Author Topic: In the news....CCW holder commits crime  (Read 13274 times)

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
In the news....CCW holder commits crime
« on: April 10, 2010, 08:59:51 PM »
From yesterdays Philly news. They said this guy had a carry permit.

Suspect Arrested In Route 422 Road Rage Shooting

A suspect has been charged in connection with the apparent road rage shooting of a female driver during the morning commute on Route 422 Friday.

John Andrew Yannarell is facing attempted murder and other charges after police say he opened fire on another motorist in Upper Providence.

At about 7:15 a.m., an unidentified woman was shot and wounded while in traffic in the eastbound lanes of Route 422 near the Oaks interchange.

The victim, who was shot in the elbow and right thigh, was flown via medical helicopter to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania with non-life-threatening injuries. She was treated and released.

Authorities say the woman told them she did nothing to prompt the shooting. The victim says she felt a "bump" and thought her car had been struck, so she pulled over to call police. And that is when she noticed she had been shot and was bleeding.

"It was an unremarkable incident up until that point, something we hear about everyday on the highway," said Sgt. Andrew Skelton of Skippack Township Police. "There was no impact, no accident. She observed the vehicle driving erratically and she felt a vibration on her car, which was later determined to be a gunshot."

Following the shooting, investigators say Yannarell fled the scene, parked at a train station and went to work.

Several hours after the shooting, Yannarell was arrested after surrendering at his attorney's office in Norristown.

"He will be charged with Aggravated Assault, Reckless Endangering and Attempted Homicide," said Pennsylvania State Trooper Denea Durham.

Yannarell's attorney told Eyewitness News that the gun allegedly used in the shooting was legal and his client had a permit to carry the weapon.

Yannarell is being held at the Montgomery County Correctional Facility in lieu of $500,000 bail. His next court hearing is scheduled for April 13.
New Castle County

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Re: In the news....CCW holder commits crime
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 10:31:43 PM »
 >:( This is the kind of genius that gives the rest of us a bad name. >:(
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 12:14:54 AM »
This guy, IMHO, demonstrates that training requirements make sense: can you imagine someone that brilliant successfully completing the Delaware CCDW permit process?
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 03:20:37 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that the fact he had a permit was publicized, BUT.... does anyone know what the application process is for a resident PA permit??  Just wondering how well they check the character of the folks they're issuing permits to. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 11:13:38 AM »
[...]does anyone know what the application process is for a resident PA permit??  Just wondering how well they check the character of the folks they're issuing permits to. 

Moosie

They don't check character at all. They take a copy of your driver's license (and your existing carry permit, if you're a non-resident), cash your check, and issue the permit if a brief criminal background check comes up clean. My PA LTCF from Centre County took one week to obtain... including mail both ways. This is why Delaware will NEVER establish reciprocity with Pennsylvania.

As much of a pain and expense as the Delaware process is -- my wife's permit will cost us about $700 altogether -- it has its benefits.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 12:17:56 PM »
What makes this newsworthy is the rarity in which a CCW holder commits a crime with a hand gun. I wold be interested in finding out what the percentage of gun crimes are committed by CCW holders. I am betting that it would be incredibly low.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 11:59:43 PM »
Hawkeye from everything I have read it is a very small percentage. It just burns me up that this guy did a very brilliant thing knowing the consequences.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 12:24:12 PM »
[...]does anyone know what the application process is for a resident PA permit??  Just wondering how well they check the character of the folks they're issuing permits to. 

Moosie

They don't check character at all. They take a copy of your driver's license (and your existing carry permit, if you're a non-resident), cash your check, and issue the permit if a brief criminal background check comes up clean. My PA LTCF from Centre County took one week to obtain... including mail both ways. This is why Delaware will NEVER establish reciprocity with Pennsylvania.

As much of a pain and expense as the Delaware process is -- my wife's permit will cost us about $700 altogether -- it has its benefits.

Yeah, I have my PA permit, I'm wondering what they do for RESIDENT applications...

:)  Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Yannarell killed himself
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 12:10:08 PM »
Yannarell committed suicide after being charged in two more road rage cases.
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/20100423_Suspect_in_Rte__422_shooting_found_dead.html

One of those rare cases when a CCW permit holder commits a crime... now, it turns out that he had major anger issues.
Maybe something like the Delaware permit process would have weeded him out?

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 02:16:26 PM »
Let's be real, the process wouldn't have done a thing. The judge that signs off on us dosent know us fronm Adam, and I doubt any of us chose a buddy as a reference that would say "oh yeh, he always gets in fights" hell mine weren't even called! This is just a case of somebody going over the edge, makes no difference that he had a ccw.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Grebnehtor

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 05:21:55 PM »
Let's be real, the process wouldn't have done a thing. The judge that signs off on us dosent know us fronm Adam, and I doubt any of us chose a buddy as a reference that would say "oh yeh, he always gets in fights" hell mine weren't even called! This is just a case of somebody going over the edge, makes no difference that he had a ccw.

I'm inclined to agree.  However if he had a documented history of road rage prior, DE may have not issued a permit.

I hate to say it, but good riddance. He can't hurt anyone anymore. 

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 06:27:57 PM »

Couldn't have said it better myself. 

Moosie