Author Topic: Maryland Non-Resident CCW Permit??  (Read 9043 times)

MarkB

• Life Member
Maryland Non-Resident CCW Permit??
« on: July 05, 2022, 12:49:34 AM »
What are your thoughts on trying to get a Maryland non-resident CCW permit (called a "Wear and Carry Permit") in light of the recent SCOTUS decision vs New York?

Needed are a passport color photo, fingerprints and a training course unless exempt and passing a background check.  Allow 90 days for approval.  Exemptions are:

You are an active law enforcement officer with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State or any local law enforcement agency in the State.
    You are a retired law enforcement officer with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State or any local law enforcement agency in the State.
    You are an active, retired, or honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard.
    You are a Qualified Handgun Instructor registered with the Maryland State Police.
    You have successfully completed a firearms training course given by a Qualified Handgun Instructor. (The on-line firearm safety course is no longer accepted).

Reasons could be personal protection due to the rising crime rate, personal handicap and the SCOTUS decision.  Any other valid reasons?

What do you think?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 01:40:38 AM by MarkB »
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
Re: Maryland N0n-Resident CCW Permit??
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 02:15:18 AM »
"Allow 90 days for processing....."

FASTER
then Delaware!
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Oaklandopen

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 11:09:41 AM »
I signed up on their permitting portal last week but their "reasoning" categories haven't changed.  The last check box saying "personal protection", then a description about needing documented proof of threats,  robberies,  etc, is still there. That's where I stopped in the process because I didn't know if I was going to have to scan something.  Although that category shouldn't really be there anymore,  it still is.  I contacted one of the approved training individuals about it and he told me to wait

My guess is someone would spend the money and it might not go anywhere until the md legislature completes their part of adjusting permitting post bruin. I think maybe you could get reimbursed for the permitting fee, but certainly not any training courses or passport pics.

I'm interested in one because I have family there.  And of the few times I patronize businesses in md it's always in elkton,  and that place has some real iffy areas,  including a murder at a small gas station across the street where my dad works,  which is also elkton PD headquarters

Wayne15464

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 12:55:15 PM »
I certainly wouldn't/won't be one of the first to try.

But, of course, we do need people to be first (so we can find out if they are really going to issue any), so I vote you try it.

;) ;)  ;D ;D

Oaklandopen

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 04:13:34 PM »
Well it's not like you'd be arrested either.  But there is another post on here saying hogan just announced that section has been dropped

I'm going to keep going for one so I'll be needing to do some more fingerprinting and find I guess 3 people to vouch. I just don't know if they need to reside in md or just any non- family member.  I think it would be brilliant to force you to know someone for 2+ years in a different state

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 06:48:42 PM »
I certainly wouldn't/won't be one of the first to try.

But, of course, we do need people to be first (so we can find out if they are really going to issue any), so I vote you try it.

;) ;)  ;D ;D
[/quote

I think there will be a slew of out of staters applying.  All of the states ( including Washington D.c.) surrounding Maryland are “shall issue” except Delaware and there is a lot of crossing of state lines especially in the Virginia area. We in southern Sussex County  could sure use a Maryland license.

Clarence Thomas did note in his ruling that Delaware ACTED like a Shall Issue state.   I would guess that the highly restricted process for an out of state CCW in Delaware is unconstitutional as well as the 5 signature from your county. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 07:04:36 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

slsharp

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 08:56:23 PM »
You got that right, Clarence, it would be nice to have down here in Sussex county, as the Peninsula is split right in half and I've slipped up more than once.

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 12:12:44 AM »
Now that Gov. Hogan has eliminated the "personal Protection" requirement for the MD Wear and Carry Permit (it has been removed from the first page but appears on other pages) it is time to apply for a Maryland CCW permit.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 01:41:10 AM by MarkB »
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 09:36:08 PM »
I submitted my Wear and Carry application today.  I'll keep you updated on how it goes.  Check back in 90 days (or maybe more).
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 10:53:23 PM »
I submitted my Wear and Carry application today.  I'll keep you updated on how it goes.  Check back in 90 days (or maybe more).
Where did you do your Live Scan?

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 11:18:10 PM »
There were two places listed in Salisbury which are the closest to me in Milton: CJIS MVA at 251 Tilghman Rd and Bay Shore Services, Inc at 1235 Pemberton Rd.  I believe the MVA location is part of Motor Vehicles and is a State facility.  I chose Bay Shore Services because they are not a State facility.  I thought it would be quicker with them.  I called yesterday (Thursday) about 9:45 AM and I was able to make an appointment for 3:45 the same day.  I drove there and was in and out in less than 15 minutes.  The cost was $51.25 for the fingerprinting and background checks (State and Federal).  The phone number for Bay Shore Services is 410-341-0307.  They do not take credit cards siI pain with cash.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2022, 12:44:20 AM »
If the MSP numbers permit applications consequentially then based upon my application number over 30270 applications have been submitted for all of 2022. That also means there are over 30200 applications ahead of me.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2022, 01:54:36 AM »
I found one in Berlin.  Will they give you a number to put on the application?  I will do the classes next week so that should be it.  In some ways easier than Delaware.  No newspaper ad and the references are just listed and can live anywhere. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 02:23:37 AM by Clarence »

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2022, 09:41:50 AM »
The number you will need is shown on the receipt for the fingerprinting.  You will also have to send a copy of the receipt with the application.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Oaklandopen

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2022, 01:01:21 PM »
ugh i've been trying to call the number provided from the hyperlink in the application and all 3 or 4 times it was on-hold music for like 30 minutes. i figured i'd waste a day and go to the walk-in site in baltimore but the address puts it in a shopping center and no actual building. if it's anything like dover i'm sure i'd be standing in line forever