Author Topic: Thinking of DE  (Read 3017 times)

Nomad

Thinking of DE
« on: December 31, 2022, 02:19:00 PM »
Happy New Year folks.

I just joined your forum.

My wife and I are in the process of moving from NJ to somewhere a bit warmer. One criterion for our new home state is not having to kiss anyone's a$$ to exercise our 2nd Amendment rights. As you may have heard, NJ and NY have both passed a bunch of laws that seek to neutralize last summer's supreme court ruling. How's the climate in Delaware?

1. How easy was it to get CC before the ruling?
2. How about now? Has it become easier?
3. Is your legislature attempting the same illegal pseudo-remedies as NJ?
4. Has the climate for CC and guns generally improved since the summer, deteriorated, or stayed the same?
5. Overall feelings about your state's firearm and CC laws?

Sorry for the laundry list, and of course you don't have to answer all those questions. I value the advice of rank and file much more so than any article or "expert's" opinion on this matter.

Sincerely,

"Nomad"

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: Thinking of DE
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 04:23:26 PM »
I would recommend you go to a Conservative Republican, red state, with a long record of conservative elected officials. Delaware is definitely not it. Sorry Delaware, but you are what you are.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Oaklandopen

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 06:06:12 PM »
1. Wasn't difficult for me,  but time consuming and expensive.  The MD process was much easier and they recognize veterans so I skipped the training course
2. My guess is the same,  but I'm only on my first renewal
3. Our legislature has no original thoughts and models most new gun laws after NY and NJ. Probably because most ppl moving in are from there and are tainting the system
4. Of the people I interact with they don't generally disagree with my having a permit, in fact a few of them ask me for advice about them potentially owning and carrying.  I think the "why do you feel like you need one" attitude has generally changed over the last few years.  Long guns not so much.  Hopefully the gun laws are what deteriorates via scotus
5. It's getting worse, and I only decided to start carrying in late 2018. My first gun outside of the military took me I think 5 years to get,  but have owned them ever since

Generally I'm hopeful these laws will get struck down,  but this state has been getting bluer for decades and there's airways something for them to do that will be passed quickly and argued against for years.  The 2 lower counties hate New castle,  and I'm starting to hate delaware in general but only because of the government.  Unfortunately,  most people can't up-and-leave as quick as rules are made

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 06:30:44 PM »
Advise not to move to Delaware.  Obtaining a concealed carry license is one of the most difficult in the country. (of the states that will actually give you one)   They require affidavits from 5 county residents that have known you for at least a year.  That is not a big deal to natives of the state but probably means you won’t be able to carry for a year.  Also you need to put an ad in the paper and take training, fingerprints etc.  Cost will be about $400. 

DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 07:51:06 PM »
As a native of 80 years, I agree with them.  Go somewhere more Constitution friendly.  Delaware is getting worse, not better.  I have considered moving but am too old and most family is here.

Bill
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2022, 11:17:20 PM »
... Obtaining a concealed carry license is one of the most difficult in the country.

It's NOT difficult, just lots of hoops to jump through.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 02:16:09 PM »
If you are looking for warmer, you might consider North Carolina. They are also a shall issue state.

Nomad

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 03:06:24 PM »
Thanks, I suspected as much.

I have another general question. Six months after Bruen, NJ gun orgs and the big ranges are still pushing and selling classes for out-of-state permits, like UT and FL. Aside from one cheat sheet I have seen nothing from them on obtaining an actual, honest-to-God NJ resident CC permit. I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but it looks like NJ's gun laws as they stand are good for business if you catch my drift.

Is it the same in Delaware??

Oaklandopen

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 04:05:33 PM »
Not fully sure I understand.  Are you saying training courses have vamped up because of the bruin decision,  even though the likelyhood of successfully carrying is not happening?

If anything delaware was a state that immediately made it worse for certain gun purchasing and ownership,  not really for ccw

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2023, 04:26:25 PM »
Delaware requires about 12 hours training.  Live fire 100 rounds. Ad in newspaper, 5 affidavits,fingerprints, 2 photos and driving abstract if you have lived in Delaware less than 5 years and of course the fee for a three year license.   Renewal is much easier and it’s 5 years just the application and two photos. About $400 or so first time.  $65 for next and subsequent 5 year license

25 states now do not require a license to carry concealed and addional 6 or 7 allow open carry without a license ( like Delaware)

The affidavits and newspaper in Delaware are 110 year old laws.  The rest are more recent innovations.

Soon Delaware will require a permit to purchase at least a handgun.

Go someplace else if you have a choice.   The Carolinas or the Eastern Shore of   Virginia

DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2023, 04:37:07 PM »
Not fully sure I understand.  Are you saying training courses have vamped up because of the bruin decision,  even though the likelyhood of successfully carrying is not happening?

If anything delaware was a state that immediately made it worse for certain gun purchasing and ownership,  not really for ccw

Mark my words. The recent laws in Delaware will be struck down within the courts. The Democrats used the new laws to gain votes within their party for the past election. They see it as a Chess game and plan their moves as required.  The Republicans  don't seem to do this very well and need to up their game.
Full disclosure. I'm a right leaning Independent.  There are ~125000 registered  Independents in Delaware.  The Republican Party needs to wake up.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 04:45:13 PM by NormH3 »

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2023, 06:56:14 PM »
Delaware requires about 12 hours training. 

SOURCE PLEASE?

Delaware REQUIRES 1441 a-j.
https://delcode.delaware.gov/title11/c005/sc07/index.html#1441
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Oaklandopen

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2023, 07:19:31 PM »

SOURCE PLEASE?

i am not finding any specific time for required course, but these are what's required of the courses:

a. Instruction regarding knowledge and safe handling of firearms;

b. Instruction regarding safe storage of firearms and child safety;

c. Instruction regarding knowledge and safe handling of ammunition;

d. Instruction regarding safe storage of ammunition and child safety;

e. Instruction regarding safe firearms shooting fundamentals;

f. Live fire shooting exercises conducted on a range, including the expenditure of a minimum of 100 rounds of ammunition;

g. Identification of ways to develop and maintain firearm shooting skills;

h. Instruction regarding federal and state laws pertaining to the lawful purchase, ownership, transportation, use and possession of firearms;

i. Instruction regarding the laws of this State pertaining to the use of deadly force for self defense; and

j. Instruction regarding techniques for avoiding a criminal attack and how to manage a violent confrontation, including conflict resolution.

Mark my words. The recent laws in Delaware will be struck down within the courts. The Democrats used the new laws to gain votes within their party for the past election. They see it as a Chess game and plan their moves as required.  The Republicans  don't seem to do this very well and need to up their game.
Full disclosure. I'm a right leaning Independent.  There are ~125000 registered  Independents in Delaware.  The Republican Party needs to wake up.

i am very hopeful they will be struck down as well, but i don't think they were pandering for votes necessarily. the legislation took place and was signed for a while before any election material was really ramping up.

delaware has been comfortably blue in terms of it's legislative body since obama started. once you get into a solid status it's @@@@ difficult to get out. i don't know what dramatic event needs to occur to change the status, but it seems we are importing more leftist slime from other states. at this point, i doubt the state will drift to the right at all.

Oaklandopen

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2023, 07:20:21 PM »

SOURCE PLEASE?

sorry. didn't realize i was quoting you until after the fact

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2023, 08:35:45 PM »
yes, I was questioning the 12 hrs.