Author Topic: New here, from Newark and DELOC.  (Read 30380 times)

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Re: New here, from Newark and DELOC.
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 10:25:15 PM »
How about a letter like this one.

Honorable State Senators and Representatives,
On February 03, 2010, House Bill 258 was signed into law. House Bill 258 increases, from $34.50 to $65.00, the filing fee assessed by the Superior Court in connection with an application for a license to carry a concealed deadly weapon. The Act also extends the term of validity for new licenses from 2 to 3 years and the term of validity for renewal licenses from 3 to 5 years.
Increasing the fees for licenses, as well as the period for which such licenses are valid, will enhance efficiency and preserve resources by reducing the frequency with which the Superior Court and Attorney General’s Office must allocate resources to administer the program. This was strongly supported by the firearms community.
With that being said I would like to bring some concerns in regards to Delaware’s concealed carry permit process. In the past two years the wait time for a new permit has risen from 60 to 90 days to almost six or more months. This is due to a rise in the amount of applications being submitted and the lack of people to process these applications. This back log is also causing people who need to renew their permits to wait until the middle or the end of May to received their permits when their renewal applications were submitted in the beginning of January or February. There is also a concern that these people may not receive their permits before the May 31‘st deadline leaving these people in legal limbo as to whether or not they are still legally allowed to carry a concealed deadly weapon.
   My other concern is the Concealed Carry Permit itself. The permit has absolutely no anti-forgery protection. The permit is a printed card with a passport photo that is laminated. Many State agencies and private business now use computer printed ID cards similar to the drivers' licenses. These cards are less likely to be duplicated or reproduced. One of the State agencies that now use computer printed ID cards is the Delaware State Fire School (EMT cards).

I want to thank you for you time reading this email and would like you to strongly consider sponsoring a bill to rectify these concerns.

Thank you
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 11:26:56 PM »
I like that... it seems appropriate and polite.

My letter would include something like,
"I drive into unfamiliar neighborhoods, and fix computers in strangers' homes, for a living. If my CCDW permit expires, I'm out of business. Am I eligible to collect unemployment until my renewed permit shows up?"
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

wwd

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 01:11:21 AM »
Plus, where I live (Rt273/Harmony Rd just off I-95), there is more and more violent crime going on.

Actually, I OC when I can, knowing that it's the greatest deterrent know to man kind, vs CC. But I want the option to CC when appropriate, and so that I don't mistakenly cover-up.  Plus, I want the PA and FL permits.

Great notes...send them on.  I'll copy and modfiy/personalize, and send 'em also.  Any other points to cover?
OC - the single greatest deterrent known to mankind.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 10:41:05 AM »
I could be wrong, but I wasn’t aware of them ever having more than one person actually doing the work up there.  I mean, it’s always been that they were down people.  And it has always taken months and months and months.  Things have always gotten lost, misfiled, and otherwise delayed.  And this was back in the days when the number of applicants was much lower. 

It’s not a perfect system, but it does work – eventually.  It doesn’t make the process go faster, but some of the applicant’s best defenses are:  make sure to keep extra copies of your papers; drop of your papers in person (including renewals); and promptly return all calls.

Most of those people that you meet in the court house are simply normal and nice people that are overworked and underpaid.  They did take a pay cut last year, and despite what TNJ claims – most of them are not making $50K a year.

And on at least one occasion, my renewed permit did not come until early August.     
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

wwd

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 11:21:23 AM »
Someone posted about the office being down to 1 from 3.  Don't know.  All I know is I'm in week 12.  Up until a few months ago, from posts on DELOC, on average it was taking just about 12 weeks.  Now?  God and Dale only know.  Anyway, the looooooong wait continues....  ::)

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 11:19:57 PM »
WWD,
got my CCDW about 3-4 months ago in NCC. Took 19 weeks.
Good luck.
Lumspond
New Castle County

wwd

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 11:41:50 PM »
Guess I got some patience to dig for.   I called Dale Broome yesterday, and left a message of gratitude, and asked if it would be beneficial to bring my training CERT.  She was very pleasant, and pleased with the call I made yesterday.  She said it would save the office the need to notify me, then receive the paperwork, process it again to mail it out...again.  So I'll drop it off tomorrow, with some DDonuts to help grease the wheels of progress, and make some stressed and overworked folks' day a little nicer.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 11:10:50 AM »
Can I make a suggestion? instead of the donuts, get something different.  She just got donuts from another poster here (sorry cant remember who).  Maybe some soft pretzels from the phila pretzel place?  A hand written note that just says thanks is also always appreciated.  just my two cents. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

wwd

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 11:34:06 AM »
She just got donuts from another poster here

Me, I mentioned below, when I first submitted my app.  I do appreciate your suggestion.  If I go around lunch time, I'll take a mixed bag of good candy.  Thanks, Moosie.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 11:35:38 AM by wwd »

wwd

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2010, 04:05:16 PM »
Walked over around 9am yesterday.  Picked up a mixed bag of DDunot holes and delivered with my CCDW training certificate and copy.  So we'll see.  I'm also going to send a thank you card to Ms. Broome and crew.  It's easy to complain about things.  Yet it also takes little effort to be thankful.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2010, 10:56:24 PM »
Where bringing these people is a very nice gesture we are really missing the underlying issue that people are now going to be without their new permits next week and the May 31'st deadline will have passed. I don't understand why the State has ONE person to do the job of probably four or five people. I truly feel that it is an insult to our intelligence when the State doubled  the fee to file to fund the whole process and its taking longer then ever. Look at FL. at least they hired people to help.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

wwd

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 01:50:39 AM »
I understand there are waits on renewals.  That's not my issue, underlying or otherwise.  I was told 90 days when I filed.  I hit 90 days on Tuesday, and I haven't heard anything from anyone.  So I'd like to get it as soon as I can.     ???

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 02:13:28 AM »
Well, that answers one question: I was wondering if anyone was still waiting for their renewal, facing Tuesday morning without their permits.
That sucks.
When mine showed up Friday, I was hoping all of us had found permits in our mailboxes.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

wwd

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 01:42:42 PM »
Well, I feel bad for you who have not gotten your permits.  Mail won't be delivered until Tuesday.  I'm sure there are still many renewals not even ready to be mailed out.

Most people are good people, whether working in gov't, busn, prof'l, etc.  It's not easy on anyone.  And to think there are those who want gov't to manage health care for the entire country.   Yeah, right...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 01:45:44 PM by wwd »

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 08:22:08 PM »
Ok, so playing devils advocate here, does the permit have to be issued, mailed, or received by May 31st?

For carrying purposes, I'd imagine that you'd nEed to have it in hand no later than 5/31. OR, if you were carrying June 1st, your permit has been renewed but not received are you still good?

Just thinking out loud. I'll be renewing next year on Jan 1st! 
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident