good luck on your decision and hope you get something out of this vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zetazonm9NI   Regards to all on this site.
Glock Armorer - Tavor Level One Armorer
It is all about bullet placement                          Carry permits, de ccw, and leosa/hr218  DELAWARE SUCKS----THE WORST STATE