Author Topic: Starting process questions?  (Read 26860 times)

moongoose26

Starting process questions?
« on: January 28, 2010, 10:11:58 PM »
Well I went down to the prothenatorys office this afternoon and got the paperwork. Seems pretty straight foward. I got the references part and personal information parts done. I want to put down the reason as for the protection of my family , self and property as the reason but it says to be specific and it says the samething on the next page. Should i put down a different reason, i.e. I travel to other states with recipriocity for work and also drive my wife who is a nursing home manager at odd hours of the night to work in Dover on occasions?  My reasons are pretty much these but I want to make sure Iam wording it correctly in a way.

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: Starting process questions?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 10:29:40 PM »
Hi Mongoose,

You'll get various answers from everyone here as to what they put down for their reason.  Mine was because I collect multiple cash rents as a landlord.  I know others here have put down a simple, "to protect my property, person or both" and have gotten their permit.  When I was applying for my permit this question gave me the sweats just wondering if they were going to accept my reason! LOL 

My two cents is to put down what you stated, but I'd leave the whole "other states with reciprocity" out as well as the word "Dover".  Maybe something like "low income areas, run down areas, etc" could replace the city name.  These are just my suggestions.  Others will probably respond with their thoughts as well. 

Good luck!  Let us know how you make out.  Be sure to read other threads on the site here too.  There's a long wait apparently for new apps, you need to follow the time frame of the application stuff (like fingerprints, newspaper, etc). 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 01:32:15 AM »
You might consider taking the training before you apply: the instructor will have useful suggestions about the application process. Handing in the training certificate with your application also seems to speed things up.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 06:19:57 PM »
I am also concerned about what to put down for my "reason" I was hoping something like "personal protection" was good enough. What are my chances using just that foromy reason?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

moongoose26

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 05:09:35 PM »
It has been a while since I posted this but I have finally started the process went with my wife and took the class this weekend and learned a few things. I will be putting the ad in the guide and getting the fingerprints in the coming week or so and see what happens. I am still leery on the reasons subject and trying to figure out how to word it. I do pick up payments for my work and trael throughout DE doing sales also as well as drive my wife at different hours of the day and night through high crime areas. We shall see what happens.

SCUBA9097

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 05:17:59 PM »
I never recommend putting specifics into the reasoning. Just write something similar to "for the protection of self and others when not in the presence of a uniformed law enforcement officer"
Ted Pfirrmann
Owner, Omega Firearms Training
NRA Certified Instructor
Type 1 FFL

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 06:50:54 PM »
For the protection of self, family and property.  - that's it.

I was told by many people not to use this but to explain exactly what you wanted it for. Talked to an assistant DA who lives down the street from me and a judge the street over who both stated to simply use the above. The wife and I took our course prior to sending in our applications and the instructors both stated the same, to use the above and nothing else. So that's what we did and we both have our permits now.

If you get specific they can add limits to your permit where you can only use it for stated purpose and times.

Btw.. Another vote to take the course before applying. Have a fun wait ;)

moongoose26

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 06:59:33 PM »
Thanks for the info guys we took the course already just to get it out of the way and I already filled the app(except the reason part which I will do today) and getting all my ducks in a row. I want to have it submitted in the next couple of weeks

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 07:12:15 PM »
And I'll give you an "other" view.....

I put in that block: "See attached"

Then I included on a separate sheet of paper my name (in case it gets lost - or paper work dropped)
and SEVERAL reasons (DAY AND NIGHT) why I wanted my ccdw.  The reason for day and night reasons,
so you dont get a RESTRICTED ccdw.  I think I listed 8 reasons.

IE: ATM machine at night. Whatever during the day.  etc.

There was more than just that (4 words).  But it gives you an idea.

Whoever you took the course from would (SHOULD) be a good person to ask.
We cover it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:15:13 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 10:39:13 PM »
I think Adrenolin is right. It is what the Constitution (US and Delaware) allows. The main thing they will go on is the criminal background check and references. If you are good there, there is no reason to turn you down.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

moongoose26

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 03:56:07 PM »
Placed the ad for my wife and myself going to try to get fingerprinted next week

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 08:47:50 PM »
Ours took months to get.. 8 iirc, I'm not a citizen but a permanent resident from Canada, don't have an employer, had only lived in DE for 1 year, etc.. You know the things they might question. Legally I'll pass any and all background and security checks locally, federally and international (yes it does exist). While I wasn't surprised we got our permits, I was surprised that none of our References had been contacted. Two couples and our mid-20s babysitter are who we used as references. We did have to submit an extract from NJ DMV and the FBI agent who called us about this was polite. I was told after-the-fact that the majority of our wait was tied to waiting on Immigration getting back to the Feds which didn't surprise me at all.

Using "For the protection of self, family and property" is pretty much the reason given in the Delaware code for obtaining a CCDW permit. Being denied for giving this as a reason would be pretty darn slim and would more then likely be turned over at a hearing if it was. This is exactly the reason you want a permit.

Anyways.. Enjoy the process :)

rchmol5

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 12:22:27 AM »
When you take your pistol course which is required in DE, your instructor if he really cares about what he's doing will give you in his opinion what are the best "Reason" answers, seems like you got the most obvious I can add like one person said, Protection of monetary assets is a big one.
I personally think the contact of refrences is random I think, like im sure they look them over and if anything catches an eye im sure they'll investigate further,

Good Luck.

moongoose26

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 01:27:10 PM »
Well after many delays due to work schedule I will be walking in today to drop off my application hopefully it is quick and painless

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 07:26:25 PM »
Good luck and hope it goes well. We were going to drop off our applications in person and that day I awoke with a migraine. Only time in my life I was thankful of a migraine! It was the same day and time that we'd have been there that a gunman opened fire in the lobby. We mailed our applications in the next day.