Author Topic: Questions for you in the Maryland process.  (Read 1842 times)

DelawareGold

• We the People
Questions for you in the Maryland process.
« on: July 25, 2022, 08:26:09 AM »
The closest MD Accredited Trainers (I can find) are 2-1/2 hours,
each way from Claymont.
Has anyone found a trainer closer to home?
Same for the fingerprinting, most are around the Baltimore
area, is there anyone closer? Is DSP Acceptable?
What is a Passport Size Digital Photo? How many pixels by how
many pixels?
I also haven't found any information regarding the 3 references.
Many thanks, if anyone can help.
Do what is right.
Love what is just.
Walk in humility with GOD.

Oaklandopen

Re: Questions for you in the Maryland process.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 11:24:13 AM »
Must use md for printing,  they have special codes for the paperwork you have to do showing you're getting your background done for weapons.  And of the dozen times I tried to make an appointment closer to home I never got through to a real person,  so I went to Baltimore for the walk-in

I actually took my own photos in front of a white wall with my cellphone,  and didn't compress it.  You can crop and adjust on the md online application,  which is nice because it saves some money from getting it elsewhere.  That also means you don't have to take a photo and scan it to upload it onto their site.  Make sure you have good lighting,  just Google passport photos and you'll see what it's supposed to look like

I can't answer for training because I was exempt,  but I believe everyone is backed up at this point so you might be a few months out

3 references are anyone that's not your family that cann vouch for you and have known you for I think at least 3 years.  I chose coworkers

Really everything you need is on their website.  Just Google md concealed carry and you'll get to where you need to go

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 11:58:40 AM »
There's a list of trainers on their site.  I'm one of them.  But at this time NOT offering it.  Haven't looked at what is needed.
And to be honest, not thrilled at offering a 2 day class.

I was going to call the police station on Elkton as they were listed too.

I'm going to start the process soon.

search for instructors here.  https://emdsp.mdsp.org/verification/

Finger printing here. https://www.dpscs.state.md.us/publicservs/fingerprint.shtml

Instructions for creating and filling online application https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Documents/Wear%20and%20Carry%20Portal%20Users%20Guide.pdf
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 12:21:04 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 12:50:03 PM »
REASON for finger printing....

Wear and Carry: Below is the information that you should provide to the LiveScan technician for fingerprinting:

Agency Authorization Number: 9400082484
Agency ORI Number: MDMSP6000
Reason Fingerprinted: MD Public Safety Article, Section 5-305

Found here https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Fingerprinting.aspx
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

DelawareGold

• We the People
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 06:22:33 PM »
Thanks for the info. That is a lot of driving!
5 hours each day for the training, 5 hours for
the fingerprinting. Rarely do I go further than
Elkton, for overpriced crabs.
Do what is right.
Love what is just.
Walk in humility with GOD.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 06:37:21 PM »
Make sure the “livescan” printing you get is for “Wear and Carry” as Maryland apparently has separate codes for W&C, Handgun qualification and gun registration purposes.

I’m in south east Sussex County so my fingerprint location (Berlin) and training (Salisbury) won’t help you. 

You can start the process now by setting up an account at the Maryland State Police portal and just add to it as you complete the various parts of the process.  If you need the training (16 hours) that is the costliest and most time consuming.  Your references will not need to sign anything.  Non family.  Jut need name, address, phone email and thier employment if they are employed. Beyond that it is much simpler than Delaware as it’s all online. No stack of papers and copies.  Picture is very easy. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 06:40:54 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 06:54:09 PM »
The closest MD Accredited Trainers (I can find) are 2-1/2 hours,
each way from Claymont.
Has anyone found a trainer closer to home?
Same for the fingerprinting, most are around the Baltimore
area, is there anyone closer? Is DSP Acceptable?
What is a Passport Size Digital Photo? How many pixels by how
many pixels?
I also haven't found any information regarding the 3 references.
Many thanks, if anyone can help.

I just saw this on the Maryland Forum:

I will preface this post by saying, MODs if I am not permitted to post, please let me know. Thanks.

We have spaces in our CCW class this week July 26-28 from 5pm-10pm. The course is discounted 20% as the last course for July, the promo code is JULY22. Registration can be done at www.trainwithpinnacle.com. The class is in Eldersburg, MD. There will be a vendor available to do prints if you need them.

Gungate recently took our course and recommended I post. For those of you that want to expedite your application there are spaces available in this course at this discounted price. August classes will be posted soon, and we will be adding new locations in Baltimore County. Just wanted to give everyone another option if they are trying to get their applications done, MSP

Eldersburg is north west Of Baltimore.  From Claymont about 1:45 minutes but looks like 3 trips
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 06:57:32 PM by Clarence »

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 03:15:41 PM »
FYI : Remember, if you served in the US Military, were honorably discharged, and have your DD214 to prove it, you are exempt from the 16 hour training and the expense that goes with it.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Vig

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2022, 03:01:35 PM »
Is there a timeline for how long the fingerprinting is good for? I know for my Delaware permit it had to be done within 45 days of submitting the application.

