Author Topic: A good entry level 1911  (Read 457 times)

sprue

A good entry level 1911
« on: January 06, 2024, 05:50:06 AM »
For my birthday I  decided to join the double stacked 1911 gang. Springfield seems to have corrected all the initial issues with the Prodigy. It's biggest shortcoming is the badly fitted ambi safety.  It was fixable but I still decided that I will eventually be replacing all the internal mim parts with egw and wilson components.
If polishing slides and tuning springs while you watch TV sounds like a fun evening I highly recommend getting one. It did very well at the range. It shot 124gr and hollow points without any issues and had one light primer strike on cheap sinter ammo

Oaklandopen

Re: A good entry level 1911
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 10:56:16 AM »
i'd love a 1911, but honestly they scare me a little when it comes to disassembly, which is one of my favorite things to do aside from the actual shooting

Just Bill

• Life Member
Re: A good entry level 1911
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 04:51:19 PM »
As a gunsmith, I would say 1911's are very easy to work on, compared with many newer striker type plastic guns.  And are easier to get good long-range results which are practically impossible with others.  Many of my bulleseye groups use 1911's at 25 yds with surprising results. 

Bill
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith