Author Topic: Training before applying  (Read 4422 times)

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Training before applying
« on: February 24, 2010, 02:43:54 AM »
When I was preparing my application for my first CCDW permit in 2005, I went ahead and took an approved training course.

I brought my paperwork, sorted out but unstapled, to the Prothonotary's office. I don't remember who accepted it, but she looked through the papers and said, "You already GOT the training?" Then, she stacked the papers in order: application on top, course certificate directly underneath it, other papers below that. She said that the judges like to see the training has already been completed before the application is filed, even though it is not required.
With the training done before applying, the permit is completed and mailed as soon as the judges approve it.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: Training before applying
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 03:06:52 AM »
Yup.  Otherwise they send you a letter in the mail that says, go take your training. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 01:13:35 PM »
Yup, and that "training letter" states you have 90 days from the date of the letter to turn in your certificate.  Otherwise the application will automatically be DENIED.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 01:44:22 PM »
My 2005 timeline, which I've been reconstructing this morning from old paper files, QuickBooks, MS Money, and five years worth of files on several PCs and a server:

• I did the classroom portion of my training on May 5th.
  • My ad ran in the News-Journal on May 10th.
  • I completed the range portion of the training, and received the certificate, May 11th.
  • I was fingerprinted May 17th down here at Troop 2.
  • I submitted my application Monday May 22nd at 8:30 AM sharp.
  • The DoJ sent the background check results, or lack thereof, to the court on June 22nd.
  • The permit came in the mail about 65 days after I applied.

I'm still searching everywhere for the exact date the permit arrived... sorry!
(I know it was before September 1st, because I scanned it at 6:45 AM September 2nd 2005 for my PA LTCF application...)

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 02:32:31 PM »
I'm not sure exactly when it changed, but previously you had to take the course and turn in all your documentation (including proof of sucessfully completing a training course) and then when people started getting denied, they changed the requirement so people didnt have to pay up front for a class they may (potentially) not need. 

Old Gray, do you have that info on when it changed in all your old stuff? 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 10:36:30 AM »
Old Gray, do you have that info on when it changed in all your old stuff? 
Moosie
No. I started the application process in early 2005, when the instructions already said to take the training after approval.

I was advised to get the training first because the instructor would provide valuable information about completing the paperwork, especially the "reasons for carrying" part.
He did.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 01:11:27 AM »
Update on the list below:
I found an Email I sent 25 July 2005, indicating that I had received my CCDW permit in that day's mail.
The initial application process took two months from submitting the application to receiving the permit.   :)

My 2005 timeline, which I've been reconstructing this morning from old paper files, QuickBooks, MS Money, and five years worth of files on several PCs and a server:

• I did the classroom portion of my training on May 5th.
  • My ad ran in the News-Journal on May 10th.
  • I completed the range portion of the training, and received the certificate, May 11th.
  • I was fingerprinted May 17th down here at Troop 2.
  • I submitted my application Monday May 22nd at 8:30 AM sharp.
  • The DoJ sent the background check results, or lack thereof, to the court on June 22nd.
  • The permit came in the mail about 65 days after I applied.

I'm still searching everywhere for the exact date the permit arrived... sorry!
(I know it was before September 1st, because I scanned it at 6:45 AM September 2nd 2005 for my PA LTCF application...)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 02:07:20 AM by oldgraygeek »