I have my 2nd day of training August 15th, and I plan on being in Baltimore August 4th for work, so could I get my fingerprinting done then and be good to submit everything August 15th?
DE, PA, UT, MD, NJ CCW

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2022, 05:29:15 PM »
I saw a post on the Maryland Shooters app that they were good for 30 days but I see nothing official.  You can start your application any time.  Submit your fingerprints before training.   The “Livescan” folks will give you a paper with a number that you will put in on the application.

Just save and add items like fingerprints, training, photo etc. as you go along.  When you have everything then you can submit and pay.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 06:42:02 PM by Clarence »

Vig

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2022, 11:52:35 PM »
Perfect
I saw a post on the Maryland Shooters app that they were good for 30 days but I see nothing official.  You can start your application any time.  Submit your fingerprints before training.   The “Livescan” folks will give you a paper with a number that you will put in on the application.

Just save and add items like fingerprints, training, photo etc. as you go along.  When you have everything then you can submit and pay.

Perfect.

Yeah, I started the application and uploaded my passport pic and everything. Just need the fingerprints and training and I should be good to submit.
DE, PA, UT, MD, NJ CCW

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2022, 02:34:05 PM »
The MSP Portal is quite a bit more sophisticated than the black hole Delaware system.  You may start your application and then add various requisites as you obtain them. 

Apparently your application number and not your completion and submission date gets priority.  The number is HGP2022xxxxx.   

For reference apparently when the SCOTUS opinion came down the number was HGP202216xxxxx.  Numerous people uploaded the SCOTUS opinion after June 23 as their “ good and substantial reason”

On July 5, Governor Hogan ordered the MSP to drop the G&S reason and the apps were at HGP202023000

They are now in the 60’s.  So at least 47k have been filed since the decision June 24. 

Approvals and cards in mailboxes have been reported during the last week.  Looks like about 31 days from submission to mailbox.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 02:38:23 PM by Clarence »

Vig

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2022, 03:31:58 PM »
The MSP Portal is quite a bit more sophisticated than the black hole Delaware system.  You may start your application and then add various requisites as you obtain them. 

Apparently your application number and not your completion and submission date gets priority.  The number is HGP2022xxxxx.   

For reference apparently when the SCOTUS opinion came down the number was HGP202216xxxxx.  Numerous people uploaded the SCOTUS opinion after June 23 as their “ good and substantial reason”

On July 5, Governor Hogan ordered the MSP to drop the G&S reason and the apps were at HGP202023000

They are now in the 60’s.  So at least 47k have been filed since the decision June 24. 

Approvals and cards in mailboxes have been reported during the last week.  Looks like about 31 days from submission to mailbox.

I just tried to look around on my application and I can’t find the application number. Is that something that’s internal for them?

Just got my fingerprinting done yesterday and loaded it onto the site, I have my 2nd day training coming up August 15th, so I’ll be submitting everything then.
DE, PA, UT, MD, NJ CCW

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2022, 08:47:31 PM »
Vig:   When you submit and pay you will immediately get an email with your number. 

The number will actually go back to when you started it but they don’t give you the number until you submit and pay.

After you submit the next thing that will happen is you will get an email saying it’s accepted. This means that someone has actually looked over your application and the documentation is complete and correct.  Be sure to put in the licensed trainer id number from the drop down when filling out that portion.  Also the correct number from the “livescan” paperwork.  The time from submitted to accepted varies wildly from less than an hour to two weeks. 

The “accepted” email will say that you will be notified when an investigator has been assigned.  Apparently this isn’t happening and after a NICS number is assigned ( about a week or two) you should in about another two weeks  get an email that you were approved and about 4 days the permit should be in your home mailbox.

This seems to be the best info people on the Maryland forum are talking about.

I apologize my typo on the app numbers in my prior post. Here is better info:

June 23 ( day of SCOTUS). HGP202216***
July.   5. ( Hogan order to MSP) HGP202223***
As of yesterday:   HGP202260***

« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 08:58:59 PM by Clarence »

Vig

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2022, 06:09:54 AM »
Vig:   When you submit and pay you will immediately get an email with your number. 

The number will actually go back to when you started it but they don’t give you the number until you submit and pay.

After you submit the next thing that will happen is you will get an email saying it’s accepted. This means that someone has actually looked over your application and the documentation is complete and correct.  Be sure to put in the licensed trainer id number from the drop down when filling out that portion.  Also the correct number from the “livescan” paperwork.  The time from submitted to accepted varies wildly from less than an hour to two weeks. 

The “accepted” email will say that you will be notified when an investigator has been assigned.  Apparently this isn’t happening and after a NICS number is assigned ( about a week or two) you should in about another two weeks  get an email that you were approved and about 4 days the permit should be in your home mailbox.

This seems to be the best info people on the Maryland forum are talking about.

I apologize my typo on the app numbers in my prior post. Here is better info:

June 23 ( day of SCOTUS). HGP202216***
July.   5. ( Hogan order to MSP) HGP202223***
As of yesterday:   HGP202260***

This is awesome information, Clarence. Thanks a lot!
DE, PA, UT, MD, NJ CCW