Author Topic: Help a Veteran with some definite answers...?  (Read 9523 times)

Vet302

Help a Veteran with some definite answers...?
« on: February 15, 2010, 03:54:51 AM »
Hello All, New member here...Glad to be part of the forum!

I've been tossing around the idea of carrying a concealed weapon since OIF and its time to get the ball rolling.  I have a question that I haven't been able to solve on the specific "Delaware" level and I was hoping I could get some strong 'tried and true' responses on it.  This is mainly directed towards prior military folks.

Prior deployed military, Is the gun safety course required in Delaware? If no, will a DD214 suffice? FYI, My ETS was 03/2005.

Also, if the DSP already has my fingerprints on record because of an employment check, is it required to repeat this?

Check my research?  Is this the correct and most efficient way of pursueing the license:

1. Publication of Intent (At Least 10 Days Prior..Does not expire)
2. References
3. Photographs (Recent, approx. 6 mos or newer)
4. Fingerprints (Again?, why within 30?)
5. Filing
6. Course (DD214?)

Of course the time line of events I can more thoroughly search upon.  My main question here involves the course.  Mostly looking for a Experienced Person to chime in on that subject.

Thanks In Advance!

Glock 23

boarder2280

Re: Help a Veteran with some definite answers...?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 06:16:39 AM »
Sorry Vet,
But your DD214 will not suffice in Delaware (It is good for Florida).  Delaware takes only approved courses and not subsititutes.  I have to occaisionally carry concealed in my military job and have a military permit to do so... still no good to Delaware.  I've heard good things about the classes at Shooters Choice, as well as some of the private guys that are licensed to do these classes.  The rest of the process is better detailed by someone who has a Del license, and that isn't me, but good luck to you!

Any other questions (particularly on Florida CCW), let me know!

Cheers -

Boarder
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 07:05:19 PM by boarder2280 »
M9 - Expert
M16 - Expert
Florida CCW

Hank

Re: Help a Veteran with some definite answers...?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 12:46:23 PM »
Hi Vet302 & Boarder2280.
I think I out date you guys a little, I was In the U.S.M.C. Force Recon In the early 50s, and back then It was just Recon, In the FMF. I had my fare share of weapons training, but I'm not here to beat my chest, I got over that a long time ago. I'm not saying that anyone else Is doing so!!!
I had a CCW for 10 years when we lived In PA. And PA. Is a must Issue state, unlike DE. And no training was needed or required, My wife got her CCW and she had no weapons training at all. She was also never In the service.

I sat for my 9 hours of classroom work and fired my 100 rounds on the range just like the other 29 In my class at that time!!! I learned something at that time, I have never stopped learning In my 70+ years, and I hope that I will always do so??? If and when I stop, I guess that will be the time for me to hang up my spers, so to speak. I also lived In New York and New Jersey, so this Is not so bad. Just think If Obama had his way, we would not be talking about this now or ever, He would like a one world order with the U.N. In charge, so It's not over yet??? Just why do you think that there Is a back log In the first place and a ammo shortage??? Everyone Is running scared.

In God we trust, all others pay cash.
Semper Fi all. Hank.