Author Topic: how concealed is concealed?  (Read 10849 times)

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
Re: how concealed is concealed?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 10:42:22 AM »
I believe that a fair amount of great responses have been given, so I won’t belabor those points.  But, one important thing to remember is the concealed carry is not without compromise.  If you are used to wearing a bikini and filp-flops – that will not work for concealed carry.  So, that’s your starting point.  Working backwards from there, it’s simply a matter of discovering the type and amount of clothing, coupled with the type of weapon, and finishing it off with the method and location of carry.  And that’s not necessarily the order that you will go in.  You may be hell-bent on toting a Casull around, and will have to spend a lot of time figuring out where to hide it, or you may just want to wear a t-shirt – and then have to figure out what it hides.  It’s been said before, but – during a gunfight, no one ever said “I wish that I had brought a smaller gun.”  Another part of the compromise is that you need to be carrying as much as you can.  Obviously, trips to Stalin-land (Maryland) and Hell (Jersey) will probably be without your hand cannon, but trips to Home Depot should not be.   So, it’s a matter of getting a combo that works for you.  Everyone on here will gladly tell you that the heat-waves encountered during the last six or so weeks have not been fun, especially while toting around some hardware.  That inconvenience, however is better than being down on the hot concrete, cooled only by your leaking blood, while waiting for the ambulance to come pick you up after becoming a soon-to-be-dead victim.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 11:14:43 AM »
Corbon,

Can we see you trying to carry concealed in your bikini and flip flops? LOL 

To add to this very good discussion, when I first started carrying, I felt like everyone in the world just KNEW I was carrying a firearm!!  I felt like it stuck out like a sore thumb (regardless of how many times I checked in the mirrors, etc).  The day I really started relaxing was the first time I went to my in-laws and realized my mother in law never saw it.  And trust me, she doesnt miss a trick.  She's also very anti-gun so I knew right then and there that I was doing just great with the concealment aspect. 

As CorBon said, there are several things to consider when carrying concealed.  In my opinion, your gun should never peek out... I know this happens and has happened to me as well, but the idea is that its not acceptable (Just my opinion).  On the other hand, just about everyone you encounter who realizes your carrying a gun will typically think, Oh.. he / she is "allowed" to carry it. and they'll keep on moving. 

For now, I'm going to go back to trying to reposition my firearm so I can wear my bikini again at Red Eyes!! 

:)  Stay safe guys!  Its a crazy world!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 01:12:30 PM »

To answer the OP...DE is an open carry state, so it is my understanding* that there is NO legal significance to printing, so long as you actually have your CCDW.

[BELLS GOING OFF AND LIGHTS FLASHING]  Jackpot! The winner of todays question. Cannot even add to it. Ya nailed it Trevor.

NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

czer

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 03:37:16 PM »
What great, honest feedback! OK, so I am now thinking, instead of focusing on smaller size pistols like a Ruger LCR, or Kel Tec, I should be spending my time on looking into various holsters. And if money has to be wasted, I would rather experiment there. I did not really want to go down to a .380, would rather stay at 9mm and up. Would anyone like a review of my Kahr CW9? I do not have tons of handgun experience, owned or shot a dozen, but you all have been great, I want to contribute to this fantastic forum.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 03:50:48 PM »
I agree, spend the money on holsters. I have two carry guns and two holsters for each, depending on what I'm wearing and doing that particular day. And please yes, do a review on the Kahr.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 12:04:34 PM »
Corbon,

Can we see you trying to carry concealed in your bikini and flip flops?

Cross-dressing isn't for everyone, but it's for me!  Oh, wait, wrong forum.  Sorry 'bout that.

It's been discussed before, but you will probably wind up with a pile of holsters that you found to be -- not useful.  It's not the best use of your money, but it's the best way to find out what works for you.  And although it seems silly, there are tons of articles out there detailing the different ways to carry, and the pros and cons of each (it seems silly, because why would someone have to write an article about how to carry anything, right?).  And there are several articles and reviews (both the paid-writer and user types) out there describing various holsters.  But what makes me happy and works for me, might not work for you.  Which leads you back to your own soon-to-be-bought pile of used-a-couple-of-times holsters.

I've worked my way through carrying several different firearms, and have a pile of holsters for each.  I've tried everything:  shoulder (both horizontal and vertical); IWB; OWB (paddle and belt-looped); cross-draw; ankle; off-body; hell -- everything but just walking down the street carrying the thing in my hand.  The problem is that reading an article or review, or looking at pictures of the thing online or in a magazine, or even holding one in your hand at the store -- doesn't really provide you with the feedback that you will get by using it.  So, its kind of a Catch-22 -- you often have to spend money to find out that you shouldn't have spent the money.     

It looks like you are well on your way to researching this issue, so that's great.  I cannot stress enough that you can't spend TOO MUCH time looking into this subject, and am hard-pressed to say that you could spend too much money getting decent gear (unless you've spent over $200 to carry around a Jennings J-22 or something like that).     
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 12:57:20 PM »
I'd like to hear about the Kahr CW9 too.  I've shot my buddies 3" 45 Kahr.  First shot was a real eye opener!  Brass came directly back and hit me BETWEEN the eyes...  (yes....  eyes & ears were on)

Corbon in a bikini and flip flops? .....  A sight I really did not need to imagine....  ;D
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2010, 08:42:49 PM »
Corbon,

Can we see you trying to carry concealed in your bikini and flip flops? LOL  

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 08:12:25 PM by Sigarms12 »
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Gorski

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2010, 08:52:22 PM »
I felt the same way when I started carrying, but as others have said, no one will notice.  Looser fitting clothes are the way to go
Never leave home without it!
New Castle County