Author Topic: Trying to legalize marijuana... again  (Read 1679 times)

Oaklandopen

Trying to legalize marijuana... again
« on: February 03, 2023, 12:55:33 PM »
HB 2 headed to appropriations committee.  I'm sure it'll end up on carney's desk again,  but there may be a super majority to override his veto since he might just do it again.  Don't know why he's against it

I'm for it,  but there doesn't seem to be a provision for individuals to grow for their own consumption.  The synopsis says it wants to treat it much like alcohol,  but I know ppl who make their own alcohol with no issues.  Looks like the state wants their hand in all of it

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
Re: Trying to legalize marijuana... again
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 12:59:28 PM »
A large reason that there is a lot of pushback on fully legalizing marijuana is that the State is going to lose a significant revenue stream from the money that is seized in criminal marijuana cases.  In my experience, when police make an arrest for non-civil violation marijuana, they seize any cash that the defendant has and since they do such a bang up job of explaining the timeframe for contesting the forfeiture of property, the money is deemed forfeited by procedural default (i.e. property owner doesn't file Petition for Return of Seized Property within the 45 days of arrest as dictated by the Court's filing rules).

In any event, I know a lot of the folks that are behind this bill and they have been putting in a lot of effort on this front. 

Oaklandopen

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 03:14:32 PM »
That's interesting.  Makes sense though they want money from crime more than just reducing crime,  par for the course

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 03:21:37 PM »
So, i believe oil, cookies help pain, less known isues than our current meds,
 Some push back might also be there

Would be nice to see accual numbers from other states
On drug cost reduction

And police seizures
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Oaklandopen

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 05:01:18 PM »
Marijuana really does do better than any synthetic drugs when it comes to pain,  psychiatric issues,  and other accute medical issues.  There's really no need for it to still be against federal law.  States can do as they wish

As far as recreation the verdict is still kind of out on that one since states are kind of going one by one so the length of time needed for studies is all over the place

I do know someone on another site mentioned something about oklahoma legalizing recently. He said property purchases have gone through the roof stove ppl buy to grow.  Then they still end up selling to neighboring states illegal

But the whole drug war is a farce anyway

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 08:22:13 PM »
I could never understand how government thinks it has the authority to tell people they cannot consume a substance.  Especially a natural substance like marijuana.

I do not consume or smoke marijuana as i prefer to keep a level head at all times.  But that is MY choice for MY body.

If people go crazy on pot ( which I doubt) and commit actions that harm others or their property they should be held liable. Just like any other substance including alcohol. 

DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 08:25:32 PM »
I have a small 20 gallon basement electric brewery and winery. Don’t consume as much anymore but I’ve dialed in a few brewing recipes and two wines I age for 12 months that are just fantastic. I know several people and family in other states who grow their own cannabis specifically for the tinctures and resins. Visiting Oklahoma last year I woke with a massive migraine and my sister-in-law gave me some tincture she had made from cannabis they grew. I was honestly blown away by how quickly it knocked off the pain and stress the migraine was causing. It knocked the pain and stress down faster then any big pharma drug I’ve taken over the years which usually take at least an hour to start to kick in. The tincture kicked in within minutes. I didn’t ‘feel’ stoned either since it’s creation changes the thc.

I’ve never agreed that Cannabis should be listed as it is and illegal. I’d love to see it become legalized for both medical and recreational use with the ability to legally grow it as well.

I haven’t looked at the current bill. Is it just expanding the medical use side or does it legalize it for recreational use as well and allow for people to grow their own?

Oaklandopen

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 10:52:07 PM »
If it's anything like the last one it won't include personal growing,  which is the states way of getting their paws on everything since it's such an easy thing to do, but I haven't read it either

And this time it's veto proof so I think carney has another calender week to either sign it or it'll get passed anyway

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2023, 11:02:23 PM »
Look at the states that have OK'd MJ.  I doubt that the income they get is more than what it costs in crap human issues.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Oaklandopen

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2023, 10:05:53 AM »
The revenue these states are generating from weed are probably due to tourism from non weed friendly states.  Otherwise,  the people who have always lived in that state and done it illegally are probably looking at the state-sanctioned prices and continuing to pay less for black market. Everything the government touches gets worse and more expensive

And since the market is always there ppl are still going to get it from the bad guys if they don't or can't make it themselves.  And now there's a risk of it being laced with really bad stuff

If you are still not allowed to grow and consume on your own the "legalized" aspect is still moot.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2023, 01:24:34 AM »
Recreational weed is legal here in Arizona, including growing your own.
I've been here for two years, and I have yet to see any problems caused by it.

By the way, I've thoroughly tested the legal weed, and it's excellent.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Oaklandopen

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2023, 05:06:51 PM »
When I read the full law it to me it appears recreational growth is not illegal.  Just don't sell it

I'm not a lawyer though so don't use what I said as an excuse

slsharp

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2023, 05:49:36 PM »
The problem is of course as has been pointed out a million times, is that it's illegal on a federal level.  So, anything the States come up with is suspect.  Until that is resolved, there will be rancor.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2023, 07:51:41 PM »
IMHO, the money earned by taxation will not cover the damages cause by increased public use.  Many of the states that ok'd this are beginning to have regrets, at least from what I have read.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

slsharp

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2023, 12:06:47 PM »
My opinion is that the Fed and the State should keep their big fat nose out of it, because all they want to do is regulate and have control over you which I am 100% against.  The law they need to pass should be:  YOU are responsible for your actions, and as long as you don't affect others with your actions weed is not illegal.  simple as that.