Author Topic: one hell of a "flying with firearms" story  (Read 8951 times)

deviant.ollam

one hell of a "flying with firearms" story
« on: March 09, 2010, 06:05:21 PM »
mods, if this merits inclusion in a more "general" area (as opposed to the news forum) please feel to move the thread.  i don't know to what degree one has to be a journalist to reach the threshold of this forum's definition of "news" but i'll take a stab at things here.   ;D

in the past, we have discussed the "Flying with Firearms" research that i have done and the lectures i have given on the topic.  people have commented how that section of my web site (http://deviating.net/firearms/packing) has been a useful resource.  some people here have even submitted air travel accounts, i believe.

well... on a recent trip to and from San Francisco i encountered more gun-phobia than i could have ever expected.  i'll let anyone who is interested view the whole write-up (if you've got a spare 10 minutes or so to scroll on through it) but suffice it to say:

1. there was abysmal failure on the part of the airline, the TSA, and a whole host of other players

2. the luggage policies at part of SFO airport are insane and insecure

3. i was at one point surrounded by four armed, uniformed police officers

4. i wound up missing flights, missing a free first class upgrade, and generally getting screwed

5. this seems to have happened because i was "asking suspicious questions" such as "ah, thank you for your help. what is your name, sir?"

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 06:09:02 PM by deviant.ollam »