Author Topic: From WDC  (Read 764 times)

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
From WDC
« on: June 20, 2022, 12:15:18 AM »
I copied this info and re-posted it here for you guys to read...

The following is from Brian Pettyjohn (PRO 2A)

As I have done for the past several years, I requested and received updated statistics on the dispositions of firearm charges in Delaware. As the General Assembly is once again considering criminalizing thousands of Delawareans who are owners of certain firearms and components, it is important to look how the State of Delaware is charging and prosecuting individuals who are committing the crimes already on the books.
As a preface, there are instances that, in the interest of Justice, charges against individuals are dismissed.
As shown in the accompanying report, in 2020, there were 4,057 firearm-related charges issued. At the time that I received the statistics, 561 were still pending. Of the 3,496 that had received some sort of judgement, 2,849 charges were nol-prossed. Simply put, 81% of firearm charges in 2020 were dismissed.
I requested clarification on these numbers. Of the 2,849 charges that were dismissed, 1,349 were dropped as part of a plea bargain. 71 were outright dismissed by the Attorney General.
As I continue to receive these numbers annually, it becomes clearer each year that Delaware does not have a “gun problem.” Rather, we have a lack of accountability problem. Instead of proposing and passing legislation that will do nothing except turn law-abiding citizens into criminals, we need to begin strictly enforcing the laws already in place.
**update:  i’ve heard from some of you that you do not understand the abbreviations that are used in the charges. Here is the key:
CCDW: carrying a concealed deadly weapon
PDWDCF: possession of a deadly weapon during the commission of a felony
PFDCF: possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony
NOLP:  nolle prosequi, A legal term which indicates abandonment by the prosecution of the charge
DISM: Charge dismissed

They want to come after YOU & I who are NOT criminals.....
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Just Bill

• Life Member
Re: From WDC
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 11:20:10 AM »
VERY interesting, but no surprises there.  Unfortunately for us.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith