Author Topic: Try for md post NYSRPA v bruen?  (Read 4957 times)

Oaklandopen

Try for md post NYSRPA v bruen?
« on: June 28, 2022, 04:23:06 PM »
Looks like the app is electronic.  Never tried until now and it looks like it hasn't been changed.  The last option to check is about the reason for carrying,  and it requires documented proof of threats, etc. I'm guessing that part will be null and void at some point

Spoke to one of their approved course instructors,  apparently they are scurrying trying to figure out what to do either with compliance or work-arounds. I decided to stop the app process. I know Baltimore and probably Annapolis are the ones ruining things for the state,  they have a republican governor that shut down more laws before

He also mentioned the might still not even allow out-of-state permitting,  or maybe not without some reason to have one in md like living in de but having a business in MD. Seems like the recent ruling should shut that down too, seeing how everyone is free to move from state to state

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: Try for md post NYSRPA v bruen?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 07:25:56 PM »
I don’t see anything in the Maryland law that precludes issuance to non residents.

Interesting in that Delaware only issues non resident temporary 30 day permits at the discretion of the AG if the reason is deemed appropriate.  Looks like that would be flat out unconstitutional.  Because the ruling is also based on the Equal Protection clause  I would submit that every state must either issue Non Resident or recognize out of state licenses in the same manner as a drivers license or a marriage license.  This is NOT a second class right.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 08:17:07 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Oaklandopen

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 09:46:41 AM »
And I haven't seen anything about out of state(non) issuance either.  The guy told me md doesn't honor any other ccw, which is obvious,  but seemed to also think md just straight up wouldn't allow anyone out of state to get one anyway.  I really wish the reciprocity bill brought up some years ago could go forward again,  but would probably need either supermajority or both houses and pres.

I have family in md and I occasionally spend money in that state so it would be nice to carry.  And who wants a wallet full of ccws?

del elec

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 11:57:30 AM »
And I haven't seen anything about out of state(non) issuance either.  The guy told me md doesn't honor any other ccw, which is obvious,  but seemed to also think md just straight up wouldn't allow anyone out of state to get one anyway.  I really wish the reciprocity bill brought up some years ago could go forward again,  but would probably need either supermajority or both houses and pres.
I have family in md and I occasionally spend money in that state so it would be nice to carry.  And who wants a wallet full of ccws?
It actually could have happened then. The bill had passed the house, but RINO McConnell wouldn't let it out for a vote in the senate. Trump said that he would sign it if it reached his desk. It was definitely a missed opportunity.
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 10:05:27 PM »
I was born and raised in Maryland on the Eastern Shore, and lived there until I went into the Military at 18. Still have many relatives and friends there. I have never heard of, or known anyone that had a CCW permit there unless they were a State Police Officer or a retired LEO. One of my best friends is a retired MD. LEO and has a permit. As far as I know MD. honors no other states permit and does not issue or accept any non-resident permits. Period.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Oaklandopen

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 10:32:33 PM »
I was born and raised in Maryland on the Eastern Shore, and lived there until I went into the Military at 18. Still have many relatives and friends there. I have never heard of, or known anyone that had a CCW permit there unless they were a State Police Officer or a retired LEO. One of my best friends is a retired MD. LEO and has a permit. As far as I know MD. honors no other states permit and does not issue or accept any non-resident permits. Period.

Sounds like maybe a good start for a lawsuit then?

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 12:53:01 PM »
Where in Maryland law does it state that a “Wear and Carry” permit is not available to non residents?

I understand that the law makes no allowance for recognition of out of state carry licenses.

With the NY case specifically noting the Equal Protection Clause it’s hard to see how non residents could be denied a permit.

Oaklandopen

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 09:15:10 AM »
Where in Maryland law does it state that a “Wear and Carry” permit is not available to non residents?

I can't find anything,  and it would be strange for them to change their current rules to be non-inclusive to out of state when we are talking about a constitutional amendment

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 10:24:03 AM »

I understand that the law makes no allowance for recognition of out of state carry licenses.

With the NY case specifically noting the Equal Protection Clause it’s hard to see how non residents could be denied a permit.

I don't think it does. Under current restrictions they would simply deny the application. You have to remember that "self protection" alone was never a good enough reason for granting a permit to a resident.

Oaklandopen

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2022, 11:45:52 AM »
imagine if they can't deny permits after applications due to the scotus ruling, but they can deny applications from out-of-state (or try to)

it's like in boot camp when the DI's could not deny you permission to take a leak, but you had to request permission to speak first. and when they see you doing the PP dance, they deny you permission to speak lol

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2022, 11:38:09 PM »
Gun permit issues are handled by the State Police in Maryland. I know several MD State Police officers and the opinion I get from them is they don't think civilians should be able to carry guns at all.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Oaklandopen

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2022, 08:39:17 PM »
i posted this on another thread, but i logged into the md portal and i had a message on 8/2 about my application

the email was in my spam folder, but the title is "MD HGP - Your application has been given a final disposition" and the body basically said the app has been completed by the MSP, and that i'll receive some sort of written notification of the disposition in the mail. i should be getting that any day now since it said 5-7 business days starting last tuesday

Oaklandopen

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2022, 08:51:06 PM »
another update. after going through the portal it does look like my application was approved

although the approval is not the actual card i need to carry around, it is a relief that it went through really without a hitch.

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2022, 10:31:29 AM »
another update. after going through the portal it does look like my application was approved

although the approval is not the actual card i need to carry around, it is a relief that it went through really without a hitch.
Great news!!   What was your accepted date?   I think I am about a week behind you.

Oaklandopen

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2022, 12:22:00 PM »

Great news!!   What was your accepted date?   I think I am about a week behind you.

Accepted 7/12, approved 8/2. No restrictions aside from where you aren't allowed to carry under md and federal laws. 

I guess I'm just waiting for the card.  Should be coming in the mail 5-7 business days after the 8/2 approval