Author Topic: Question about PA permit expiration and "grace period"  (Read 1836 times)

coolwrld

Question about PA permit expiration and "grace period"
« on: March 29, 2022, 04:22:59 PM »
So my PA non-resident permit expired on 2/17/22.  I just completed the online application for the York County Sheriff's office to complete my renewal.  I know from the York County Sheriff's site and other things I have read online that there appears to be a grace period of 180 days from the expiration date to complete the renewal.

So my question is this, does anyone know if during that 180 day "grace" period is it possible to continue to carry provided the renewal application has been submitted?
DE - CCDW Permit Holder
PA - N/R CCDW Permit Holder
NRA Life Member
New Castle County

NormH3

• Life Member
Re: Question about PA permit expiration and "grace period"
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 08:50:29 PM »
Call the Sheriff's office.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 12:29:44 PM »
You are good for 6 months.  Also remember that you may carry in your vehicle on a license from ANY STATE without a PA LTCF

Below are some of the exceptions to the PA carry law

(11)  Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
(12)  A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.
(13)  Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm. 

« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 12:38:32 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 02:38:28 PM »
Regardless of where you have permits, I would not go to NJ or MD with a firearm or ammo.  one HP bullet in NJ will land you in the slammer.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 03:23:51 PM »
Correct.   Even if carrying THROUGH New Jersey under the 1986 Volkmer McClure Act,  while a locked up, unloaded and in the trunk firearm is covered, the hollow point ammo is not and you will be charged with a violent felony just for having one round.  Law abiding citizens have been charged with this and have gone to prison.   Also New Jersey may consider the 1986 law an affirmative defense which means you are charged and might even be aquitted  but will sit in jail until trial.  Some jurisdictions in New Jersey will even charge retired police officers carrying under LEOSA rules.

Why does New Jersey get their panties in a knot over hollow points?    Plain ignorance of firearms by low intelligence politicians who incorrectly believe hollow points are “more dangerous”. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 03:25:27 PM by Clarence »

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2022, 04:43:08 PM »
Maryland is a mixed bag.  I have not heard of FOPA violations there but I understand that State Police in Baltimore area harnessed a citizen at the tunnel just because they saw a Florida carry license in his wallet.

Unloaded and “snapped in a holster” is legal going to a range.  I have heard that the Sheriff Departments ( Wicomico and Worcester Counties) will not hassle you for an unloaded firearm but State Police will.

I do not believe that Maryland has any ammo laws.

In any case here is info from the Stste Police Website:

How can I legally transport firearms within / through Maryland?
​They must be unloaded, in a carrying case, holster with a flap and the ammunition should be separate. It would be best to keep the unloaded weapon in the trunk where you do not have access to it. There are further regulations but essentially you can only transport a handgun between residence, to and from a repair shop, a shooting sporting event, between a residence and place of business if substantially owned and operated by the person. For more information please contact our Licensing Division​.     

« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 05:19:09 PM by Clarence »

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

coolwrld

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 12:18:28 PM »
You are good for 6 months.  Also remember that you may carry in your vehicle on a license from ANY STATE without a PA LTCF

Thanks Clarence.  I printed out the approved notice from the York County Sheriff's site to have with me as well just in case.
DE - CCDW Permit Holder
NRA Life Member
New Castle County

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 03:51:18 PM »
Great.   Let us know how it goes.

coolwrld

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2022, 12:12:42 PM »
Great.   Let us know how it goes.

So I went yesterday to get the renewed permit at the satellite office off Rt 30. Gotta say it was a way better experience than my initial PA permit from Lancaster.  Didn't have to worry about finding parking, didn't have to worry about circling the block multiple times, etc... My appoint was for 11:30 got there at 11 the deputy in the lobby of the building didn't even bother asking me when my appointment was for just took me over to the desk right in the lobby asked for all my current IDs and the permit from Lancaster County. Verified everything took my pic and printed out and laminated the permit and handed it to me and off I went.  Actually took longer to park the car, walk to the building and get screened through the metal detector than it did to actually get the permit.  I think even if Lancaster starts doing non-resident permits again as long as York has the satellite office I'm going back there way better experience.  All told probably about 10 minutes.
DE - CCDW Permit Holder
NRA Life Member
New Castle County