Author Topic: New bill to substitute for SB3  (Read 907 times)

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
New bill to substitute for SB3
« on: May 14, 2022, 05:33:31 PM »
https://legis.delaware.gov/BillDetail/109516

This has been introduced to take the firearm background check system back to the Delaware State Police from the FBI. It is a substitute for SB3, the Permit to Purchase bill.  I is supported by the DSSA / NRA.   Reading through it is a bit confusing. 

I hope it has more safeguards from back door registration that was the previous problem.

The following items are of note:

1.  Apparently  Shotguns would no longer require a background check ( this was the old pre Brady Delaware policy but I’m not sure how this squares with the Federal Brady law. )

2.  Holders of Concealed Carry License would be exempt (this is the policy in many other states.  This requires ATF approval)

3.  In applying for a CCW license it now says SHALL perform a background check whereas prior the law said MAY require.  (some states refused reciprocity to Delaware because of this also might be required to get ATF approval for # 2 above.  Not sure about that)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 06:30:14 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Just Bill

• Life Member
Re: New bill to substitute for SB3
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 10:58:56 PM »
I don't understand the issue on #2.  CCW permit have been checked and double checked and OKed by a judge.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 12:40:28 AM »
There is certain criteria that must be met as to how the licenses are issued and the state issuing authority must apply for this to the ATF. 

This is the list of states licenses that the ATF has approved to trigger Brady check waivers

Permanent Brady Permit Chart

Prepared by: ATF Office of Enforcement Programs and Services

Last updated: June 21, 2020

Note: Notwithstanding the dates set forth below, permits qualify as alternatives to the background check requirements of the Brady law for no more than 5 years from the date of issuance. The permit must be valid under state law in order to qualify as a Brady alternative.

State / Territory   Qualifying Permits
Alabama   None
Alaska   Concealed weapons permits marked NICS-Exempt
American Samoa   None
Arizona   Concealed weapons permits qualify.
Arkansas   Concealed weapons permits issued on or after April 1, 1999 qualify. *
California   Entertainment Firearms Permit only
Colorado   None
Connecticut   None
Delaware   None *
District of Columbia   None *
Florida   None *
Georgia   Georgia firearms licenses qualify.
Guam   None *
Hawaii   Permits to acquire and licenses to carry qualify.
Idaho   Concealed weapons permits qualify.
Illinois   None
Indiana   None
Iowa   Permits to acquire and permits to carry concealed weapons qualify.
Kansas   Concealed handgun licenses issued on or after July 1, 2010 qualify as alternatives to the background check.
Kentucky   Concealed Deadly Weapons License (CDW) and Judicial Special Status CDW issued on or after July 12, 2006 qualify.
Louisiana   Concealed handgun permits issued on or after March 9, 2015 qualify. Lifetime Concealed Carry Permits qualify for the initial five-year period beginning on the original issuance date.
Maine   None *
Maryland   None *
Massachusetts   None *
Michigan   Licenses to Purchase a Pistol (LTP) are the only permits that qualify as a NICS alternative.
Minnesota   
None
Mississippi   License to carry concealed pistol or revolver issued to individuals under Miss. Stat. Ann. § 45-9-101 qualify. (NOTE: security guard permits issued under Miss. Stat. Ann. §97-37-7 do not qualify).
Missouri   None *
Montana   Concealed weapons permits qualify.
Nebraska   Concealed handgun permit qualifies as an alternative. Handgun purchase certificates qualify.
Nevada   Concealed carry permit issued on or after July 1, 2011, qualify.
New Hampshire   None
New Jersey   None
New Mexico   None
New York   None
North Carolina   Permits to purchase a handgun and concealed handgun permits qualify.
North Dakota   Concealed weapons permits issued on or after December 1, 1999 qualify. *
Northern Mariana Islands   None
Ohio   Concealed weapons permits issued on or after March 23, 2015 qualify.
Oklahoma   None *
Oregon   None *
Pennsylvania   None
Puerto Rico   None
Rhode Island   None
South Carolina   Concealed weapons permits qualify.
South Dakota   
Gold Card Concealed Pistol Permits and Enhanced Permits to Carry a Concealed Pistol issued on or after January 1, 2017 qualify. Regular Concealed Carry Permits issued on or after July 1, 2018 qualify.

Tennessee   None
Texas   Concealed weapons permits qualify.
U.S. Virgin Islands   None
Utah   Concealed weapons permits qualify.
Vermont   None
Virginia   None
Washington   None
West Virginia   Concealed handgun license issued on or after June 4, 2014 qualify.
Wisconsin   None
Wyoming   Concealed weapons permits qualify.
* While certain permits issued in these states prior to November 30, 1998 were “grandfathered” as Brady alternatives, none of these grandfathered permits would still be valid under State law as of November 30, 2003.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 12:49:34 AM by Clarence »

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 12:33:52 PM »
Federal law permits states to require federal firearms licensees (FFLs) to conduct background checks through a
state agency, or point of contact, instead of directly through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System
(NICS).

This Act creates the Firearm Transaction Approval Program (FTAP) within the State Bureau of Identification
(SBI) of the Delaware State Police and designates the SBI's FTAP as the point of contact between an FFL and the federal
databases checked by the Federal Bureau of Investigation for purposes of conducting background checks for firearm
purchases or transfers.

By establishing SBI as the point of contact for all firearm purchases or transfers in this State, SBI becomes
responsible for determining if a potential buyer or transferee is prohibited from receipt or possession of a firearm under §
1448 of Title 11 of the Delaware Code or federal law. This enables SBI to search other databases in addition to relying on
the required NICS check, enhancing background checks conducted in this State.

This Act enables firearms dealers who suspect a straw purchase has or is occurring to notify SBI using the same
hotline that is established for background checks through FTAP.

This could be a step forward as Delaware was not reporting much info to NCIS anyway...
http://deccw.com/index.php?topic=6013.0
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 12:36:10 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 12:43:30 PM »
My concern would be that if DSP took it over the system wouldn't be as automated as the federal system and additional time would be added to getting an approval.  Sounds like they might be doing an end run to force an increased time, maybe days, in providing an approval.
It also provides the state with a way to track purchases which is sorta, kinda like a register. I seem to recall that in years past they got their pee pee slapped when it was discovered they were collecting and illegaly storing this information.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 12:47:24 PM by NormH3 »

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 05:18:02 PM »
Well in reading it, it gives them 25 days to render a decision to approve the transfer.  (SAME as it is now)

They can maintain records for 6 mos.  Yes, they were spanked before for retaining records.  DSSA said they'd FOIA requests to keep tabs on that.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 07:24:02 PM »
They didn’t get slapped at all for retaining information.  No one went to jail and no one even got fired.
Can we trust a FOIA request?   Unless those in power are subject to a perjury charge or an Official Misconduct arrest, we might never know the truth.