Author Topic: Why is there so little interest for Delaware folks in obtaining a Utah permit?  (Read 15142 times)

ProShooter

• www.ProactiveShooters.com
    • Proactive Shooters - Firearms Safety Training & Instruction
We are looking to conduct classes in Delaware for the Utah non resident concealed carry permit. By my math, A Delaware resident would get 10 more states that they could carry in by obtaining this permit yet when we've posted info on it, there seems to be very little interest.....

why is that?

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Utah Concealed Firearms Certified Instructor
SABRE Pepper Spray CSAP Instructor
12 year veteran - former LE

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
I have a DE CCDW and a PA non-resident LTCF... the 5 states that a Utah permit adds are states I'm unlikely to ever visit.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 01:00:54 PM by oldgraygeek »
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
The two states that I want, jersey and maryland, wouldn't be added with utah. I take most of my vacations at my beach place so I don't do a lot of traveling. I'd rather have the $150 in my wallet than another carry permit.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

ProShooter

ok, those answers make sense. Thank you for the replies.

Hopefully we see some interest in this permit class, as we sometimes do get some Delaware folks down to Va to take the class. We'd love to come up and do a large group class.

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim

Moosie

• Life Member
Pro, not to sound like a smart @@@, but tell us why we should be interested in it. 

I have my DE permit and PA non-resident permit.  Like Old Gray said, the two states I really want are MD and NJ... both of which I'll get after hell freezes over.  Beyond that, I vacation in Las Vegas and I simply dont carry when I fly out there. 

Help us understand the bigger picture and you might get more interest! :)

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
There is a LOCAL guy who is offering it.  And it is a ONE stop and you're done (photos & finger printing, etc) ready to mail.

Not sure if anyone is interested in adding to the baseball card collection.
New application is $65.25 to BCI UT good for 5 years.
Renewal is $10.00 good for 5 years.

Code: [Select]
May 8th , Saturday State of Utah conceal carry permit training

Hosted by the Delaware State Pistol Club

With your De or Pa concealed carry permit and add Utah and you’re now legal in approx. 36 states.

Class limited to 25, $125.00 includes lunch. Registration begins at 8:15am.  All materials included. Notarized Utah application, Passport Photo and finger print card included upon successful completion. Prerequisites are as follows must have taken any NRA shooting course or hold a De or Pa state conceal carry permit or active member of any rifle or pistol club. Pre-course assessments available if needed. Call  (302-528-5940) or e-mail me at ameritas@msn.com for further information.

Email me with your information to register for the class

First Name:
Middle Name:
Last Name:
Date of Birth:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip:
Phone:
Email:
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

ProShooter

Pro, not to sound like a smart @@@, but tell us why we should be interested in it. 

I have my DE permit and PA non-resident permit.  Like Old Gray said, the two states I really want are MD and NJ... both of which I'll get after hell freezes over.  Beyond that, I vacation in Las Vegas and I simply dont carry when I fly out there. 

Help us understand the bigger picture and you might get more interest! :)

Moosie

Moosie - good question.

Utah will give you more states than just the De/Pa combo, if my reading of the map is correct - Washington State, Nebraska, Minnesota, Alabama and Mississippi.

Once you get the Utah permit, the renewal fees are $10 after 5 years.

One of the things that I like is that Utah is very proactive about forming agreements with other states, so I expect that Utah will gain more states in the near future.

That's just a couple of the pluses in my mind.

ProShooter

There is a LOCAL guy who is offering it.  And it is a ONE stop and you're done (photos & finger printing, etc) ready to mail.

Not sure if anyone is interested in adding to the baseball card collection.
New application is $65.25 to BCI UT good for 5 years.
Renewal is $10.00 good for 5 years.

I'm not sure why your emphasis on LOCAL is necessary. I don't see how much that matters that we do a traveling class. I teach all over Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island and have never had a complaint. I just thought it would be nice to offer a class in Delaware since it is so close. I'm also not sure what you mean by baseball card collection either, but anyway...

Not to demean any other instructor at all, but our cost is $85. That is $40 cheaper than the class you mentioned. So someone would be paying $40 more for a $5 set of fingerprints, a $10 photo and a $5-7 lunch. If that is ok with you, then there's no problem. We try to keep our class inexpensive and cost effective. No harm, no foul. No complaints here about what anyone else charges or can get in that market. We're just trying to offer a highly desired course at a fair price.

glock9

i have de,pa and FL. with FL all you need is your de class papers and a check for $119.  good for 7 years. its the same as utha -1 state  i believe. i month turn around time. not bad

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Utah will give you more states than just the De/Pa combo, if my reading of the map is correct - Washington State, Nebraska, Minnesota, Alabama and Mississippi.

Let's look at the map. (As indicated, I AM NOT A LAWYER, YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY)...

I have a common name that is on the DoNotFly list. Air travel is a huge hassle for me without trying to check a firearm in my baggage, so I don't fly much; when I do, I am unarmed. My carry permits are primarily for road trips.
I drove to visit my ailing father in Oklahoma twice last year. The only "red" state on that route is Illinois, and no permit will ever help with that state. (I take 896 up into PA to avoid entering Maryland).

If we decide to visit sunny Florida, the only red states on the route are South Carolina and Maryland. Again, the Utah permit doesn't help.

The bottom line for me is that any additional permit doesn't help me much. Again, your mileage may vary.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Careful...896 is in MD for about 300 yards...right around little egypt rd...

I know. I often loop around that spot by taking Hopkins Bridge Road, coming back on Chambers Rock Road.

trevor

Depends on whether they have extradition agreements with DE and PA!

:D

Hank

Hi all.
I have my DE. FL. & PA. In that order, I think I have enough wall paper, I just hope I can keep track of the ones I have now!!! Semper Fi all. Hank.

In God we trust, all others pay cash!