Author Topic: A shotgun for home defence  (Read 13204 times)

deviant.ollam

Re: A shotgun for home defence
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 03:24:39 PM »
are pistal grip shot guns legal in delaware, like the mossberg 500?
i do not know if there are any loony local laws preventing it, but as far as NFA* status is concerned, DE is a state that allows short rifles, but not short shotguns... hence, you'd simply have to ensure that even with a pistol grip the overall size of your shotgun is 26" and the barrel is at least 18" to be legal under federal standard (since DE makes no provision for anything shorter, even with the $200 and proper paperwork)

bear in mind... both the 18" and the 26" are measured from a line as drawn directly down the bore of the barrel, not at any diagonal.  (i almost cut things a little close when i chopped down an old double-barrel hammer gun... but thanks to "measure twice, cut once" i am still legal there, with about a half inch to spare for both dimensions.)

the only thing you sometimes have to worry about with pistol grip shotguns is some states classify them (or try to erroneously classify them, i should say) as "handguns" and if said state also has whacky handgun registration laws, then it can cause issues.

from what i know thus far, Delaware employs neither strange policy.

does anyone know who carries them?
i ordered mine from a Delta catalog... http://deltaforce.com, but they don't seem to carry that item at present anymore.  Thankfully, Mr. Google points us in the right direction, as always...

http://www.google.com/products?q=mossberg%20pistol%20grip

* National Firearms Act - laws concerning short-length long guns, full auto, suppressors, and other destructive devices are set at the Federal level but are enforced by the states to varying degrees of restriction.  Delaware allows short-barreled rifles, but little else (no full auto, no suppressors, and no super-shorty shotguns... defined as "smooth bore other weapons")

norwood

Re: A shotgun for home defence
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 08:37:04 PM »
great info, Thanks.

Jon