Author Topic: Where did you go for your CCW Class?  (Read 32847 times)

Spartacus

Where did you go for your CCW Class?
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:17:56 PM »
I went to Tod's guns out of Laurel, DE.  Anyone else go through him?

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: Where did you go for your CCW Class?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 12:26:19 AM »
We got ours through the DSPC.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Hank

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 01:08:48 PM »
Hi all.
I took my CCDW classes at J.D. Defense, on Rt.9 In Georgetown.
Semper Fi all. Hank.

" In God we trust, all others pay cash "

Ravensfootball56

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 04:52:29 AM »
I went to Tod's guns out of Laurel, DE.  Anyone else go through him?

I wouldn't go to tod's Gun's ever again if he was giving away free guns...Long story short....His guns are not 25 dollars over dealer price like he advertises.  For example, I actually bought a Taurus PT 24/7 Pro 40 cal. from him for $430...Looked the next day and Gander Mountain has the same gun for sale for $429.99...I know with tax it would have been more but still its the base price im looking at here....Then when I found it cheaper on the net I printed out proof and Tod's website said they will beat and competitors price...Well Tod certainlt did not as a matter of fact all he could do was look at me and say "man they must buy them things by the truck load to sell them for that price" I know I would of had to pay for shipping and transfers but it still would have been cheaper... He's a crook...I finally ended my search at Branchy's gun shop in Laurel....Small Private owned shop with large on hand stock quantites.  Good ole' country sussex countain behind the counter who can tell you ANYthing you need to know and some things you dont want to know...I'd rather spend the money here than with some genius like Tod....Needless to Say I returned the gun to Tod, and Ill spend and extra 75 dollars to take the CCW class elsewhere as long as I dont have to deal with that @@@ ever again.  I'd pay 200 Extra dollars just to not go there and not complain once about it.... Further more this guy showed me how much Tod paid from his dealer book and its certainly a RIP OFF....
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:57:07 AM by Ravensfootball56 »
BS

g23

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 05:31:17 PM »
I took mine with Rob Miller From Red Hour Tactical. It was a great class. He took as much time that was needed to answer any questions I had too. He is a great guy and I would suggest that anyone looking to take a class in northern DE give him a call. If you need his # just shoot me a pm

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 06:04:30 PM »
I took mine under Carl Pace (Trin Tac) and had a pleasant experience.  Very knowledgeable, straight forward without a lot of fluff, etc.  They removed a lady from the class who clearly had no business carrying a gun concealed or not and did help her get settled just shooting the gun of her choice. 

I'd recommend Carl / Trin Tac to anyone who already has good basic understanding of shooting. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

ant4

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 12:36:25 PM »
I took mine under Carl Pace (Trin Tac) and had a pleasant experience.  Very knowledgeable, straight forward without a lot of fluff, etc.  They removed a lady from the class who clearly had no business carrying a gun concealed or not and did help her get settled just shooting the gun of her choice. 

I'd recommend Carl / Trin Tac to anyone who already has good basic understanding of shooting. 

Moosie

+1 for Carl and Trin Tac

Spartacus

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 08:30:03 PM »

I wouldn't go to tod's Gun's ever again if he was giving away free guns...Long story short....His guns are not 25 dollars over dealer price like he advertises.  For example, I actually bought a Taurus PT 24/7 Pro 40 cal. from him for $430...Looked the next day and Gander Mountain has the same gun for sale for $429.99...I know with tax it would have been more but still its the base price im looking at here....Then when I found it cheaper on the net I printed out proof and Tod's website said they will beat and competitors price...Well Tod certainlt did not as a matter of fact all he could do was look at me and say "man they must buy them things by the truck load to sell them for that price" I know I would of had to pay for shipping and transfers but it still would have been cheaper... He's a crook...I finally ended my search at Branchy's gun shop in Laurel....Small Private owned shop with large on hand stock quantites.  Good ole' country sussex countain behind the counter who can tell you ANYthing you need to know and some things you dont want to know...I'd rather spend the money here than with some genius like Tod....Needless to Say I returned the gun to Tod, and Ill spend and extra 75 dollars to take the CCW class elsewhere as long as I dont have to deal with that @@@ ever again.  I'd pay 200 Extra dollars just to not go there and not complain once about it.... Further more this guy showed me how much Tod paid from his dealer book and its certainly a RIP OFF....

I actually had a much different outcome with him. Maybe I got ripped off and didn't know it. Got a Ruger LCP for $275, a Smith and Wesson M&P40C for $495, and a Ruger SR9 stainless $430  I thought the prices were reasonable but thats cause I dealt with Shooters Choice a lot before.  They have a awful mark up. Does anyone know if those prices were good?

