Author Topic: Chipping Away at the Unconstitutional GCA of 1968  (Read 721 times)

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Chipping Away at the Unconstitutional GCA of 1968
« on: September 20, 2022, 09:02:38 PM »
One of the most egregious parts of the ‘68 Gun Control Act, the denial of obtaining a firearm by an individual merely charged with a felony (before a conviction) has been thrown out by a Federal Judge.

The opinion here: 

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.txwd.1165328/gov.uscourts.txwd.1165328.82.0.pdf

Can be boiled down to this:

The Second Amendment is not a “second class right.” No longer can courts balance away a constitutional right. After Bruen, the Government must prove that laws regulating conduct covered by the Second Amendment’s plain text align with this Nation’s historical tradition. The Government does not meet that burden. Although not exhaustive, the Court’s historical survey finds little evidence that § 922(n)—which prohibits those under felony indictment from obtaining a firearm—aligns with this Nation’s historical tradition. As a result, this Court holds that (18 USC) § 922(n) is unconstitutional.

Thus the first nail in the coffin of the Gun Control Act is driven.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 09:07:41 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Just Bill

• Life Member
Re: Chipping Away at the Unconstitutional GCA of 1968
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 10:00:12 PM »
Before a conviction, bad, if convicted, no gun!!
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Seth

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 11:52:14 AM »
This is great news!

I wish they would also create a better way for non-violent felons to have their 2nd Amendment rights restored. Not sure if you guys every peruse Delaware law, but it is super easy to catch a felony. I personally don't have a felony, but for those that do and have changed from their lawless ways it seems there should be a better path forward for them.
DE - PA - MD CCW

"But, for the grace of God, go I."

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 02:30:44 PM »
Seth:  I agree.   Historically felonies were crimes punishable by death.  The GCA actually bans possession for felons and also anyone convicted of a crime PUNISHABLE by more than one year imprisonment ( 2 years for state misdemeanors). This impediment is for life.

People especially when young plead to misdemeanors and find out later that they are now lifetime prohibited.

Examples:

Driving 25 miles over the speed limit in Virginia is considered reckless driving and is a class A misdemeanor PUNISHABLE by up to 3 year’s imprisonment.  Even though you just paid a fine you are now lifetime prohibited person.

Case right now in federal court of a guy who was convicted of selling bootleg cassette tapes through the mail in the 1970’s and is prohibited.  As it is federal his only way out is a presidential pardon!!

I knew a guy who sold a small bag of marijuana to an undercover cop in the ‘70s, plead guilty on the promise he would do no time and was prohibited until he recently got a pardon.

I think all of these laws will need to be re-examined

The Bruen decision clearly states that the Second Amendment is not a second class right.  It cannot be “means tested” in that we look at what MIGHT happen if the law is overturned.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 12:03:57 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun