Author Topic: Ruger Security 9 Compact  (Read 700 times)

Michaelindelaware

Ruger Security 9 Compact
« on: October 13, 2023, 01:26:19 PM »
I’m hoping someone has some experience with this pistol, I picked one up used at a great price, getting right to the point I had immediate concerns. Being used there was of course no warranty, however the weapon appeared barely used and well maintained. Upon getting it home, I put my brand of choice which is Hornady critical defense in, and had troubles right away just cycling it by hand, nose up jams. I took it to the range and had the same jam and failure to ejects. I took it home and gave it a very deep clean, polished the feed ramp, and paid special attention to the firing pin wall. Going back to the range I purchased three additional brands of ammo, two being self defense rounds. Long story short, it through everything like me at the Chinese buffet, except, you guessed it, the Hornady Critical Defense. I don’t know if it’s the rubber insert, the aggressive crimp, or the casing, but it’s simply unreliable in this weapon. It’s my first time encountering this in all my years. I do trust the pistol now, and as I said it functions well, very well actually. Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Just Bill

• Life Member
Re: Ruger Security 9 Compact
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 10:02:17 AM »
Some brands of defense ammo simply will not cycle in some guns.  I had a customer with 2 Rossi rifles, .357 and .44 mag.  When I got them neither would cycle hollow point.  I got the .44 to cycle anything, but the .357 would never do one brand, but did most.  The issue was mostly smooth and polish of poor machine workmanship.

Bill
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Michaelindelaware

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 11:27:43 AM »
Some brands of defense ammo simply will not cycle in some guns.  I had a customer with 2 Rossi rifles, .357 and .44 mag.  When I got them neither would cycle hollow point.  I got the .44 to cycle anything, but the .357 would never do one brand, but did most.  The issue was mostly smooth and polish of poor machine workmanship.

Bill

Awesome, thank you for taking the time.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2023, 10:28:57 PM »
Old guns were made by craftsmen, this crap coming out now shows little craftsmanship.  If it shoots once in a row, ship it.  I do a number of old guns, turn of the century 1890-1930.  Those were built by craftsmen.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith