Author Topic: Moving to Wilmington from Tennessee/Virginia - in shock....  (Read 1378 times)

DontWannaDieOnAJog

Moving to Wilmington from Tennessee/Virginia - in shock....
« on: October 22, 2022, 05:22:54 PM »
I grew up in TN and have lived in VA for a few years. I have been trying to digest the extent of the DE's concealed carry requirements over the past few days..... I am moving there early next year for work. Fair warning, I am venting. I don't have another outlet because I'm in a social milieu that acts like I'm about to storm the capital just because I like to carry a small pistol in case I need it.

Background - A few years ago, my dog and I were on a walk when we were attacked by a pit bull. The dog (which wasn't even that big, maybe 50 pounds?) latched on to my 80-pound dog's neck. I've never heard her scream like that. It took me ten minutes to get the dog off of her (after punching it in the eye five times at one point, which didn't phase it). I had marks from its canines all the way around my calf from where I pulled my leg out of its mouth just before it would have no doubt mauled the meaty part of my calf. My dog got lucky, as she has mane-like hair on her neck which prevented the dog from getting ahold of more flesh. Though, she did have numerous puncture wounds. After this, I looked into self-defense, and began carrying mace and a knife. I was still scared because mace is frequently ineffective against these dogs, and the fact that it would have to get so close to me to use my knife was not terribly reassuring. Not to mention I would be trying to control my own 80-pound dog during all of this.

Fast forward a few years - After enough trips to the range, I recently started carrying on my walks with my dog, and I simply didn't realize how paranoid I still was from the dog attack. I'm now outside exercising probably three times as much as before. I'm so much more relaxed. it's unreal. I've had dogs run up on us and I stayed perfectly calm, because I knew I could handle it if the worst happened. I also think this calmness helps to deter attacks in the first place. This was a wonderful feeling given how helpless I felt during the attack a few years prior (and how paranoid I was afterward).

Realizing that I likely won't be able to get a permit for concealed carry for at least several months (and probably longer, because my workplace is blue blue blue and references are unlikely) is just so disheartening. I know I can open carry, but I just don't want to draw that much attention to myself in a blue state with high crime rates. I am also a very private person, and I am not sure about advertising myself in the newspaper. Work is also politically sensitive on this issue, and it could very possibly affect my career.

It's just so odd to me... Given where I've lived, people around me have of course championed 2nd amendment rights, but even people who don't really care about gun rights were very supportive of women carrying while on a jog or a walk.

I don't mean to turn this into a gender issue, as I think the laws are absolutely ridiculous on their face (and Lord knows we've got enough people trying to turn everything into a "gender thing"). I just feel like as a female jogger/walker this is even more scary and unfair. I don't want to ever get into a hand-to-hand fight with anyone or anything. I'm just so angry that this newfound peace of mind will not be available to me in the state of DE. I don't understand how the strength disparity between men and women is not even considered in making these kinds of laws, especially with the culture's hyperfocus on gender right now. It puts women at the mercy of male criminals with twice the upper body strength and dogs that are known to frequently kill even grown men. I know I'm preaching to the choir here.... I'm just upset. From looking at news reports and judging by my own experience visiting the area last summer, DE seems to have a serious pit bull problem as well. I saw numerous hyena-sized pits on street corners with floss-thin leashes. By the way, criminals do use these dogs as weapons (but I can't conceal carry a pistol?).

I could use some advice on the following - is there anyone in Wilmington or the surrounding areas that can speak to the community's general reaction to open carrying? Is there anything I should be concerned about? Have there been any concerning prosecutions of people exercising their right to self-defense? Any concerning attitudes from District Attorneys (ya know, where they exercise performative empathy solely on behalf of the criminal perpetrator? Looking at you, Philadelphia)?

Any general advice (or commiseration) is welcome. And - on the bright side - if I'm forced to go public regarding concealed carry, I may as well get involved in the local political processes surrounding the issue.

Just Bill

• Life Member
Re: Moving to Wilmington from Tennessee/Virginia - in shock....
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 08:16:27 PM »
Welcome aboard!!  But Wilmington city is not good place to live or open carry.  Crime is high, bad guys generally don't get prosecuted.  Suburbs to west and south better crime wise.  The DE process is expensive and lengthy.  And one-party system in DE is determined to become CA.  There are multiple court battles currently in process.  There are probably some on this site that can help with references.  Others may disagree with my negativity, so be it.

Bill
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

DontWannaDieOnAJog

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 10:22:45 PM »
Welcome aboard!!  But Wilmington city is not good place to live or open carry.  Crime is high, bad guys generally don't get prosecuted.  Suburbs to west and south better crime wise.  The DE process is expensive and lengthy.  And one-party system in DE is determined to become CA.  There are multiple court battles currently in process.  There are probably some on this site that can help with references.  Others may disagree with my negativity, so be it.

