Author Topic: Florida CCW valid in DE?  (Read 11435 times)

Dmax221

Florida CCW valid in DE?
« on: April 21, 2010, 05:28:28 PM »
I'm sure this subject has been gone through a few times... But i have searched and still found no real definite answer. The FLA CCW is SO much easier/quicker to get. But if i do not have Delawares CCW permit does this make it illegal for me to carry in Delaware. I have done some research and i even know people that have done this and are currently carrying daily with just a FLA permit... Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks, Kyle

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Re: Florida CCW valid in DE?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 06:20:17 PM »
If you are a DE Resident you MUST have a DE Permit. A FL Non-resident permit is not considered a valid permit for a DE Resident. From the AG's office...

"Pursuant to 11 Del.C. ' 1441(j), as of July 11, 2003, Delaware law allows residents of other states who have been issued a concealed deadly weapon license or permit by certain other states to lawfully carry concealed deadly weapons in Delaware if the state that issued the permit or license also recognizes Delaware's concealed deadly weapons licenses, and if Delaware's Attorney General also determines that the concealed deadly weapons licensing or permit laws in the issuing state "afford a reasonably similar degree of protection as is provided by licensure in Delaware." The Attorney General has determined that only states that require proof of training in firearms safety as a part of their licensing or permit process can meet this requirement.
The Attorney General is in the process of securing agreements with the appropriate officials in certain other states which when completed, permit persons who have a concealed deadly weapon license or permit issued by one of those states to lawfully possess a concealed deadly weapon while visiting or traveling through Delaware. Similarly, Delawareans will be able to possess a concealed deadly weapon while visiting or traveling through those states. However, as of today Delaware does not recognize the concealed deadly weapon licenses or permits issued by states other than those listed below, and these states do not recognize Delaware's concealed deadly weapons licenses as valid."
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 06:28:30 PM by Sigarms12 »
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 12:06:47 AM »
Yup,

what Sig said.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

ezliving

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 10:17:11 PM »
Is there a legal pathway for a DE business owner who is a MD resident (with a FL non-resident CCW permit) to be granted a DE CCW permit before moving from MD to DE?

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 10:40:59 PM »
NO, not that i'm aware of.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 11:38:37 PM »
Nope.  To get a delaware permit, you must be a resident of DE. 

BUT...  if you're just "passing through" DE and have a FL permit, I believe that your FL permit would be honored.  Keep in mind, having such a permit is not designed to allow you to stay in DE and circumvent the DE process.  It is designed to allow those passing through the state to carry. 

Moosie.
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 10:37:18 AM »
Is there a legal pathway for a DE business owner who is a MD resident (with a FL non-resident CCW permit) to be granted a DE CCW permit before moving from MD to DE?

I don't think there is a legitimate way to do this.
To get a DE permit, said business owner would need a Delaware address and driver's license. The day the DL is issued, his/her Florida CCW becomes invalid in Delaware. (S)he would need to apply for the CCDW and wait through the application period.
Owning a business in DE should make it easier to come up with five references for the questionnaires, though.

As to the OP's questions:
...if i do not have Delawares CCW permit does this make it illegal for me to carry in Delaware.
Yes, it's a felony.
§ 1442. Carrying a concealed deadly weapon; class G felony; class E felony.
A person is guilty of carrying a concealed deadly weapon when the person carries concealed a deadly weapon upon or about the person without a license to do so as provided by § 1441 of this title.
Carrying a concealed deadly weapon is a class G felony, unless the accused has been convicted within the previous 5 years of the same offense, in which case it is a class E felony.

http://delcode.delaware.gov/title11/c005/sc07/index.shtml#1442

Carrying with a FL permit and a Delaware address is a felony, just like carrying a concealed weapon without any permit at all. Go directly to jail, do not collect $200.

I have done some research and i even know people that have done this and are currently carrying daily with just a FLA permit.

You shouldn't hang around with felons.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon