Author Topic: Maryland Non-Resident CCW Permit??  (Read 9060 times)

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: Maryland Non-Resident CCW Permit??
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2022, 09:36:08 PM »
my permit came in today. dropped off at the neighbor's but he brought it over.

my renewal will be in the spring of 2025

Congratulations!!!  I guess the rumor of the printer crapping out was true. 
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2022, 12:16:26 AM »
I moved to AZ a year ago, but I still come to this site every day to follow how your 2A rights are getting taken away in one state & slightly restored in another...
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Oaklandopen

« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2022, 11:55:33 AM »
I moved to AZ a year ago, but I still come to this site every day to follow how your 2A rights are getting taken away in one state & slightly restored in another...

i love the "slightly restored" line

it's the craziest thing. the 2nd really is the ONLY right that gets torn up the way it does at state levels. not only that, these states know the process to make things worse is much faster than the process to get things back to how they were originally written (meaning supreme court decision). then, you have states that are just not caring about SCOTUS decisions in the least

i really wish we could get something going with the reciprocity bill that was introduced some years ago. i get that the permitting part, especially for concealed, is probably not going away in a few of the states.

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2022, 12:29:49 AM »
Clarence, any update on your application?  I'm still waiting for a NICS number.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2022, 03:08:04 AM »
I submitted 7/18 accepted about an hour later and got a NICS 7/28.  Crickets since. 

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2022, 01:28:59 PM »
I've submitted and that's where it is at. ....
8/10

Email today ACCEPTED
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 04:06:47 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2022, 09:10:06 PM »
Approved today. Now to keep watch on mailbox. 29 days from application accepted to approved.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 09:34:19 PM by Clarence »

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2022, 02:04:07 PM »
I called MDSP and I received a standard answer to my question on an update.  90 days from acceptance is the expected tim for approval.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2022, 02:20:13 PM »
I called MDSP and I received a standard answer to my question on an update.  90 days from acceptance is the expected tim for approval.
If you go to the Maryland Forum (MD Shooters)  you will see that they do a good job tracking submitted, accepted and approved timelines.  It seems like calling the MSP will do no good ( like calling the Prothonotary office in Delaware)

https://www.mdshooters.com/posts/6753511/
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 02:22:10 PM by Clarence »

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2022, 12:19:19 AM »
Thanks for that, Clarence.  The MDShooters site said to look at the upper left hand corner of your application when you go to Print Application on the MDSP licensing portal and you will see the NICS number, if assigned.  That said, my application has a NICS number issued 8-11-22.  Waiting on the next step and not holding my breath.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2022, 12:30:38 AM »
Boondock Saint on thr MDShooters Forun posted these averages as of last evening.  Can't copy and past.

Go to:  https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/application-progress-tracking-thread.266788/page-158#post-6755327
  Post # 3154 for the averages of submission and approval times.

NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2022, 12:57:14 AM »
Boondock Saint on thr MDShooters Forun posted these averages as of last evening.  Can't copy and past.

Go to:  https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/application-progress-tracking-thread.266788/page-158#post-6755327
  Post # 3154 for the averages of submission and approval times.
I think what we are seeing is a massive number of application coming in after the July 16-17 weekend as folks completed training.  The one thing I can’t understand is the wide gap between Submitted and Accepted.   Mine was less than an hour.  Someone ( a civilian?) actually looks through what you submitted and verifies that everything the investigator needs is available.  Seems these are looked at in no particular order.

The accepted e-mail says that you will be notified when an investigator is assigned.   This is not happening because the subjective “good and substantial” is gone. 

The investigator is a sworn State Trooper submits the prints to NICS and pulls an FBI Identity History Summary Check  ( “Rap Sheet”) as well as checking about a dozen other state and federal data bases.  If nothing is found references, employers and spouses are not called.  At this point apparently they are given final approval by accepted date. 

Starting the week of 7/18 there is a huge surge in applications.  That is what we are seeing now.

This is all quite interesting as all other states just approve and send you the license in whatever time frame suits them.  Maryland uniquely gives you the ability to track the progress.  This is why all the angst and speculation on the MDshooters and Reddit websites.

It’s important to note that the Maryland State Police have had to do a 180 in that since April of 1972 the “good and substantial” reason had been law that they had to enforce.  They did not make the law.  Prior to 1972, Maryland ( except the city of Baltimore ) was open carry with concealed carry at the discretion of the county sheriffs who used to give out concealed licenses to supporters in the form of badges or pins with a letter.   The current system remained unchanged from 1972 until July 5th, 2022 when Governor Hogan ordered the state police to follow Bruen and make the state “ Shall Issue”. 

I think they are actually doing the best they can with the resources they have.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 05:10:31 PM by Clarence »

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2022, 01:50:55 AM »
I agree.  The SCOUTS decision and Gov. Hogan's elimination of the "good and substantial reason" opened the floodgates and the MDSP is getting overwelmed with applications.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 11:15:20 PM by MarkB »
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Oaklandopen

« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2022, 01:04:12 PM »
That's interesting that the people you list don't get called if nothing comes back on the background checks.  I asked my people and they all said no one called

I'm glad I did mine pretty quick since I didn't have to do the training.  If I had waited it probably would have taken me longer.  Guess I was in the early group after the hogan decision

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2022, 07:06:59 PM »
Update:

June 23.  SCOTUS decision
July 5:     Hogan order
July 5:     Start application,  #HGP202223***, schedule training
July 10:   Get “live scan” prints.  ( Berlin MD)
July. 11.   start training
July. 16.   Complete training ( Salisbury MD)
July 17.    Submit application ( receive acknowledgment email). Pay 75$ fee
July 17.    Receive “accepted” email stating that it was reviewed for completeness. No further           .        documentation needed I will receive another e-mail when an investigator is assigned.
July 28    NICS number on application in dashboard ( this is rumored to be 3-5 days prior to assignment of an investigator. )
?              Assign investigator
August 16        Receive final disposition email
August 20       Wear and Carry permit #HGP22-499xx in mailbox
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 05:08:01 PM by Clarence »