Bill

Thank you for the warm welcome! And I appreciate the advice on Wilmington. I'll definitely check out the areas you mentioned for housing. I'm realizing I took my rights in TN for granted (and VA, to a slightly lesser degree).

I'll do my best to offset one of the NY transplants and look forward to funneling a chunk of my nice salary from my libbed out employer towards the cause (joking, kind of? I'll try to dial down the spice on future posts). Thanks again!

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 11:01:59 PM »
Freedom of speech is fully allowed here.  Speak your mind, you will not be booed here.  It is truly a shame you took such physical damage because your rights were limited.

My Basset Hound weas attacked by the neighbors Pit bulls, unfortunately I did not have much to stop them either. minimal damage when the neighbor actually stepped in.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 01:59:32 PM »
Unfortunately the references and the newspaper ad are long standing (1911).  In fact the references used to be from your election district. 

The recent Bruen decision MAY make these portions of the concealed carry law unconstitutional.  You seem like a perfect plaintiff for such a test case.

If you are willing to get involved, the Firearms Coalition is actively looking for Delaware residents to challenge these infringements on our rights.

You may want to get in contact with them. 

Firearms Policy Coalition. https://www.firearmspolicy.org

Hoping all goes well with you and please do continue following this forum.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 02:07:50 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Oaklandopen

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 03:11:13 PM »
I've only seen maybe 1 person open carry in my lifetime, and it was at a home depot in Wilmington.  I wanted to ask him if he ever gets grief from anyone but I was already in another line.  He was definitely dressed like a career painter as opposed to an off duty cop. I can appreciate open carry,  but I would say cc is favorable

The delaware process is pretty crappy and expensive.  I get your concern about ppl vouching for you.  No family and I think you have to have known them for 3+years.  I got all coworkers for mine and only one person was reserved about it.  Apparently he did it for someone else a while back and they ended up committing suicide,  which had nothing to do with cc.

I would say delaware is not the most horrible when it comes to handgun laws,  but they did rush through an AWB this summer after the back to back incidents in other states that really blow and are meaningless to preventing crimes.  It's also a major first step to get rid of handguns next anyway

I would say the Wilmington community is 2 teir. You have the haves and have-nots. The ones who are well off are in communities of their own and are ultra liberal.  The others are also in their own communities and unfortunately vote blue regardless and have to deal with crime firsthand.  Basically every blue city ever

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2022, 09:03:29 PM »
WELCOME!

OC in DE is lawful.  It has about as much activity as this forum (little) an OC forum.
For the longest they would go to various places for a dinner meeting every month.
If you OC and get into your car put the gun on the passenger seat or in a cup holder BETWEEN the seats IN FULL VIEW.

The hardest part for you in getting DE CCDW will be the references.  I believe they must have known you for a minimum of a year.
Since you will be a noobie to the State, you'll need a FULL NOTARIZED copy of your driving record in addition to the other hoops.
Depending on where you settle down, you might be able to use a smaller circulation paper for the ad VS the News Urinal.

If you have a permit DE honors, it will be valid UNTIL you become a DE resident.  Then, you MUST have DE to CC.

If you wish to discuss or looking for a place to shoot PM or call me.  Phone number is in profile under AIM.

Again welcome.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 09:11:58 PM »
Doubt most would even see OC if you were.  Most are stuck into their phones and have NO SA.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2022, 09:47:34 PM »
I do see it (oc)in Sussex once or twice a month. I have zero interest except maybe out in the woods in summer.

Open carry is mandatory when hunting. But I don’t hunt.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2022, 04:37:35 AM »
Welcome to the forum!
I share your concern about the waiting period in Delaware. It sucks, and there's no way around it... as soon as you get a DE driver's license, you can't carry for months.
Still, I would encourage you to apply as soon as possible. In Delaware, there are significant legal benefits to having a CCDW permit. Essentially, you would be exempt from a few restrictive and unconstitutional state laws. Also, if you apply now, they might complete part of the process before all the renewals hit (right after January 1st every year).

As for open carry: personally, I don't and I won't. I want to attract absolutely no extra attention from anyone. If I'm reading your post right, neither do you.

In Delaware, I've seen people freak out at our busy community yard sale in Bear when a guy got off his Harley with a Glock on his hip. I struck up a conversation with him to break the ice, mainly because I didn't want anyone to call 911 on the poor guy. It turned out he was just moving into our development; the hoplophobes calmed down & sold him some stuff.

Carrying in Wilmington? Everyone who sees you will remember you. Some of them might want your gun, which could lead to significant personal, medical, and legal jeopardy... at best.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Libertarian5

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2022, 03:27:53 PM »
Welcome! I live in N. Wilmington and no issues. I never opened carried and suggest against it. The process of getting my CCW permit was brutal the extended wait time almost 9 months but it was worth it. I also suggest getting your PA permit as well.