Author Topic: Five Rules For Concealed Carry  (Read 15611 times)

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Five Rules For Concealed Carry
« on: February 20, 2009, 07:21:34 PM »
I do not know who wrote this but is makes sense.

Five Rules of Concealed Carry

We all should know the Four Rules of Firearms Safety. They should be ingrained in our bones. Recently I read of the Five Rules of Concealed Carry. It was a good start, but did not quite make the grade. I have borrowed heavily from them though, and present my own Rules of Concealed Carry here.

1. Your concealed handgun is for protection of life only.
Draw your concealed firearm solely in preparation to protect yourself or an innocent third party from the wrongful and life threatening criminal actions of another. A CCW license does not give you any greater rights or responsibilities than any other citizen. It merely provides you with the means of legally carrying a firearm to protect your own life or the lives of others.

2. Know exactly when you can use your gun.
A criminal adversary must have, or reasonably appear to have:

a. the ability to inflict serious bodily injury (he is armed, reasonably appears  to be armed with a deadly weapon, or a considerable disparity of force exists),

b. the opportunity to inflict serious bodily harm (he is physically positioned to harm you), and

c. his intent (hostile actions or words) indicates that he means to place you in jeopardy -- to do you serious or fatal physical harm.

When all three of these "attack potential" elements are in place simultaneously, then you are facing a reasonably perceived deadly threat that can justify an emergency deadly force response.

3. If you can run away -- RUN!
Just because you are armed does not necessarily mean you must confront a bad guy at gunpoint. Develop your "situation awareness" skills so you can be alert to detect and avoid trouble altogether. Keep in mind that if you successfully evade a potential confrontation, the single negative consequence involved might be your bruised ego, which should heal with mature rationalization. By contrast, if you force a confrontation you risk the possibility of you or a family member being killed or suffering lifelong crippling/disfiguring physical injury, criminal liability and/or financial ruin from a civil lawsuit. Flee if you can, fight only as a last resort.

4. Display your CCW, be prepared to go to jail.
You should expect to be arrested by police at gunpoint, and be charged with a crime anytime your concealed handgun is seen by another citizen in public, regardless of how unintentional, innocent or justified the situation might seem. Choose a method of carry that keeps your gun reliably hidden from public view at all times.

You have no control over how a stranger will react to seeing (or learning about) your concealed handgun. He or she might become alarmed and report you to police as a "man or woman with a gun."
Depending on his or her feelings about firearms, this person might be willing to maliciously embellish his or her story in an attempt to have your gun seized by police or to get you arrested. An alarmed citizen who reports a "man with a gun" is going to be more credible to police than you when you are stopped because you match the suspect's description, and you are found to have a concealed handgun in your possession. Under these circumstances, you have been accused, apprehended, and are in a defensive position. If you must draw your gun, make certain you are the first to notify police.

Before you deliberately expose your gun in public, ask yourself: "Is this worth going to jail for?" The only time this question should warrant a "yes" response is when an adversary has at least, both ability and intent, and is actively seeking the opportunity to do you great harm.

5. Don't let your emotions get the best of you.
Develop and practice self control. If, despite your best efforts to the contrary, you do get into some kind of heated dispute with another person while you are armed, never mention, imply or exhibit your gun for the purpose of intimidation or one-upmanship. You will simply make a bad situation worse -- for yourself. You can carry a gun, or you can have a temper. You may even do both for a while, but it will not last very long.

With the growing population of gun toters, it is imperative that we establish a few simple guidelines to help introduce others into the world of concealed carry. These five are the best I've found.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
Re: Five Rules For Concealed Carry
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 08:10:36 PM »
right on
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

GLOCK23

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 08:42:25 PM »
i didnt know if you have a ccw permit and it is exposed in public they can charge you..even if it is an accident..what if you have your shirt over it and someone can make out that u are carrying a gun what can the law do about that?

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 11:12:57 PM »
1. WRONG
Draw your weapon only when READY to shoot, not in preparation of anything. ALSO, it is for self-defense (including your family), if you see a third party in danger CALL THE POLICE. Your CCW DOES NOT MAKE YOU a police office.

4. WRONG
You should, must, make every effort to not expose your weapon, Delaware, still is legal to open carry. It is kind of hard to open carry and not let anybody see your weapon.

My rules are: Draw only when ready to shoot. Do not be a showoff because you are carrying a weapon. The weapon is to defend you, not to "make you look cool." You are not the police, if you see someone else (not you or your family) in danger, CALL THE POLICE.
Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice... Nothing beats your practice!