Hank

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 02:13:59 PM »
Hi all.
Living down here In Sussex county and for only about 6 years now, I have delt with 3-4 gun shops, Shooters Choice In Dover, $?, Hopkins gun shop off the beeten path, 18647 Josephs Rd. in Milton, good people & good $, JD Defense, Georgetown, good people and good prices but not much stock, you would have to order & wait?, Steels gun shop, No coment!!! That's all I know.
Good luck, and good shooting. Semper Fi all. Hank.
" In God we trust, all others pay cash "

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 09:30:35 PM »
Took mine from Dave Johnson. Used to work at X-ring, and now I hear is at the gunshop on Rte 2 (Patriot?). Nice guy, VERY knowledgeable about carry laws. Would recommend.
New Castle County

Ravensfootball56

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 11:34:05 AM »

I wouldn't go to tod's Gun's ever again if he was giving away free guns...Long story short....His guns are not 25 dollars over dealer price like he advertises.  For example, I actually bought a Taurus PT 24/7 Pro 40 cal. from him for $430...Looked the next day and Gander Mountain has the same gun for sale for $429.99...I know with tax it would have been more but still its the base price im looking at here....Then when I found it cheaper on the net I printed out proof and Tod's website said they will beat and competitors price...Well Tod certainlt did not as a matter of fact all he could do was look at me and say "man they must buy them things by the truck load to sell them for that price" I know I would of had to pay for shipping and transfers but it still would have been cheaper... He's a crook...I finally ended my search at Branchy's gun shop in Laurel....Small Private owned shop with large on hand stock quantites.  Good ole' country sussex countain behind the counter who can tell you ANYthing you need to know and some things you dont want to know...I'd rather spend the money here than with some genius like Tod....Needless to Say I returned the gun to Tod, and Ill spend and extra 75 dollars to take the CCW class elsewhere as long as I dont have to deal with that @@@ ever again.  I'd pay 200 Extra dollars just to not go there and not complain once about it.... Further more this guy showed me how much Tod paid from his dealer book and its certainly a RIP OFF....

I actually had a much different outcome with him. Maybe I got ripped off and didn't know it. Got a Ruger LCP for $275, a Smith and Wesson M&P40C for $495, and a Ruger SR9 stainless $430  I thought the prices were reasonable but thats cause I dealt with Shooters Choice a lot before.  They have a awful mark up. Does anyone know if those prices were good?

NOW HERE IS THE FUNNY THING....I JUST VISITED TOD'S WEBSITE AND THE SAME GUN HE SOLD TO ME FOR 430 THAT I RETURNED BC IT WAS A RIP OFF HE IS NOW SELLING FOR 344....THATS IS A DEAL BUT STILL ID RATHER SPEND MORE MONEY JUST FOR THE PURE FACT THAT HE TRIED TO RIP ME OFF
BS

Ravensfootball56

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 10:17:55 AM »
I went to Tod's guns out of Laurel, DE.  Anyone else go through him?

I wouldn't go to tod's Gun's ever again if he was giving away free guns...Long story short....His guns are not 25 dollars over dealer price like he advertises.  For example, I actually bought a Taurus PT 24/7 Pro 40 cal. from him for $430...Looked the next day and Gander Mountain has the same gun for sale for $429.99...I know with tax it would have been more but still its the base price im looking at here....Then when I found it cheaper on the net I printed out proof and Tod's website said they will beat and competitors price...Well Tod certainlt did not as a matter of fact all he could do was look at me and say "man they must buy them things by the truck load to sell them for that price" I know I would of had to pay for shipping and transfers but it still would have been cheaper... He's a crook...I finally ended my search at Branchy's gun shop in Laurel....Small Private owned shop with large on hand stock quantites.  Good ole' country sussex countain behind the counter who can tell you ANYthing you need to know and some things you dont want to know...I'd rather spend the money here than with some genius like Tod....Needless to Say I returned the gun to Tod, and Ill spend and extra 75 dollars to take the CCW class elsewhere as long as I dont have to deal with that @@@ ever again.  I'd pay 200 Extra dollars just to not go there and not complain once about it.... Further more this guy showed me how much Tod paid from his dealer book and its certainly a RIP OFF....

Well good @@@@ thing I posted this about tod's Guns....His shop was raided and shut down by DSP and ATF in early Aug....Im hearing he was selling guns illegally w/o running state and federal checks on people.  I also heard he was teaching the CCDW class and signing some other instructors name just to get people thru....So this guy was bad for everyone in the Laurel and surrounding areas.  Im happy this happened, I hope they throw his @@@ away for a long time!
BS

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 08:57:50 PM »
Tods guns is where I went back in july. I also heard he was shutdown so I called the ag office about 3 weeks ago in ncc and was told they didnt shut him down  ???. Actually they informed tod that his certificates were not meeting their standards, So he pulled my certificate and told me it was fine and would not hold me up ???. I dont know what to believe. I was going to take another course just so I didnt get held up with a problem from tods. I know I tried to contact him after the class but never could contact him. I went down there due to the price and a 1 day class. I wish I knew then what I know now  :-\. I would of took a diferent class just to avoid the trouble.

Ravensfootball56

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 09:00:10 PM »
Tods guns is where I went back in july. I also heard he was shutdown so I called the ag office about 3 weeks ago in ncc and was told they didnt shut him down  ???. Actually they informed tod that his certificates were not meeting their standards, So he pulled my certificate and told me it was fine and would not hold me up ???. I dont know what to believe. I was going to take another course just so I didnt get held up with a problem from tods. I know I tried to contact him after the class but never could contact him. I went down there due to the price and a 1 day class. I wish I knew then what I know now  :-\. I would of took a diferent class just to avoid the trouble.

Yeah he is pretty much a lying, jackass, I was happy to hear the news! I wouldnt @@@@ on him if he was on fire!
BS

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 09:12:16 PM »
I had never been there before , only for the class , I didnt like my " gut feeling" about him. Is it a reliable person that told you that he got shut down? Im just wondering why the da"s office told me what they did? I just want to know so I can do what I need to so I dont get held up from the blisstering speed of this whole process  ;D