Author Topic: Taurus PT1911-B1  (Read 5241 times)

Spartacus

Taurus PT1911-B1
« on: April 16, 2010, 03:28:44 PM »
I have wanted a 1911 for as long as I can remember wanting a handgun.  For the longest time it was the only handgun I would consider buying.  When I was old enough to buy a handgun funds were not sufficient enough to buy a 1911 so I settled for lesser more reasonably priced handguns.  Recently I came across some extra money and decided I would “Want” a 1911 no more and finally get one.  I first looked in the usual places associated with the 1911, Smith and Wesson, Springfield, Kimber, Para-Ordnance.  Prices were exactly where I thought they would be 1k average price. I was also looking at some other firearms for concealed carry and made my way to Taurus’s website (A place I rarely venture)  I noticed they had come out with their own 1911.  I was intrigued and did some research.  I found they priced out about half of what the other companies were producing there 1911 at.  I come from the school of thought that you get what you pay for so I was very skeptical that the Taurus could be a product in the same category with the other 1911 manufacturers, but all reviews I read praised the Taurus for creating a good quality, affordable product.  I had to try one because, why spend more than you have to.
I was able to take a Taurus PT1911-B1 to the range as well as a Kimber Custom CDP II on loan from a friend.  I shot 100 rounds through each firearm and to my surprise the Kimber failed to outperform the Taurus.  Yes, the Kimber is cosmetically superior to the Taurus 10 fold but as far as performance the Taurus was ever bit it’s equal.  Now I was faced with a problem do I spend the extra 500+ dollars on a Kimber or equivalent 1911 or pocket it in favor of the equally performing Taurus.  In the end I decided on the Kimber and had it ordered.  Two weeks later I got cold feet cancelled the order and bought the Taurus.  I came to realize that the only reason I wanted the Kimber was because I was afraid of what others might think (People who obviously haven’t shot the Taurus 1911) I needed to sack up and do the right thing. Why buy the Ferrari if the Corvette does the same thing at half the price right?  I am still not a fan of much of Taurus’s product line but they made me a believer of their 1911 Line (Which has a lifetime warranty BTW)
I will add pic’s and keep updates about this 1911, I will be the first to tell any of you if I have any problems with it as well.
LET me know what you think.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Re: Taurus PT1911-B1
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 12:06:47 AM »
If you like the Taurus stick with it. Kimbers can be very fickle and a lot have to be returned to be adjusted.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Spartacus

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 03:02:34 AM »
I'm not a fan of the company necessarily but I like this firearm so far.

Spartacus

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 08:18:20 PM »
I'll have new Grips coming in I'll post pictures after they get here.

Hank

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 08:51:41 AM »
Hi all.
I have quite a few 1911 and one of them Is the Taurus PT1911 In S.S. I also have many? other Taurus's mostly autos, The Judge Is the only Taurus revolver that I own. They all work well for me. Most but not all the bad mouthing that I have heard about the Taurus line was from people that don't have them. I call the Taurus line, " The gun that people love to hate " A firearm Is a tool, and It depends on how well that tool works for you! I have also heard that there cusromer service Is very bad? But I guess I'm just lucky In that dept. I never had to use them.
" In God we trust, all others pay cash, Semper Fi all. Hank.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 01:30:58 PM »
Hey spartacus...any update on the Taurus? Still running nicely
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!