1. Your concealed handgun is for protection of life only.
Draw your concealed firearm solely in preparation to protect yourself or an innocent third party from the wrongful and life threatening criminal actions of another......

4. Display your CCW, be prepared to go to jail.
You should expect to be arrested by police at gunpoint, and be charged with a crime anytime your concealed handgun is seen by another citizen in public, regardless of how unintentional, innocent or justified the situation might seem. Choose a method of carry that keeps your gun reliably hidden from public view at all times......
So if you see a little old lady being assaulted by some dreg of society you just call the police and keep going? A lot of good that will do her in 5 minutes when they arrive. Obviously you don't pull a Clint Eastwood but if you are in position to help and while doing so need to draw your weapon I don't think there would be a problem.

I had heard that our CCW permits us to carry concealed and if the gun becomes visible we can be arrested. That if you choose to open carry you have to open carry not partially open carry. Maybe if there are any trainers out there they can let us know for sure.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 11:17:47 PM by GunEnvy »

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 12:01:26 AM »
1. WRONG
Draw your weapon only when READY to shoot, not in preparation of anything. ALSO, it is for self-defense (including your family), if you see a third party in danger CALL THE POLICE. Your CCW DOES NOT MAKE YOU a police office.
This is what the Delaware Code has to say on this.  This is not the statute in it's entirety.
§ 465. Same Use of force for the protection of other persons.
(a) The use of force upon or toward the person of another is justifiable to protect a third person when:
(1) The defendant would have been justified under § 464 of this title in using such force to protect the defendant against the injury the defendant believes to be threatened to the person whom the defendant seeks to protect; and
(2) Under the circumstances as the defendant believes them to be, the person whom the defendant seeks to protect would have been justified in using such protective force; and
(3) The defendant believes that intervention is necessary for the protection of the other person.
4. WRONG
You should, must, make every effort to not expose your weapon, Delaware, still is legal to open carry. It is kind of hard to open carry and not let anybody see your weapon.
What I believe the author what trying to convey is that it is not uncommon for a law abiding person legally carrying to be wrongly accused of brandishing a weapon.  You have to be ready to handle this if it were to occur.  If you are detained by the police do not freak out and become unruly in your claiming your innocence. There is no “brandishing” law in Delaware. However, anyone who shows or indicates that they have a firearm with the intent to intimidate or harm another person will be charged with various forms of assault, including Terroristic Threatening (Del. §621) or Menacing (Del. §602).  Some poeple will overreact when they see a firearm.

Of course, none of these rules are written in stone. I am glad to see that they are inspiring a lively debate.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 01:05:33 AM »
Hawkeye thanks for clearing up the brandishing law. I had heard that you could get arrested if it was seen but what you say makes sense. Who ever it was I heard it from was most likely refering to that.

G19 I was not saying that I would shoot somebody for beating their granny up with a baseball bat ( my granny used to give me $2 for xmas) But lets say you see that and you yell out some "get off her" yell that would be fitting the situation and the person then charges you swinging the bat. You have not acted like a cop all you have done is trying to help someone. Your only options are running if able, eating the bat or using your weapon.
Remember the old saying, Its better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 01:06:02 AM »
Glock23 to answer your question if someone sees your gun and calls the police no they can not arrest you, however the police will take all necessary precautions until its sorted out
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 01:38:50 PM »
Here is more on the "bandishing" topic. I have to give credit to the guys over at Delaware Open Carry for this info.  This cites case law on the topic.

Open carry of a firearm, absent threatening behavior or verbal threat, is not assault. An anonymous tip without corroboration of criminal behavior is not justification for a stop and frisk (Florida v. J.L., 529 U.S. 266 (2000). Detainment without reasonable articulable suspicion of criminal activity is illegal
(Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 1 (1968).

Sussex County

Taurus221

• NRA member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 10:30:23 PM »
According to the NRA, most of these types of lawsuits are thrown out, many more are won by the CCW holder. While I don't want to be put in that situation, I personally, would help. I feel it to be an obligation as a citizen. I believe too many people do not get involved due to fear of litigation.

This is what happens when no one gets involved. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuxGh5axb2k

Yesterday, the News Journal reported that ??? Yoon was sentenced to 30 years in prison for the attempted murder of a Houlihan's (sp?) waitress. Should her friend just watch while he stabs her repeatedly and waited for police? Of course not. More people should be getting involved. But to not get inbvolved, I believe that is just a preference.
I would.

Thanks.
I would rather have a NRA member in front of me than a Brady member behind me.