Author Topic: Carried for the first time  (Read 9623 times)

g23

Carried for the first time
« on: May 10, 2010, 03:20:26 PM »
So I got my permit last week but have not recieved my holster from crossbreed yet so I figured I would just wait to carry. That thought lasted a day..lol.. The only hoster I have is my glock sport combat holster which would work ok on a cold winter day for concealing but not the best for shorts and a T-shirt. I said screw and put it on anyway. I was going to to pick up a few things for the house and my first stop was Lowes. All went well until I was checking out and I had to bend over to pick up something I dropped and I felt my shirt come up a little which I thought was enough to see my little friend. Of coarse im checking out in front of the exit door where there is someone stand greeting people as they leave. So I pay and begin walking out and the girl at the door says have great day officer. I quietly tell her that I am not LEO which led to the questions of why do I have a gun and am I allowed to carry it and so on.. In the end it was no big deal just had some friendly convo with the lady and was on my way. I really hope my holster comes in soon so I dont have to have that problem anymore but I do think its funny that people assume that only LEO carry.

As for the rest of my day/weekend it went great.. It feels good to carry and it became a very natural feeling by the end of the weekend.

Spartacus

Re: Carried for the first time
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 03:49:23 PM »
I am debating and debating over holsters.  I read only good things about the crossbreed.  Hopefully its worth the wait.

g23

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 04:18:21 PM »
i have read all good things too. Ill be sure to let you know what i think about it when/if it comes

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 05:45:08 PM »
I went through similar incidents when I first started carrying under a "covering garment." The gun got flashed, and a few people noticed it.
I'm a bit too heavy to go IWB, so I bought a Safepacker. Now I carry in plain sight, year round, and I don't care who sees it.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 06:54:52 PM »
... to see my little friend.

Well, with your CCDW in hand (pocket), you dont have to worry about "THAT" little friend popping out.
The other one might have caused you a little trouble.

NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

g23

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 08:32:41 PM »
... to see my little friend.

Well, with your CCDW in hand (pocket), you dont have to worry about "THAT" little friend popping out.
The other one might have caused you a little trouble.

LOL.  I would just rather not bring any attention to the fact that im carrying.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 08:54:34 PM »
I agree.  Maybe a few shirts 1 size larger will help.   ;D
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 02:09:17 PM »
OMG, you guys have me laughing my butt off over here. 

ROFL!!!

g23, first, if it were me, I wouldnt have corrected him/her and just kept going.  You didnt waive a badge and say you were a cop, and while it's preferred to not show your weapon at all, I share info on an as needed basis, and she didnt need to know. 

Also, if you're carrying with a new holster, in a new outfit, whatever....  imagine every possible position you might find yourself in where you will still be attempting to conceal your weapon.  This includes bending over, sitting down, squatting down (if your looking at something on the bottom shelf at Lowes), etc.  Ask a friend or family member to look and see if your printing or if you've just been exposed.  I've tried on I dont know how many outfits and asked my husband if he can tell Im carrying, etc.  Of course, my firearm has a name -- Betty.  If I question whether or not "Betty" is showing, I simply ask.  Have you seen Betty?  and he'll let me know if something is awry. 

Practice carrying around your house before you start carrying outside your home just to get comfortable with everything.

Good luck.  And bes ure your other little friend doesnt cross the line of sight of your OTHER little friend.  LOL 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 05:02:58 PM »
OMG, betty? The innuendos I feel like typing right now! ;) but anyway...absolutely right, I used to bump into doorways when I first started, then I learned to give myself an extra couple of inches. Now I'm kinda at the point of not really caring if it shows. I would never intentionally show but if somebody happens to see my betty (god that feels weird to say) than I kinda figure oh well, its gonna happen.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 05:21:36 PM »
I think you're would be Harry or something...  not Betty! LOL

I laugh when I think of how "Betty" got her name in the first place.  My Grandmothers name was Elizabeth and was always called Betty.  She was definitely a pistol!!  So yup... thats why its called Betty.  :)

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

g23

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 06:28:16 PM »

g23, first, if it were me, I wouldnt have corrected him/her and just kept going.  You didnt waive a badge and say you were a cop, and while it's preferred to not show your weapon at all, I share info on an as needed basis, and she didnt need to know. 

Good luck.  And bes ure your other little friend doesnt cross the line of sight of your OTHER little friend.  LOL 

Moosie

At first I  wasnt going to stop and tell her but I figured if I  didnt say anything it would be me acting like a cop which im not and dont want to lead anyone to think so.

And all this talk about my other "little friend" His nickname is Zeus and he doesnt like being called little...LOL.. actually it doesnt have a nickname but I had to come up with something that sounded big

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 07:07:14 PM »
Unless you identified yourself as a cop there's nothing illegal about it.  Of course, that is to an extent.  But, in the future, just keep walking and say have a great one!  Its no one's business and NO ONE is deserved of an explanation (except law enforcement of course).  And no, I'm not saying to just go ahead and leave everyone thinking your a cop.  Well.. you know what I mean.

Now, if you look like a scum bag hippie and your "accidentally revealing" your umm.. "little friend", then more than likely someone in a uniform will be called and you'll have to give an explanation, etc.  Somehow that doesnt fit you.  :) 

the whole reason you got a permit was to carry a CONCEALED deadly weapon.  Keep it concealed and keep everything else to yourself. 

Moosie

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 08:20:42 PM »
... my firearm has a name -- Betty. 

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has a name for their firearm.  Named after the ANTI(s).
That's all I'll say....  ;D

Spartacus

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 11:41:38 PM »
... my firearm has a name -- Betty. 

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has a name for their firearm.  Named after the ANTI(s).
That's all I'll say....  ;D

Definitely never named any of my firearms, and I even went through Marine Corps bootcamp (See Full Metal jacket if you don't know what i'm talking about)

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 12:36:46 AM »
I went through USN bootcamp and never named mine either.  :)

Moosie