Author Topic: Maryland Non-Resident CCW Permit??  (Read 9045 times)

MarkB

• Life Member
Re: Maryland Non-Resident CCW Permit??
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2022, 08:02:06 PM »
Thanks, I'll keep checking.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2022, 04:11:05 PM »
For information purposes here is the scored shooting test required by the Maryland State Police for a Wear and Carry Permit.  The first part is for armed guards, W&C applicants use the second course of fire.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Documents/Live%20Fire%20Courses%20(2).doc.pdf

Your trainer will score the target ( just has to be in the black) and give you a document that you will attach to your on-line application.  Make sure you and the trainer sign this.  A perfect score is 25. 
You must get 70% of 50 shots  in the black. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 04:15:00 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Oaklandopen

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2022, 09:13:33 PM »
For information purposes here is the scored shooting test required by the Maryland State Police for a Wear and Carry Permit.  The first part is for armed guards, W&C applicants use the second course of fire.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Documents/Live%20Fire%20Courses%20(2).doc.pdf

Your trainer will score the target ( just has to be in the black) and give you a document that you will attach to your on-line application.  Make sure you and the trainer sign this.  A perfect score is 25. 
You must get 70% of 50 shots  in the black.

not gonna lie, i actually appreciate this type of qualification after looking things over. at first i only knew the gist of the qualifying. it sort of brought me back to military handgun training. although i can't remember exactly what i needed to do to qual with the handgun, a lot of this is sounding familiar.

in the end i only scored to sharpshooter on the beretta (blamed it on the soda i had before shooting) but the distances were definitely farther, time shorter, and more rounds were sent down range. i'd love to be more involved in tactical training but $$$

slsharp

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2022, 12:24:15 PM »
Ok I think this training required is ridiculous. 
Who died and left the State of Md. in charge of how WELL I shoot?  I don't think that should be their purview. A hunting license does not require target practice. A drivers license does not require 20 laps around the local dirt track. (yet they would let illegals vote, same day registration and no ID)
Safety, on the other hand IS relevant, knowing what your limitations are, and of course where and how to carry.
This is nothing but nothing but infringement and intimidation in my book.
-Simon

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2022, 08:32:25 PM »

For initial application they require 16hrs of training.
8hr on renewal.

Sure your de didn't cover it.
This begs the question as to what is done in the second 8 hours. Is it 8 more hours of range time or is it 8 more hours of listening to an instructor and watching a slide show?

I’ll let you know.  Starting training tomorrow and I’ll post a report.

Perhaps I missed it but haven't seen your update.

June 23.  SCOTUS decision
July 5:     Hogan order
July 5:     Start application,  #HGP202223***, schedule training
July 10:   Get “live scan” prints.  ( Berlin MD)
July. 11.   start training
July. 16.   Complete training ( Salisbury MD)
July 17.    Submit application ( receive acknowledgment email). Pay 75$ fee
July 17.    Receive “accepted” email stating that it was reviewed for completeness. No further           .        documentation needed I will receive another e-mail when an investigator is assigned.
July 28    NICS number on application in dashboard ( this is rumored to be 3-5 days prior to assignment of an investigator. )
?              Assign investigator
?              Receive final disposition
?              Card in mailbox

Clarence, you are running faster than me.  I submitted on 7/8 and it was accepted on 7/19.  As a veteran I didn't need the training.  I'm still waiting for a NICS number to appear.  Where did the NICS number show up?  In the messages or in the HGP update section?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 10:48:51 PM by MarkB »
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Oaklandopen

« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2022, 10:25:24 AM »
Ok I think this training required is ridiculous. 
Who died and left the State of Md. in charge of how WELL I shoot?  I don't think that should be their purview. A hunting license does not require target practice. A drivers license does not require 20 laps around the local dirt track. (yet they would let illegals vote, same day registration and no ID)
Safety, on the other hand IS relevant, knowing what your limitations are, and of course where and how to carry.
This is nothing but nothing but infringement and intimidation in my book.
-Simon

I totally understand the infringement on it's merit considering the text of the 2nd, but at the same time I appreciate a person's ability to demonstrate competence. And the distances involved in the training shouldn't be difficult in the least unless you have some kind of physical disability

And I wonder what percentage of first time gun buyers are going to the range to actually fire them in a timely fashion.  I know first hand a couple that bought a shotgun 2 years ago that have yet to shoot it,  even after I've begged them over and over again.  At this point they should have just gotten a Louisville since they'll probably just end up not knowing how to use it and swing it anyway

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2022, 11:33:05 AM »
Oaklandopen:   I agreed with you 100% on the value of training and regularly honing your shooting skills. 

The problem here is the infringement by mandating such. 

slsharp

« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2022, 12:16:29 PM »
Sorry I just needed to rant; I HATE the blatant disregard these sap sucking politicians have for the 2nd Amendment.
Hope you all get the Md. permits soon.  I will have to wait.
Simon

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2022, 02:20:01 PM »
Finger printing done today.
Application submitted

The WAIT is on.....
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Seth

« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2022, 07:42:51 PM »
Just signed up to take the class in a couple weekends. And so the process begins...
DE - PA - MD CCW

"But, for the grace of God, go I."

Oaklandopen

« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2022, 08:36:49 PM »
so as of 8/2 my application was approved. i was awaiting an email instead of logging into the portal everyday, but it went to my spam

WHOEVER APPLIED YOU NEED TO CHECK YOUR SPAM!!! lol

the email i received, and was a message on the portal, basically said that the MSP completed the review of my permit, and that i will receive a written notification of the disposition via USPS within 5-7 business days. i really don't know what that means. it literally sound like i might get a letter that says "we have completed a review of your application and determined you will be able to wear and carry......." and that it won't be the actual card. or maybe that is the card or proof that i am able to carry, who knows

anyway, 8/2 was last tuesday so i am now eagerly awaiting some sort of letter in the mail.

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2022, 10:01:17 PM »
Congrats, Oaklandopen.  You are the first here , I think, to get approved.  I was accepted on 7/19/22 and I'm waiting for a further update.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2022, 12:14:44 PM »
MarkB.  Did you get your NICS number and date yet?

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2022, 06:55:57 PM »
Clarence, no number yet.  I keep checking both the HGP Application and Messages tabs but nothing yet.  The last update was 7/19/22 with "Acceptance".
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Oaklandopen

« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2022, 07:57:47 PM »
my permit came in today. dropped off at the neighbor's but he brought it over.

my renewal will be in the spring of 2025